1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/29/17 9:40 a.m.
Jerry wrote: This wasn't really on my radar until I saw the post here by the stunt-driving double for "baby". And I read a review that made it sound like a decent movie. Now do I take the WRX covered in mud? (Or wait for Netflix like my usual MO)

Drive something slow and sedate. You'll come out of the theater wanting to drive it like you stole it.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
6/29/17 8:11 p.m.

Put me in the mildly disappointed category. The first car chase in the red car was fun, but not much after that. I did expect some kind of big epic car chase for the finale, but that didn't happen. Decent movie overall, even if it was totally predictable.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/29/17 10:23 p.m.

In reply to ncjay:

Couldn't disagree more.

If you just went for the driving, you missed a great movie.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/30/17 11:11 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid: Tyler Witte is one of them, he created one of the best low budget hoon type videos ever https://www.youtube.com/embed/8bdeMNH5kmc?ecver=2

And, I know Tyler. We were friends and coworkers, growing up in Cincy. An incredibly sincere dude who decided one day to chase his dreams. Humble, dedicated, and successful are often not found together in many Hollywood types. I applaud him for staying true to himself, and living the dream. Bravo sir.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
6/30/17 1:06 p.m.
ncjay wrote: Put me in the mildly disappointed category. The first car chase in the red car was fun, but not much after that. I did expect some kind of big epic car chase for the finale, but that didn't happen. Decent movie overall, even if it was totally predictable.

I really enjoyed the movie, but I do think this is a valid criticism. The ads and word-of-mouth made it sound like more of a car-chase movie than it really is. There's a fair amount of time spent on the love story and Baby's background and interaction with the other members of the crew, which is fine, but the driving sequences were so cool, I would have loved to see more of them.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
7/2/17 3:25 p.m.

I just saw it. Good movie. I wouldn't really call it a car movie, just like Bullit was not really a car movie. Car sequences were good, probably mostly because they were real (this over CGI crap is really going to kill movies).

Directing style was a bit different, but not distractingly so. A bit slow In some parts. Good acting, good characters.

I do wish they would have pulled back a bit on some of the driving shots, showed more driver perspective, and slowed down the jump cuts a bit. NO where near as bad as some of the rediculas scenes they do in some movies with rapid fire cuts, shaky cameras etc. I would call it an 8 out of 10.

Things I would have liked to see:

• minor improvements in the driving shot (above)
  • a few more (not smack over you head though) car movie aspect (e.g. sees a car he likes, makes an appropriate comment). But then again, the character was not necessarily a car nut, just a great driver.
  • the music was good, but they really needed some more well known/better songs. There were a lot of them, but it seems like they spend all their money on the cast.
  • I think the music could have been integrated better. Most of the music is not at full volume. Some potential in how it was done in some areas, but it missed the mark a bit (a lot because of some pretty vague songs used).
  • I think a more stylized approach would have been effective. Use the seemingly music video approach to his life as a theme and adjust the music choice and volume appropriately as the plot developed. I think this would have really punched up the movie.

See it, but don't expect a car movie, just a good action movie that has some good car action scenes in it.

PeteD
PeteD New Reader
7/4/17 10:35 a.m.

I went to see Baby Driver two nights ago and really enjoyed it! I thought the story was fun; the driving & chases were exciting; and the way the music was integrated into the story - not "just" a soundtrack, but really an element of the story telling - was great.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
7/4/17 12:39 p.m.

I enjoyed the movie for what it was, but was a bit disappointed that it was not more. I think I was looking for the next "Italian Job"

I agree with the reviewer who wrote ""...uses music the way the rest of us use air". Baby's never-ending interaction and animation of the Tunes he is listening to might have been a brighter spot than the driving.

About that get-away driving: How could such a "Mozart in a Go-Kart" with just ONE JOB to do, NOT get away from a vigilante "Cowboy in a Pick-Up" who has to split his time between driving and shooting?

So yeah, go watch it,it was fun, but I wont endorse the ratings it got from Rotten Tomatoes and Rolling Stone.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
7/4/17 3:20 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: Hell of a cast but even in the preview it looked hokey and rehashed. I will watch it.

This ^^^

After a dozen people told me what a great movie "The Town" was, I finally watched it last night.

I should've turned it off the moment I heard "This is my last job," or whatever.

Instead, I wasted what felt like 18 hours of my life watching Ben Aflac trying to be Matt Damon, and questioning my friendships.

Also: As I'm now practically a stunt-driver (Totally joking) E-brake turns no longer impress me. (not joking.)

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/4/17 6:59 p.m.

Best action movie I've seen since Mad Max.

It was great. It uses action perfectly. Action sequences all serve to move the plot forward and develop characters. I'm glad it didn't have more driving. All the action/chase sequences felt unique and different.

Yes, it is formula/genre. We know ultimately how it will end. But remember that this is the same director as Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead. He loves formula/genre and knows them well enough to work completely within the boundaries with love and care to be unique and original in the middle. It keeps us guessing how things will play out within scenes, and never resorts to deus-ex-machina 'gotchas'. Characters behave consistently with how they are developed, but are put in sufficiently complicated situations that we don't know how they will ultimately react.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
7/4/17 7:21 p.m.

Hoping to go see it at the drive in this weekend coming up with the new spiderman

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
7/4/17 7:27 p.m.

Saw it today, first movie I've been to in 7 or 8 years.(Side-note, when did theaters start installing leather recliners???) As awesome as the driving is - and it truly is - I was surprised how cool the soundtrack was. It really was an awesome mix of old & new. Jeremy's insight was really cool when watching the stunts unfold too!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
7/5/17 6:03 a.m.

Since taking up parkour recently, I also loved the foot chase. That was great. No showy vaults, but good technique.

GSmith
GSmith HalfDork
7/6/17 12:16 p.m.

Definitely enjoyed it. I read an article before it came out that the soundtrack came with the script; all preplanned. and all the timing then had to match the soundtrack. I think some of the camera cuts were driven by the music taking priority.

There are some neat backstory pieces on it: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/baby-driver-stunt-coordinator-we-tried-do-everything-camera-1017348

http://www.slashfilm.com/baby-driver-stunt-driving/

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
7/6/17 6:32 p.m.

Saw it Monday and really liked it, but I am a sucker for a heist movie. I probability would Nott have watched it so thanks for the heads up.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uCt9Vw2rQ9PHQs5tdA0Wn7w9UcjwvxyDdaKvdjL4XaVihpI7wWDVSghRcVzbtoui