3 4 5 6
mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltraDork
3/6/14 5:19 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

That's the point. Jeep, hell, all of Chrysler hasn't had a car to compete in this segment. You could argue for the Patriot, but they didn't get the mileage necessary nor did they have the refinement.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
3/6/14 6:42 p.m.

Yeah, they're gonna sell a zillion of them. That's because image trumps everything else.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/6/14 7:39 p.m.

In reply to Curmudgeon:

true but this thing looks like it is capable as well.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/6/14 7:41 p.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Yeah, they're gonna sell a zillion of them. That's because image trumps everything else.

That's a universal truth with cars. Even here, where we love the Miata of all things, image matters. We love "cool" cars. Everyone loves cool cars. As long as a million people think these are cool, and they're not complete junk, they'll sell a million of them.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
3/6/14 8:57 p.m.

It is pretty much what I want for my next car. There were 5 snow storms this year where I did not have enough ground clearance to get home from work, but I need decent mileage for the rest of the year and don't want anything too big to find parking for. I was thinking I would like a Patriot but i think this looks better. Time to start saving for a down payment.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
3/7/14 2:21 a.m.

@FlightService: Which one of those has a stick shift and a tow rating? Answer: NONE.

I think the only answer to my needs is a Mazda CX-5. I hope they don't quit making the sticks.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/7/14 8:28 a.m.

Why no CX-5 in the selection? Cause that is one I would choose.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/7/14 8:28 a.m.

Why no CX-5 in the selection? Cause that is one I would choose.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/7/14 9:03 a.m.

Pulled the Enclave and replaced it with CX5 on Page 4 for voting.

Just forgot about the CX5 is the only reason.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
3/7/14 9:34 a.m.

I dont know why some of you are hung up on US tow ratings. The manufacturers want you to buy a giant truck to tow anything and they can withhold their blessing to do it. Look at the same vehicle in Europe and you have your tow rating. It is all a ploy to keep from having towing related warranty payouts and to force people with limited towing needs into a vehicle bigger than they need. There WILL be an aftermarket tow bar available by the time this thing hits the market. Just add it and move one.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/7/14 10:03 a.m.

We are probably going to be buying a new cute-ute for my wife soonish and the Renegade would be a possibility but it is not coming out soon enough and I wouldn't buy a first year model of a car anyway.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
3/7/14 1:44 p.m.

Anybody know if this will come with a 5 or 6 spd manual?

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
3/7/14 1:48 p.m.

"Our sources tell us that North America will get a 1.4T powered version with a 6-speed manual as the sole transmission option."

From Truth About Cars

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
3/7/14 4:46 p.m.

Some things that may matter in these crossovers for those who are interested in light off-roading:

1) is the traction control defeatable?
Some cars have decent specs for off the pavement, like the Subaru Outback, but full-time traction control can leave you stranded in sandy/boggy situations.
2) How good is the AWD/ 4WD really?
Cars like the Mazda CX5 and Honda CRV are often AWD in name only. Even in extreme wheel slip, some AWD systems will send only minimal power to the rear wheels.
3) what's the radiator placement?
Some cars have impressive ground clearance numbers, but the lowest part happens to be the aluminum radiator, unprotected by a skidplate. I'm looking at you, Nissan Juke.

In the Renegade's case, it looks as though only the top-end Trailhawk model will feature "lockable" 4wd with low range, skid plates, and a 1-inch lift. Unfortunately that model also has the 2.4liter and 9-speed as standard equipment.

Hopefully Mopar will offer the skid plates and lift as optional equipment. I'd love a turbo 6-speed with skid plates and a lift kit. I'd love the diesel other markets get even more, if I'm dreaming though.

EvanR
EvanR HalfDork
3/7/14 11:57 p.m.

I can dig putting a tow hitch on an out-of-warranty vehicle and doing whatever the hell you want with it. On a new vehicle, you can run into warranty issues. Yes, I know about Moss-Magnusun and all that jazz, but I don't have either the time or the money to fight every warranty denial.

I'm hearing anecdotal reports around the 'net suggesting that when the owner of a CVT-equipped Nissan shows up for warranty service, and the car has a hitch, Nissan's policy is to deny any claims, and let the owner fight for it.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
3/8/14 7:13 a.m.

In reply to EvanR:

Mopar is offering a hitch for the Renegade, so I don't think they will be denying warrantee work based on that alone.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde SuperDork
3/8/14 7:13 a.m.

I saw one of the new Cherokees in person for th first time yesterday, a trailhawk. I was stunned at how good it looked from the front wheels back, and it was smaller than I was expecting. Now I cant wait to see the Renegade in person.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/14 8:17 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: Some things that may matter in these crossovers for those who are interested in light off-roading: 1) is the traction control defeatable? Some cars have decent specs for off the pavement, like the Subaru Outback, but full-time traction control can leave you stranded in sandy/boggy situations. 2) How good is the AWD/ 4WD really? Cars like the Mazda CX5 and Honda CRV are often AWD in name only. Even in extreme wheel slip, some AWD systems will send only minimal power to the rear wheels. 3) what's the radiator placement? Some cars have impressive ground clearance numbers, but the lowest part happens to be the aluminum radiator, unprotected by a skidplate. I'm looking at you, Nissan Juke. In the Renegade's case, it looks as though only the top-end Trailhawk model will feature "lockable" 4wd with low range, skid plates, and a 1-inch lift. Unfortunately that model also has the 2.4liter and 9-speed as standard equipment. Hopefully Mopar will offer the skid plates and lift as optional equipment. I'd love a turbo 6-speed with skid plates and a lift kit. I'd love the diesel other markets get even more, if I'm dreaming though.

The AWD system in the Renegade is supposed to be able to transfer 100% of the power to 1 wheel and is has a sand setting. The Trailhawk ads a rock setting. FYI

Wally
Wally MegaDork
3/8/14 10:38 a.m.

I'm way ahead of them. My Malibu can also send all it's power to one wheel.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
3/8/14 12:26 p.m.

In reply to Wally:

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
3/8/14 1:03 p.m.
Wally wrote: In reply to Flight Service: I'm way ahead of them. My Malibu can also send all it's power to one wheel.

AHAHAHAHAA! Laughed way to much at that one

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/8/14 6:07 p.m.

But can you be like the clutch burning Z06 guy and send all the power through no wheels?

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
2/17/15 3:20 p.m.

So I looked up some of the reviews on these. So far they seem positive and liken the 1.4t six speed to a hot hatch vs a SUV.

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
2/17/15 3:28 p.m.

I did a little looking at these online. For some reason, A/C isn't standard. Not sure why they did that. A base model with A/C and a few other basics is 21K. That seems steep for something that is not much bigger than a Fiesta.

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
2/17/15 6:39 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

In a way, I'm actually glad to hear that. It's nice to actually have options to choose from, and I really don't miss a/c too often on the 3 vehicles in our fleet that don't have it.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DZskhxzZDRdtrcYLQL9uFTDSfvonC2fZInuvY5TPlgnwoex3L39QVBuoGri3kkCD