1 2 3
mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/23/24 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy (Agent of Chaos) :

I know you're referring to the style of that aluminum fish and ski - and I agree, we have the 2017 Lund version of that boat - but I think that Mirrocraft may be the most underappreciated, undervalued brand out there on the used market. 

Incidentally, if you're fishing at all, I highly recommend prioritizing in-floor rod storage. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/23/24 5:14 p.m.

We rented a boat similar to the red one you posted while in Orleans on Cape Cod.  Deck was totally open with steering on the right side.  Pretty much a step through.

I like it, Fwd & Rev +trim control😎

because of little kids, fishing,  gunkholing etc. I was leaning toward a flatter bottom for the shallows, if it's  rough or windy, pizza time.

Still researching .....

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
7/23/24 7:14 p.m.

Cheap, totally reliable and perfectly suited to your expressed intentions.  This is a lot of boat for $800

Edit- doesn't include the trailer, but still... 

Craigslist link

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/23/24 11:02 p.m.

A few years back my neighbor bought a 1959 Luger 16' fiberglass runabout, with a 55hp McCollough outboard and trailer, for $300.  He spent a week or so cleaning it up, and it ran great.  That was a deal, but in my area finding similar setups for way less than $1000 isn't unusual.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
7/24/24 6:53 a.m.

Lots of cheap boat content on this guy's channel. This latest one is probably his most absurd.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/24/24 7:52 a.m.

This is what I rented in Cape Cod, pretty much checks all the boxes.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/24/24 10:03 a.m.

THIS!

$400.  

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
7/24/24 10:34 a.m.
914Driver said:

THIS!

$400.  

Agree.  As any student of Greek Mythology knows, a sea nymph for 400 represents astoundingly good value.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.infectedbyart.com%2FImages%2FCategory_812%2Fsubcat_1136%2F1811191535381.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=81193c585e177df070a0fdf7941e9dec1e2cfe43fe2828ba388687e9613665fd&ipo=images

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/24/24 11:03 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I have had 3 boats more or less just like that. I really prioritize having a flat floor and I do not like bench seats. 

That said, at $400 that is a fair deal... if you can find a similarly inexpensive engine. With that boat a trolling motor may be good enough if you don't care about speed and you pick your spots/days. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/24/24 11:51 a.m.
mtn said:

In reply to 914Driver :

I really prioritize having a flat floor and I do not like bench seats. 

What keeps the beer from falling over?

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/24/24 4:48 p.m.

For a flat floor, maximizing space, and the easiest to plane with less power... Jon boat.  Very stable, a bit rough on ride, but super-bulletproof.

Around here, everyone refers to any little putt-around fishing boat as a jon boat, but I'm talking about these:

What is a Jon Boat. A Flat Bottom Boat Guide | by duncan munene | Medium

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/25/24 12:22 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

That second one is by dream for a Jon. But pricy, compared to the "standard"

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/25/24 12:24 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Check with Doc that's posting "my version of a garage sale" 

He has a boat Im interested in, but the reality of it is I doubt I can make it up there  

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
7/25/24 2:20 a.m.

Twice in the last three years I have been given boats by frustrated people trying to sell them.

The first was a 1975 Dan Arena 24XL. Gorgeous boat. Setup for V drive but with an engine on a a nice tandem axle trailer. The guy wanted $1500 and I kept talking to him for a couple months and he finally said just take it.

The second was a 1984 Century Cardel. Complete running driving boat on a tandem axle trailer but it needed stringers. Beautiful boat. He wanted $9000. I told him I loved it but it was out of my range. Two months later he called and said how about he gives me the boat, I fix it and use it but when I sell it sometime in the future, we split the money. I said thanks but that didn't work for me because I could have some time and money in it and might feel pressure to sell because he wanted his half. A couple months later he called and said he was taking it to the dumps so I said "dump it on me". He said come and get it and I did.

I'm working another long term deal now but have no hopes of getting it for free. But he's down $30k from his initial asking price. When he drops another $10k (which I expect any day) I'm going to offer him $10k under that and hold my ground.

There is WAY MORE supply then demand for boats right now. WAY MORE.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/25/24 11:09 a.m.
67LS1 said:

There is WAY MORE supply then demand for boats right now. WAY MORE.

Yep. In 2020, anything that would float was going for $2k minimum. Everyone who had ever owned a boat or wanted to own a boat or had seen the meme of a cat saying he should buy a boat, every one of those people had a government stimulus check and used it to go buy a boat. 

Now, a ton of them are selling the boats. And few people are really buying them right now, and there is no more stimulus. Definitely a unique whiplash in the boating market. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/25/24 12:12 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

That second one is by dream for a Jon. But pricy, compared to the "standard"

Right?  The standard ones can be had for $2k new, but those are more like $5k, and I'm not convinced the shallow vee front is really any better.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/25/24 2:10 p.m.

Curtis wins! 

I bought a 14 ft. Jon Boat with a hugely over sized trailer for $450.  It has paperwork (Titles) for the boat and the trailer.

That big dumb thing in the middle is a chair and a trolling motor bolted to plywood.  If you can't live without a troller with foot controls, you know how to get me. 

Plan  (at this time) is a 10-15hp outboard with a throttle control and steering wheel.  When I redid the Whaler that had a hole in it for the sailing club, I put a 4X4 under the center seat that extended over the bow by 2ft.  I put a boat winch at one end and a roller at the tip over the water.  The throttle was on the starboard gunwale and the steering wheel was poking up through the center of the center seat.  Very easy to handle, so I may replicate that.  People used that boat to move their mooring tackle around.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/25/24 2:19 p.m.

If that foot control works, depending on the exact model, it could be worth more than the motor itself. I'd also find out if it has copilot or ipilot capablities, the foot controls have basically all been ditched in favor of the remote control. Probably able to recoup $50 to $300, possibly more, depending on the details.

I'd be mildly interested in it if not for the shipping. 

EDIT: You'd probably find a few hours perusing Tinboats.net worthwhile for some brainstorming. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/25/24 4:10 p.m.

This looks to old for Bluetooth.  Yours if you want it, but shipping may be the same as a new boat!  If not, what's it worth to FB?

Holy Carp!!  $949 new?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/25/24 4:57 p.m.

That is a V1 Powerdrive. The whole setup is worth probably $1-200. They're old, the pedal contacts wear out, people have moved on. You can get the bluetooth hookup, but it is not worth it on this one. I should know, we tossed one nearly identical about a year ago. 

Test the pedal - if it works, the pedal itself is unobtanium and would be worth sticking on ebay. Probably worth $125 to $300. 

Despite being the same model, the one  you linked is not an apt comparison. It would be like comparing a 1990 Honda Accord with a 2024 Honda Accord. The closest thing you can get to that one today is $400 to $700 depending on what exactly you're going with. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic SuperDork
7/25/24 9:58 p.m.

Drove by this so I had to stop and take a few photos.

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
7/26/24 12:39 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

I could certainly use the trolling motor, and don't mind fiddley repairs. But I'd have to work out a GRM relay, 'cause I've no clue when I could get that far north again. 
Keep me in mind, though. 

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/26/24 3:36 p.m.

I can wait.  See if you can set it up.

GhiaMonster
GhiaMonster HalfDork
7/26/24 4:13 p.m.

Came here to enable with a local boat but happy to see you have a project already. 

$800 Starcraft:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3694050980810668/?ref=browse_tab

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/26/24 4:31 p.m.

I saw that, nice one and about 40 miles west. I passed because I thought an open boat would fit the bill better.

I'm apprehensive about blue.  Engine dies and you drift out to sea, yellow is easier to spot.

I'll clean this up, put on a 6 -10hp outboard (a troller if it's still here) and next spring keep it or trade up.

Dan

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jx7NjGYiT7MbzF3JVZNLb9J1L3TQK1Jn7XFMwRfO0TWP6WZCr2sgt37Q81JRfpKg