1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/25/10 6:47 p.m.

Anyone else watching the best show currently on tv?

If you saw this week's episode, you saw the fictitious ad agency of Sterling Cooper Draper Price angling for the ad business of Honda, as they entered the US market in the mid '60s with a bike, with plans for a car down the road. You also got to see the hilariously offensive and un-PC treatment by one of the WWII vets at the firm of the Honda execs.

Maybe if you ask nicely you can get Margie to tell you about her and Tim's first meeting with the Honda folks back in '85. It made the Mad Men episode all the more hilarious for me.

Or maybe it's a story best kept around the office. Who knows.

jg

TJ
TJ SuperDork
8/25/10 7:28 p.m.

I've never watched it. That show seems like a giant infomercial for the tobacco and liquor industries. I'm tired of it and I've never even seen it.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill Dork
8/25/10 7:36 p.m.

I've watched every episode. Hard to believe we were once like that.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/25/10 8:37 p.m.

As an Ad major, it was kind of required TV. I enjoy it, but the Third season left alot to be desired.

Now that they are in the "new firm", it seems like they have gotten back to the business of creating ads, and less dramatic crap.

I used to like Betty, but now I think she is obnoxious. And of course, Joan has it going on!

JG Pasterjak
8/25/10 8:40 p.m.
TJ wrote: I've never watched it. That show seems like a giant infomercial for the tobacco and liquor industries. I'm tired of it and I've never even seen it.

Don't forget the loveless trophy marriage, careless casual sex, thinly veiled racism, not so thinly veiled sexism and pre-Vietnam angst industries. Those were going gangbusters as well.

I was born in 1970, the year that the creator has said that he intends to have the show end in. It's fascinating watching an accurate portrayal of a slice of a society that created the world you would live in next.

jg

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/25/10 8:40 p.m.

I liked Lane Pryce's snide remarks about Honda's ideas for a car at the end of the last episode.

JG Pasterjak
8/25/10 8:42 p.m.
Platinum90 wrote: And of course, Joan has it going on!

Before the previous episode, when they announced that there was going to be nudity, I told my wife that if it was Joan she might want to leave the room at some point and get me a towel.

jg

JG Pasterjak
8/25/10 8:43 p.m.
Platinum90 wrote: I liked Lane Pryce's snide remarks about Honda's ideas for a car at the end of the last episode.

That would be the 500 they're talking about, right?

jg

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/25/10 8:47 p.m.

According to the all knowing Wiki:

The first production car from Honda was the S500 sports car. Its chain driven rear wheels point to Honda's motorcycle origins.

That is what I thought, but I wanted to check before posting.

zomby woof
zomby woof Dork
8/25/10 9:13 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: Hard to believe we were once like that.

People will say that about us in 50 years.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
8/25/10 11:40 p.m.

Joan is a stunner. Real woman right there.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
8/25/10 11:50 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
Platinum90 wrote: And of course, Joan has it going on!
Before the previous episode, when they announced that there was going to be nudity, I told my wife that if it was Joan she might want to leave the room at some point and get me a towel. jg

I may have to start watching tv again. I seem to be working every night it is on.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
8/25/10 11:53 p.m.

apparently P.J. Clarkes is opening in the District. might be a cool place for me to work at. two blocks from the White House will be the location.

Wally
Wally SuperDork
8/25/10 11:57 p.m.

If nothing else go and get yourself a decent dinner there. The wife and I met at the one by Lincoln Center for our anniversary a few years ago and it was one of the best steaks I've ever had

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
8/26/10 12:28 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Anyone else watching the best show currently on tv?

sorry, breaking bad is the best show on tv

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
8/26/10 12:44 a.m.
zomby woof wrote:
spitfirebill wrote: Hard to believe we were once like that.
People will say that about us in 50 years.

Those of us who grew up in the 60's are saying it now.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
8/26/10 12:56 a.m.
TJ wrote: I've never watched it. That show seems like a giant infomercial for the tobacco and liquor industries. I'm tired of it and I've never even seen it.

It is in fact a very good representation of what life was like in the early '60s. Booze and butts were ubiquitous. I remember being a kid lying in bed when my parents threw a party with the laughter and the cigarette smoke and the clinking of the glasses. Next morning, the smell of stale liquor and cigarettes hung in the air. My mom would wake up early to clean up so we kids wouldn't drink something we shouldn't. Like we would drink stale booze out of a glass with a butt crushed in it......

I've seen maybe five mistakes in that show over four years. Suspended ceilings, the wrong year VW, etc. The attitudes, the almost casual racial prejudice, and women being second class citizens is as spot on as possible.

I could watch Christina Hendricks walk across a room all day. If they did an entire episode of that, they'd set a ratings record.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/26/10 5:42 a.m.

Subtle but telling; at the end of a stressful day Joan gets undressed and it's amazing to see the gouges dug into her shoulder from the stupid 50's bra society makes her wear.

And goes back the next day with a smile on her face....

JG Pasterjak
8/26/10 6:30 a.m.
grimmelshanks wrote:

I've heard good things. Unfortunately, we missed the early buy-in, and didn't want to commit midway through a season. It'll definitely be on our Netflix list before long.

And as long as we're mentioning actual good TV, "Justified" is more than worth checking out.

jg

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
8/26/10 9:21 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: And as long as we're mentioning actual good TV, "Justified" is more than worth checking out. jg

"Rescue Me." Best comedy and drama combo we've ever seen. This, "Mad Men," and "Entourage" constitute the whole of our regular TV watching. My wife is a fan of HGTV as well.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Reader
8/26/10 9:42 a.m.
grimmelshanks wrote: sorry, breaking bad is the best show on tv

I go back and forth between the two, I love them both. And "Rubicon" is off to a promising start, too. AMC is certainly doing something right. And Dish Network just added the HD version, making Tom a very happy guy!

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Editorial/Art Assistant
8/26/10 12:35 p.m.
grimmelshanks wrote:

Good God, I love "Breaking Bad." Four for you.

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Editorial/Art Assistant
8/26/10 12:38 p.m.
grimmelshanks wrote:

Oh, and my friend just told me about "Hung." It seems to be HBO's version of "Breaking Bad," but instead of being gifted in chemistry and becoming a meth cook, the main guy is gifted in...another way...and becomes a prostitute.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
8/26/10 1:05 p.m.
Sarah Young wrote: gifted in...another way...and becomes a prostitute.

If you're a man, are you a prostitute or just a man?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler Reader
8/26/10 1:15 p.m.
914Driver wrote: If you're a man, are you a prostitute or just a man?

If you're getting paid for it, you're..... a very lucky man!

Hung is OK, but I wouldn't compare it to Breaking Bad other than the "straight arrow turns to crime" storyline. It's much lighter in tone and doesn't have anything like the tension of Breaking Bad. But, being on HBO and given the subject matter, it does have lots of gratuitous nudity, so that helps.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PxWoxq3OdET5hk6W646eGTeJym7CD0dLqZhzD73PKdScBj0mUApMMvdc9zmhe3oX