1 2
Whitey
Whitey New Reader
8/27/24 8:54 p.m.

I've heard alot of good comments about Buttonwood Beach, an RV resort in Earleville on the Elk River. They have rentals that can include a golf cart for getting around the resort, I believe. No personal experience though.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/27/24 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Yeah I was happy to pay $50 for a dozen of boys this past weekend where the smallest one was 6.5" point to point. In the late spring the softshells are the size of the summer and fall hardshells now. Sidenote, we're into the best time of the year for crabs, from the second week of August through the 2nd week of October is best time for them, they can get scarce towards the end of that run, but the ones remaining will be massive and heavy. 

I fear for their future, between blue cats and rays loving them and the number of both of this booming AND Virginia reinstituting dredging them from the mud while they overwinter at the mouth of the bay, I seriously think that they end up on an oyster like preservation effort within the next decade; unless they create enough of a problem in Europe that they start shipping them back to us on ice. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/27/24 10:31 p.m.

Also, let me know when you're coming through and I'll be sure to have some extra special beverage ready for you to take on the road for when you get to your destination to enjoy as a celebration in your victory. And if I have some worthy flower to share, some of that as well. If I don't have worthy flower and you end up heading towards the shore, I'll direct you to a spot to stop into that's just of 97 and has proper flower and snacks to enjoy. But I recommend getting an extra special beverage on the way down.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/27/24 10:37 p.m.
Whitey said:

I've heard alot of good comments about Buttonwood Beach, an RV resort in Earleville on the Elk River. They have rentals that can include a golf cart for getting around the resort, I believe. No personal experience though.

That's my old stomping ground, sorta. I grew up on the north side of Earleville, on the Bohemia. Buttonwood is south. It's pretty nice (or was) but I would skip Crystal Beach.

Spearfishin
Spearfishin Reader
8/29/24 11:46 a.m.

I think Cape Charles would check all of your boxes. I could probably help you check the box on the boating portion if you promise y'all aren't total weirdos, haha. Shoot me an email if you think you might seriously come down near Cape Charles.

And the comment about speeding down the VA Shore is maybe a little overblown, but overall is absolutely correct. Onley, Exmore and Eastville are almost 100% guaranteed to have multiple cops taking speed/writing tickets and then there's county deputies and state troopers that run rolling radar or setup at random spots. Eastville specifically, it's total bullE36 M3. They make something like 70+% of the town's revenue off of traffic tickets and there are like 2 Eastville residents that even front Rt. 13. They're blatantly enforcing as a revenue generation tactic. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/29/24 3:46 p.m.

I've only vacationed in MD by boat.  We rent a 38ft. Sabre in Rock Hall, Md and cruise around.  Not having to live there, but as a one or two day experience, St. Michaels looks nice as does Onancock.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver MegaDork
8/29/24 4:12 p.m.

If Deep Creek Lake is on your radar, My grandparents had a place there since the late 60's and I spent summers there in childhood and then my mom lived there full time for several years. 

Good fishing for about every freshwater fish in MD. I used to get a ton of Perch and Walleye as well as catfish.  Also a ton of chain pickerel. 

There's pretty good camping in New Germany.

Swallow Falls is also good. (great place for hiking, wife and I did our engagement photos there) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swallow_Falls_State_Park

Lake doesnt tend to be busy at all during the week, somewhat busy on weekends, and a madhouse on holidays.  Pre and post season, it can be a glass smooth fishermans paradise.

Plenty of stuff to do up there whitewater rafting, kayaking, mountainbiking, etc.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aAgGfpa0cFfKwDmXfScLHXNMvuF0y9qnj7fRD4UpZURcwAisFGlmeObCTVdIQbr3