1 2
eastpark
eastpark New Reader
8/16/08 9:38 a.m.

Just watched the Men's 100M finals - wow...

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
8/16/08 12:17 p.m.

Nothing like putting it in cruise control the last 7 strides or so and high stepping it at the end on top of that!

Clay
Clay Reader
8/18/08 6:23 a.m.

Yeah, he wasn't exactly humble, but I guess when you are that fast, you have the right to be cocky. Still when your race is only 10 seconds long, you would think you could wait till it's over to start celebrating.

Did you see that the Jamaican women got all three medals in the 100m. Jamaica has some fast sprinters!

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/18/08 6:27 a.m.

he could have gone 9.59 if he didn't highstep.. bet his coach was angry after that.

cwh
cwh Dork
8/18/08 6:47 a.m.

Everybody laughed when they tried the bobsled, but with sprinters like that, they pulled it off. You are looking at a truly third world country with very little infrastructure to support training of world class athletes, but, wow, they do produce some fantastic runners. Party time in Jamaica, Mon!

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
8/18/08 7:02 a.m.

Did anyone notice that EVERY athelete seemed to be training in the sates?

Bob Costas said:The swimmer from Blahblahstan trained with Yuri Apaintheasski at Auburn, while Sorerump from Pokeyouwhereyoustan trains at Michigan.
bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
8/18/08 7:56 a.m.

Bolt, what a name. The guy is superhuman, no doubt about it. Did you read about his pre-race warm-up?

Crazy Fast human said:I woke up at 11, sat around, watched TV, then I had lunch, some nuggets, then I pretty much went back to my room and slept for another three hours, went back, got some more nuggets, and then I came to the track

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
8/18/08 9:25 a.m.
cwh wrote: Everybody laughed when they tried the bobsled, but with sprinters like that, they pulled it off. You are looking at a truly third world country with very little infrastructure to support training of world class athletes, but, wow, they do produce some fantastic runners. Party time in Jamaica, Mon!

Did you notice- outside of the runners from the US, the field was from the Carribbean? Man, if there was a Carribbean track and field championship, who would of thought it would be of the best in the world?

Besided Jamacia, Trididad/Tobago, Bahmas, Netherlands Antillies, Antigua were all well represented in the 100M.

And the American who finished third ran for Florida State.

Must be something about the sun down there.

Timmy- time to start hitting the track. You're still young.

Eric

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
8/18/08 9:27 a.m.
ignorant wrote: he could have gone 9.59 if he didn't highstep.. bet his coach was angry after that.

Why? He just won Jamacia's first 100M Olympic Gold medal. Seems like that's the real point.

As soon as he realized that, he celbrated. So what if that was 10M from the finish or 10M past? But that domination was awesome.

E-

midknight
midknight New Reader
8/18/08 10:33 a.m.

Yeah, lots of celebrating on the island the last two days. I was on the phone with family down there while they were running and everyone was going crazy. We all feel a bit sad for Asafa Powell though. His fifth place again will really bug him for a while. Dix did a great job. Always underestimated, he comes through again! Go Noles!!

midknight
midknight New Reader
8/18/08 10:33 a.m.

Yeah, lots of celebrating on the island the last two days. I was on the phone with family down there while they were running and everyone was going crazy. We all feel a bit sad for Asafa Powell though. His fifth place again will really bug him for a while. Dix did a great job. Always underestimated, he comes through again! Go Noles!!

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
8/18/08 11:08 a.m.

From what I understand, sprinting is basically the national sport in Jamaica. And it is amazing that a country of such limited resources (both money, and population) can dominate an event like they did this year.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair HalfDork
8/18/08 11:43 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
ignorant wrote: he could have gone 9.59 if he didn't highstep.. bet his coach was angry after that.
Why? He just won Jamacia's first 100M Olympic Gold medal. Seems like that's the real point. As soon as he realized that, he celbrated. So what if that was 10M from the finish or 10M past? But that domination was awesome. E-

because celebrating before the finish line is poor sportsmanship. it insults his competitors and it devalues the trophy. i hate it no matter who does it or where. i love to see high-steppers get caught at the finish, or stumble and fall, etc.

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout New Reader
8/18/08 4:20 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
Why? He just won Jamacia's first 100M Olympic Gold medal. Seems like that's the real point. As soon as he realized that, he celbrated. So what if that was 10M from the finish or 10M past? But that domination was awesome. E-
because celebrating before the finish line is poor sportsmanship. it insults his competitors and it devalues the trophy. i hate it no matter who does it or where. i love to see high-steppers get caught at the finish, or stumble and fall, etc.

I 100% agree with the above. There's no denying that the guy's talented but celebrating during a 10 second race is embarassing. They should make him run the men's marathon as punishment.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/18/08 4:22 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:

because it wasn't his best performance. So he won.. Good job. He may never have another chance to set the world record in the olympics. Missed opportunity. + Its how I view my own little sad life. Nothing is ever good enough. Always push harder.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis Dork
8/18/08 4:23 p.m.

If his other competitors feel embarrassed or insulted, they should practice more.

The guy had every right to celebrate. I would like to have seen him finish to see what he could have done, but something tells me he's saving it until he gets a real challenge.

-Rob

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
8/19/08 7:10 a.m.
ignorant wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
because it wasn't his best performance. So he won.. Good job. He may never have another chance to set the world record in the olympics. Missed opportunity. + Its how I view my own little sad life. Nothing is ever good enough. Always push harder.

Uh, I thought the point was to win the race. Which he did.

The record is secondary.

Gold medal = winner, right?

He even said in interviews that he didn't care at all that he set a record, but it was most important to him and his country that he won, ie- finished the race in first place.

As for embarassing the rest- finishing 2 m in front of them was more embarassing if you ask me. If he poured it on and finished 5 m in front it wouldn't be worse- like going for a two point conversion on the 10th touchdown in a 70-0 blowout?

He won. He won the first gold for Jamacia. He DID break his own record. Just not enough, eh? Better to rub it in via the clock?

ok....

edit- lets not forget that he's also running the 200, which the final should be within an hour of this post...

I'm still happy for him.

E-

Clay
Clay Reader
8/19/08 8:43 a.m.

The more I think about it, it was just a display of very poor sportsmanship. Yeah, he won, but it is overshadowed by his cocky display and everyone will always wonder what he could have done! He will be an athelete that tons of kids look to for inspiration and every parent and coach will have to tell these kids, "Don't do it like he did it." I mean, winning is one thing, but he was basically mocking his competitors with a "where you at" expression and chest pound. This isn't just my opinion the commentators noted the same thing.

As for finishing so far ahead being more humiliating, nobody thinks that Phelps humiliated anyone with his record setting finishes. Now if HE had decided he would backstroke into the last wall during his freestyle domination while mocking his fellow competitors, we'd be saying the same thing about him.

Clay
Clay Reader
8/19/08 8:45 a.m.

BTW, I haven't seen the 200m final, but I'm thinking he will celebrate a bit differently when he wins it. And I'm sure he will win it. He's crazy fast.

boofighter
boofighter HalfDork
8/19/08 10:29 a.m.

you guys all sound like the kids in school who never won anything. i am not saying that is the case, some of you may have won everything, but the point is you sound like poor losers and you did not even compete.

doitover
doitover New Reader
8/19/08 11:45 a.m.

The inconsistencies people have in their beliefs is interesting. I'll bet that many of the people that think celebrating early is bad because it insults his competitors also think banning tag in schools is stupid.

These are big kids, not everyone gets to win.

AngryCorvair wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/19/08 12:05 p.m.

I still he could be faster if he stop celebrating. period.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
8/19/08 12:06 p.m.

He's supposed to be a world class sprinter. No, THE world class sprinter.

He should have the sportsmanship to finish the race.

Josh
Josh Reader
8/19/08 1:29 p.m.
SVreX wrote: He's supposed to be a world class sprinter. No, THE world class sprinter. He should have the sportsmanship to finish the race.

Exactly. Just like the Patriots should have had the sportsmanship not to play hard all the way to the end of all the football games they won by 30 points last year.

Wait a minute...

Clay
Clay Reader
8/20/08 8:01 a.m.

Well, he'll learn his lesson every time somebody interviews him about it when they ask the same exact question of "how fast do you think you COULD have gone." Already the celebration is mentioned whenever they show a replay.

Oh well. It seems simple to me, whatever the sport do your best to win and be respectful in the process. He got half of it right. In football that may mean letting up. So what.

I still think everyone would agree Phelps is a class act.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EiRCNV8iilcWwrPyEPd3yrIwM4UzSn78yspraUlegPhjbwGgD5UTIDQumUgTM3it