1 2 3
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/5/24 10:09 a.m.

Just came across this chart that ranks the top 50 sandwiches from around the world.

Not sure what the criteria are (and I'll do a little more looking into the creator of the chart, tasteatlas, just out of curiosity), but how much do we agree with the rankings?

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
7/5/24 10:21 a.m.

First of all, where's the peanut butter sandwich here???  It should be near the top.

Second, all of my fellow Philly people will tell you a good cheesesteak should be waaaay farther up.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/5/24 10:27 a.m.

If Welsh Rarebit is in there, so should grilled cheese. That's all that is anyway. 

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
7/5/24 10:33 a.m.

For being so highly ranked, a spiedie is pretty niche, I had to Google it because I'd never heard of it before, and my friends eat narwhal and auk. 

No primantis? No pulled pork? 

Some interesting choices no less, maybe some inspiration for summer cooking.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
7/5/24 10:38 a.m.
alfadriver said:

If Welsh Rarebit is in there, so should grilled cheese. That's all that is anyway. 

Grilled cheese, hell yeah!!

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/5/24 10:47 a.m.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.tenor.com%2FdlLdNF3Z-CUAAAAd%2Fthe-big-lebowski-thats-like-your-opinion-man.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=490ad0a9a8b5256a333c7c8951c52786a7b686608e0d8f2ab3c75bf825dafd59&ipo=images

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
7/5/24 10:47 a.m.

I would put any of these up against a dressed roast beef po-boy, on real French bread,  from New Orleans.

preach
preach UltraDork
7/5/24 2:12 p.m.

If you think a Lobster Roll is 6th you are berkeleying wrong and your opinion is like the delectable Lobster Roll farts coming out of my New Hampshire butt.

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
7/5/24 2:18 p.m.

No Porchetta sangwich.

Can't take it seriously.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/5/24 2:34 p.m.

No Torta? Fake news!smiley

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
7/5/24 2:35 p.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

From Russels short stop on transcontinental

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
7/5/24 2:41 p.m.

Did the chart vanish or am I the only one who can't see it?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/5/24 2:54 p.m.

I'm pretty sure that any random sandwich shop or restaurant in Italy, Brazil, Miami, Chicago, or New York could fill this list on their own. And my list of places is woefully short. 

Also, a combo sandwich is the best for me. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/5/24 3:48 p.m.

Chicken salad with good fries, please. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/5/24 4:04 p.m.

Best by population?  2% of the people in China may like PB&J and easily out run Chicken Salad, Lobster roll etc.  I question it all.

And it looks like Americans like Spiedie more than Bagle & Lox, a Rueben, or a frikkin' Cheese Steak?  Someone throw the flag!

johndej
johndej UltraDork
7/5/24 4:12 p.m.

Bologna! (, fried).

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
7/5/24 4:19 p.m.

Fake news.

Ruben should be number 1.

Wtf is muffaletta?

Turboeric
Turboeric Reader
7/5/24 4:23 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Croque Monsieur is French for grilled cheese.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/5/24 4:40 p.m.

The rankings on their page seem to disagree with this list a bit, but it's still a fairly solid list all around.

https://www.tasteatlas.com/sandwiches

A few observations, though:

1. The italian beef at 75 is an absolute hate crime.

2. Not enough straight up fish sandwiches on the list. A good ol' fried/blackened/grilled slice of densely-fleshed fish on a bun is easy top-20 material.

3. Highest-ranking chicken dish is hot chicken at 29. Big whiff here. There's at least three chicken variations that should be in the top 25.

4. Highest ranked ground beef sandwich is a chopped cheese at 70. Meatball and paty melt are somehow even lower than that. This is the kind of stuff that gets you list investigated by The Hague.

5. Zero mention of gyros or variants, so I'll assume they were omitted by some sort of rules weirdness lest we invalidate the list entirely.

EDIT: Also, if they're going to allow in so many other variants, like all the various regional lobster rolls and banh mi variations, they missed a huge call with the Tampa Cuban, which is the mathematically superior Cubano variant.

David S. Wallens
7/5/24 5:36 p.m.

I'd drive to Tampa for a Cuban--and have. :)

David S. Wallens
7/5/24 5:45 p.m.

Adding this to the conversation. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/5/24 8:21 p.m.
Turboeric said:
alfadriver said:

Croque Monsieur is French for grilled cheese.

Technically croque monsieur is grilled ham and cheese. Croque madam is the same thing with an egg. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/5/24 8:23 p.m.

Also, the American Cuban and the Cuban Medianoche is the same sandwich. Just with slightly different bread. 

So another sandwich who gets two spots on the list. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/5/24 8:25 p.m.

One more thing, the Puerto Rican Jibarito does not use bread- but large tostones. Does it count as a sandwich w/o bread?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
7/5/24 9:23 p.m.

No hot brown? Uncouth heathens.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dIs37R6Tzb9uPizYJiTJr04qttEV4Ol3siKNgCIveQ7BIyMR6GQd96qzvkPQSqWj