iceracer
iceracer Reader
8/21/08 8:37 a.m.

Two days in July while I was out of time and no one home I have been charged for several 900 calls . One from my regular phone company and five by "Ameritel Service" who I have never heard of. How can this be done and particularly on the two days when no one is at home. I have never in my life made a 900 call.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
8/21/08 8:43 a.m.

What plane were you on when you left time? It was probably American Airways charging their space time continuum useage charge when you jumped to the other dimension,

Seriously, someone was either in your house or tapped your line.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
8/21/08 8:57 a.m.

No one was in the house. The wire tapping may be a possibility since a friend has also been getting charged with 900#s. I thought it curious that these calls were made on the particular days that I was not at home and they ran from early in the morning and at various times all day. I am going to call my phone company and have them investigate.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
8/21/08 9:01 a.m.

Do you have a cordless phone?

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/21/08 9:03 a.m.

Years ago, when my brother and I were living together, we got a HUGE phone bill. Of course, brother opened it, and immediately assumed that I had made some uber-expensive calls. Once he calmed down and handed me the bill, I found the offending calls. They were made to countries in Africa (and Aisa, IIRC) that I had to look up in the atlas to even be aware that they truely did exist. I then noticed that they had odd codes beside them. Called the phone company and found out that the code meant someone else had denied the calls, so they though we "might" have made the call, so they put it on our bill. Since we disputed it (we were both in school when the calls were made), they promptly removed them from our bill. From that point on, I have been fairly diligent about reading bills line by line.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/21/08 9:08 a.m.

Many years ago, a high school buddy climed atop a 7-11 at night and tapped into the pay phone line. He made all kinds of calls from that number for about two months.

Doc brings up a good point: if you have a cordless phone and the handset is left off the base, it's very possible for someone standing within range to make a call.

I also had an old roomie's overnight guest make a $50 900 number call to a gambling line. I called the phone company, they said they'd waive the charges one time but only if I agreed to a 900 number block. Well hell yeah, what are you waiting for? Block the damn things!

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
8/21/08 9:38 a.m.

Piss off any women lately? A girl was jilted by her boyfriend who took his new found love on a cruise. While they were away she used her key to call the taped weather loop phone number in Tokyo!

THAT was a bill.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
8/21/08 10:28 a.m.

also check to see if your phone box outside is locked. back when i was in high school if i forgot my keys and was locked out, i figured out that i could get an old phone from the storage shed that we kept unlocked, open the (home side) phone box, unplug the line that went into the house (it uses a regular phone plug) plug in the old phone to call my parents to see when i would be let in.

all someone needs is a phone and phone cord, and your unlocked phone box to make all the calls they want.

cwh
cwh Dork
8/21/08 11:37 a.m.

As an alarm guy, I always had a "butt set" with me. That's a hand set with alligator clips to fasten to any available phone line. Instant free calls. I didn't do that, but I knew guys that did. Telephone poles, back of buildings, side of a house, those telco junction boxes are all over the place and wide open for this crap.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
8/21/08 6:20 p.m.

I do have a cordless phone. Pretty sure it was on the hook. My phone box is accesible with a screw driver but I can't see some one standing along side my house for two days making calls. Never had this happen before. It puzzles me that it only happened on the days I was out of town.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/21/08 7:22 p.m.

The closest i came(pun not intnded) to calling a 900# was when i went to call into a radio show, I miss dialed, and recived a mesage to call a different # for some "live action"

I was hoping this was about saabs...

iceracer
iceracer Reader
8/22/08 10:55 a.m.

I found another odd thing when going over the bills. Ameritel list a call on 7/26 at 9:17 am for 7 min. My phone co. lists a call on 7/26 at 9:18 am for 1 min. Now how is that possible ?

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
8/22/08 11:22 a.m.

calling 1-800-TICK-UPS instead of 1-800-PICK-UPS will get you a recording to call a different number for adult chat.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/22/08 12:35 p.m.

That two calls at the same time thing sounds more like someone hacked the phone company's computers and is billing stuff at random, so to speak.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
8/22/08 6:20 p.m.

I think that may be what happened. A friend has also been getting charged for calls. I have notified my phone company and they checked for a tap, there was none.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
8/22/08 9:14 p.m.
iceracer wrote: I found another odd thing when going over the bills. Ameritel list a call on 7/26 at 9:17 am for 7 min. My phone co. lists a call on 7/26 at 9:18 am for 1 min. Now how is that possible ?

Could that be call waiting?

iceracer
iceracer Reader
8/23/08 12:47 p.m.

Don't have call waiting.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bEpNClnjeTh1ZblkpFyHdt9t2pIhbiR17inuXNWN9eLqFgaYe1MJcHkWT70iIFHv