J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/25/24 10:06 a.m.

Okay, I admit it. I loved the original Beetlejuice movie and watched it way too many times than I am willing to admit as a kid. (Might explain why I frequently had bad dreams, too.)

I always thought it had too little Beetlejuice in it, though.

What are your thoughts about the sequel that seems to have much more Beetlejuice? Am I viewing this trailer through Beetlejuice-colored (yuck) glasses?

calteg
calteg UltraDork
7/25/24 10:33 a.m.

I'm very excited about the sequel. 

That being said, I'm very much of the proponent of "less is more" when it comes to iconic characters. Beetlejuice, Joker (Dark Knight), Jaws,  hell, even Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross...all onscreen for 30 minutes or less.

Also mildly amused that Jenna Ortega is getting typecast was "weird goth girl", but I'm sure she's distraught about it in her Malibu mansion as we speak.

Chris Tropea
Chris Tropea Associate Editor
7/25/24 10:43 a.m.

I am really excited for this movie. From the looks of the trailer they didnt over do it on the CGI and I can not wait to see it in theaters. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
7/25/24 10:46 a.m.

I can't wait. I'm certain it will be fun.

Slippery
Slippery UltimaDork
7/25/24 10:55 a.m.

I saw the trailer the other day and then forgot about it. Definitely exited about it.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/25/24 11:03 a.m.

I didn't know what to make of the original when I saw it in the theatre, but I've watched it many times since.  I'm all in for the new one, except...Catherina Ohara is a wonderful person, I'm sure, but she can create characters that just make me want to commit murderdeathkill.  I presume she is in the new one, too?  Maybe Beetlejuice will do terrible things to her character?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/25/24 11:05 a.m.

Say what you will about Hollywood recycling stuff, it's been a good year for mindless fun. Ghostbusters was fun, Twisters was fun (Especially in 4dx. If yall have a 4dx by you GO RIGHT NOW.) And now a Beetlejuice? Come on.... we're doin' it right! 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
7/25/24 1:05 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

I didn't know what to make of the original when I saw it in the theatre, but I've watched it many times since.  I'm all in for the new one, except...Catherina Ohara is a wonderful person, I'm sure, but she can create characters that just make me want to commit murderdeathkill.  I presume she is in the new one, too?  Maybe Beetlejuice will do terrible things to her character?

Yes, Catherine O'Hara, aka Delia Deetz, is in Beetlejuice 2. You can even seen a glimpse of her in the trailer. She gets around - 117 screen credits on IMDB. She played Sally in The Nightmare Before Christmas - that's a character you can like, right? Then again, O'Hara also voiced Shock in the same movie.

Too bad no Adam (Alec Baldwin) or Barbara (Geena Davis) in this version. Nor, my favorite character in the original, Juno. The actress who played Juno, Sylvia Sidney, died 25 years ago, in 1999.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/2/24 10:51 a.m.

We watched the original this past weekend. It had been a while–a long while, I think. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/2/24 11:06 a.m.

I really don't mean to be Buzz Killington, but I'm not a big Tim Burton fan.  Also don't like endless retreads.  I'll pass.

I am super not looking forward to having to hear Harry Belafonte's 'Jump In The Line' 800,000 times when the sequel actually comes out.  Shake, shake, shake, senora...

Sorry.  I'll go away.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/2/24 11:56 a.m.

Love the original, watch it 3-4x a year and just watched it this past weekend. 

I'm hesitant. As this is yet another movie I didn't think needed a sequel and Beetlejuice was theoretically killed at the end of the first. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2nL1NWWgVnzmIJaLpjFBrOJHaRJDU1sXbCO4hYd6SItxceqOYSdbEtjK8vX0F14p