JThw8
JThw8 Dork
1/10/09 8:37 a.m.

This is the most excited about something in my garage without wheels that Ive been in awhile. But as I get older and ever since a car accident messed up my back I've been longing for this little labor and back saving device.

Missed one by a few hours on craigslist a couple of months ago, this time I was quick enough and the seller even delivered.

I know everyone is thinking "but there's no room to work on the sides" Its going over in the other bay where the studebaker is, I just need to get a front suspension on the studebaker so it rolls. That bay is a doublewide.

Im probably also going to rig up some type of quick disconnect casters to it so I can roll it around and even outside in the summer.

EricM
EricM Reader
1/10/09 3:22 p.m.

Nice

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo HalfDork
1/10/09 3:54 p.m.

Sweet.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
1/10/09 4:42 p.m.

I assume it lifts? how high?

Woody
Woody Dork
1/10/09 5:04 p.m.

Who makes it and what's it called?

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
1/10/09 5:34 p.m.

Its made by Rotary, not sure what they call it. It does about a 2ft lift. Good for brake and suspension work which about 90% of the time is all I need a car in the air for.

Ideally I would have liked a full size lift but I dont have the ceiling height for it and this thing was a heck of alot cheaper (used)

Im working on a set of corner casters I can slip under it to roll it between bays or outside so I can work outside in the summer as needed.

edit looks like they just call it a low rise lift, this is the newest itieration from their website. http://www.rotarylift.com/templateProduct.aspx?id=716
I didnt pay anything close to the $2200 they are asking for a new one

hotg54b
hotg54b New Reader
1/10/09 6:17 p.m.

Here's my lift I got 8 years ago.

Mine already has built in wheels to move it. I hope you get some heavy duty casters. My llift easily ways over $500 lbs. I was lucky to snag my lift for $500.

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
1/10/09 6:38 p.m.

Oooh, could you send some pics of how the built in wheels are setup on yours, it looks just like mine otherwise, might be something to think about.

This one weighs about 400lbs and the wheels I have are rated at 220lbs each, if they fail I'll hunt down bigger ones. It wont be moving around too much.

Snagged mine for the same price.

Woody
Woody Dork
1/10/09 7:19 p.m.

Is that air or electric powered?

Does it lock in place when a car is up in the air?

JThw8
JThw8 Dork
1/10/09 8:28 p.m.
Woody wrote: Is that air or electric powered? Does it lock in place when a car is up in the air?

Its hydraulic, it has a pump unit that is seperate and runs on 110v.

It does have a lock for when its up in the air.

Woody
Woody Dork
1/10/09 8:45 p.m.

...and the search begins....

924guy
924guy HalfDork
1/10/09 10:58 p.m.

that is a thing of pure beauty!

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/11/09 9:16 a.m.

I got one of the scissor lifts with arms. Best is I got it for free because "It's broken - we don't know whats wrong with it, but it don't work". It needed a gallon of ATF and it now works fine.

The only problem with this one is that it is too tall for my civic. Those rocker lifts would probably work though.

GrantMLS
GrantMLS Reader
1/11/12 12:56 p.m.

thats a nice find! That would be perfect for my shop - low ceilings and really only ever need it for suspenion/wheel/brake changes - i have access to a full lift if needed.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/11/12 8:29 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: The only problem with this one is that it is too tall for my civic. Those rocker lifts would probably work though.

None of my cars clear my lift either, so I have to use a pair of stacked 2x12 ramps to straddle the lift.

I agree a lift makes mundane tasks a lot easier... I say this just after swapping the "winter bumper" onto the other half's MCS... on ramps in her garage...

Nice score.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L5yHsgLPE0HSGv4mXfNfmXzZlCfa6nxXC0J9Pc4vC0q8xBfiLwoIp30k1ze1BVPd