Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
3/15/12 1:06 p.m.

So I'm at Wright-Patt for Air Forcey stuff, and I've got a night to kill before I leave. What is must see/must eat, etc?

Don't say Air Force Museum, I spent most of yesterday in there.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltraDork
3/15/12 1:09 p.m.

In answer to the question in the topic line, head north, south, east, or west for a few hours. That'll fix you right up.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
3/15/12 1:12 p.m.

Stay indoors when the sun goes down

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
3/15/12 1:29 p.m.

This might be cool.

From wikipedia: "Dayton is also home to America's Packard Museum with contains many restored historical Packard vehicles."

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
3/15/12 1:32 p.m.

Can you try and sneak into Hanger 13?

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
3/15/12 2:37 p.m.

http://www.tajmagaraj.com see if they are open.

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
3/15/12 2:45 p.m.

Hey, I was in Dayton on Tuesday. Do what I did; I drove home.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
3/15/12 3:14 p.m.

HamFest!!! (you may have to stick around for it, though)

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
3/15/12 4:45 p.m.

This thread is confirming my suspicions.

motomoron
motomoron Dork
3/15/12 4:52 p.m.

Mendelson's Surplus!

3 or 4 floors of an old Delco factory filled with an indescribable assortment of stuff, mostly industrial/electro-mechanical/electronic stuff.

Baffling, confounding, amazing!

The first floor has a bunch of dollar store garbage, but in the far back corner is hundreds of square feet of hardware for about free. Crazy stuff,

Go, be amazed.

BTW - aside from Wright-Patt, it's about the only thing left in Dayton that's not a semi-abandoned depressing mess.

Mendelson's

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
3/15/12 4:58 p.m.

You are two weeks too early for Thursday Night Test and Tune nights at Dragway.
http://www.kilkare.com/2012%20Folder/Schedules/2012%20Drag%20Schedule.pdf
http://www.kilkare.com/
Considering the unseasonable good weather, it may be worth driving by to see if they started early. Very close to WPAFB.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
3/15/12 5:04 p.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

I spent many nights at KilKare in my youth. Usually at the circle track untill the brother of the guy I was crewing for got in a fight with someone resulting in us getting a lifetime ban

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
3/15/12 6:25 p.m.

Hey, it's not that bad of a place... mostly... kinda...

You should have asked this before getting in town, there's a few of us local. But yeah, Packard museum is cool, I could spend hours in Mendelsons, too early for a Dragon's ('A' level minor league) baseball game, as mentioned too early for KilKare, you just missed the First Four kick-off party and game (and the Pres FWTW), Oregon district is pretty cool if you're into a somewhat cool/hip/alt night scene, etc., etc.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/15/12 6:41 p.m.

Be sure to grab some Skyline Chili while you're in the neighborhood. Not a ton I miss about living in that part of the world.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut UltraDork
3/15/12 8:41 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Be sure to grab some Skyline Chili while you're in the neighborhood. Not a ton I miss about living in that part of the world.

Whelp, now I've done all there is to do here! The chili wasn't even very good. But then again, I wouldn't expect damnyankees to know much about good chili.

At least they have Yuengling.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
3/16/12 9:17 a.m.

Cant believe I missed this. But as you noticed, there is nothing to do here.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve PowerDork
3/16/12 9:23 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: But then again, I wouldn't expect damnyankees to know much about good chili. At least they have Yuengling.

We drink the Yuengling first, until the Chili tastes good. And if you are from anywhere in the South, avoid northern BBQ at all costs. Ugh.

nicksta43
nicksta43 HalfDork
3/16/12 12:06 p.m.

You chose the wrong chilli. Gold Star is the correct, and lets be honest, the only real choice.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
3/16/12 12:13 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote: Be sure to grab some Skyline Chili while you're in the neighborhood. Not a ton I miss about living in that part of the world.
Whelp, now I've done all there is to do here! The chili wasn't even very good. But then again, I wouldn't expect damnyankees to know much about good chili.

Yeah that chili sucks donkey balls.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
3/16/12 12:18 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: HamFest!!! (you may have to stick around for it, though)

All over that!

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
3/16/12 1:33 p.m.

I got 2nd place in the Morse Code contest at the Dayton HamFest in 1982, I think. 40 WPM on paper. The guy who "won" didn't get 45 either, but had a couple more letters in a row than I did so they gave it to him. He also had someone standing behind him hitting the return button on his typewriter when he got near the end of the line and I did it all by myself. I also didn't practice at all for the contest. I didn't know they were going to have one, just saw it and signed up. Didn't really matter. The prize was a 2 meter phone patch setup gizmo. For a CW contest. What BS. Still had a good time, though. Bought a Collins S line transmitter at the swap meet to go with the S line receiver I already had. Wish I still had that pair. They're worth a couple of challenge cars today.

Pete240Z
Pete240Z UltraDork
3/16/12 5:20 p.m.

Dr. Hess;

I find it funny that as a 5th grader in 1973 my buddy and I decided we would memorize the Morse Code because it seemed like a good idea. I wonder if kids have any clue.......cracks me up.

This is also my buddy that discussed getting all the ingredients needed and making our own gun powder. We just weren't sure a pharmacist would sell two 11 year olds salt peter. (this was all pre-internet days.......)

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
3/16/12 8:54 p.m.

Morse Code... Hab Bean... Berry Good... To Me. Salt Peter, I dunno.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FkuTm9UAnPQJ6nJhNqbLPgSo002JqRMRCBHffESq64CglbuWDdrnENMKy37nEMFp