7 8 9
stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
9/28/23 10:38 a.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

and Luther Vandross said if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with

Stephen Stills said it better, 25 years earlier...wink Looking it up I was surprised at how many people did covers of his song.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/28/23 11:07 a.m.
SoonToBeDatsun240ZGuy said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

And Ted Nugent said when in doubt I whip it out, I got me a rock and roll band, It's a free-for-all.

Hey, I'm as big a Nuge fan as anyone, but while "when in doubt I whip it out..." is a lovely sentiment, it isn't particularly relevant to the discussion.  Contrast with Ms. Crow's thoughts on being happy with less, and the evils of consumerism.

Edit:  And by the way, Stranglehold is one of the greatest songs ever recorded.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/28/23 12:27 p.m.

Streetwise Service is an automotive repair shop.  My income depends on the vagaries of the economy, both local and worldwide.  In the last decade, I've had a few years where I made as little as $17,000 and used my line of credit to survive, I've had some years where I've made $120,000, and paid back my line of credit.

Covid has been spectacularly good for my business, what with no new cars, and used stuff being too expensive.  I've put some pretty big bills out there on stuff that wasn't worth fixing in 2019.

I'm not rich, but I won't likely starve, on my savings and the pittance of an old age pension we get.  The trick is to temper your ability to turn wants into needs...  I want a nice new car.  I don't need it.  I don't want a new roof, I need it.  It takes a while to develop that mindset.  And, for me, the stress of debt takes away from the enjoyment of the thing.  Other than my house.  Best debt ever, because I've paid less every month on the mortgage than I would have on rent, even counting having to buy half of it the second time. I could pay it off right now, except the interest rate is lower than inflation just now...I might anyway, just to make that payment go away. 

7 8 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PdP4lngxrh3tpS8F68shI7tZRGV8boVi87CExAPNe9En5vqqcuaOTwH2ROj0u86j