1 2 3 4
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) PowerDork
7/18/21 8:14 a.m.

This is by no means underground-classic rock is more like it, but Humble Pie, and Steve Marriott just blipped on my radar, and I can't get enough. He/they were definitely obscure to me. Small Faces, also.

Note: when Freedom Rock ads were on TV, I was diametrically opposed to classic rock, save Zep and ACDC. I have since grown quite fond.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/21 11:16 a.m.

Lots of cool stuff. How about some solo projects from people you might already know?

From Living Colour's Vernon Reid (also a car guy):

John Oates, half of Hall and Oates (also a car guy):

And does OFF! count as a solo/side project for Keith Morris (Circle Jerks, Flag, original Black Flag)? This dropped last week. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/19/21 12:11 p.m.

Discovered this thanks to Finnagan'sGaradge 

LifeIsStout
LifeIsStout Reader
7/19/21 2:28 p.m.

For a change of genre, I'll add in Jukebox the Ghost

Lead singer has a voice quite similar to Freddy Mercury, and they do quite a few queen covers.  I saw them live a couple of years ago, and they put on a fantastic show.  3 piece band, drums, guitar and piano.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/20/21 8:01 a.m.

When I need something with a little more attitude. 

David S. Wallens
7/21/21 6:57 p.m.

I think I came across She Makes War while looking for info about a guitar. Anyway, I have since grabbed most of her albums. Great office music. Totally sad, too. From England. 

David S. Wallens
7/21/21 6:58 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to David S. Wallens :

The live show I posted from Svalbard is a little rough around the edges and extra gritty. Their studio albums are well produced though and you might want to give those a try. 

Alright, I'll poke around some more. Thanks for the recommendation. You know me. smiley

daeman
daeman Dork
7/22/21 5:49 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UberDork
7/22/21 10:14 p.m.

Speaking of Aussie bands, is Airborne still off the radar?

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
7/23/21 1:41 a.m.

This is my new favorite thread. 
I have to admit, I'm a picky bastard and most of what's been shared here isn't gonna land in my library, but some of it will and for that I'm grateful. I've read that a good friend is one who introduces you to new music, which I have a hard time finding on my own. Damn algorithms trying to feed me ish from the highest bidder. 
Keep it going

Speaking if algorithms, YouTube caught me off guard with this a year or so ago:

Not sure it's really off the radar, but they haven't hit my local radio stations at least. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/23/21 7:40 p.m.

I go down big rabbit holes of bands starting with chill/indie/folk seeds.  I find some neat stuff, and it all seems to lead back to a few bands:

Gregory Hoskins
Darlingside
Bon Iver
William Fitzsimmons
Iron and Wine
Sera Cahoone
Sarah Jarosz
Milk Carton Kids
Tallest Man on Earth
Wailin Jennys
Fleet Foxes
Hozier

daeman
daeman Dork
7/23/21 9:56 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

They are here. I'm pretty sure they're more well known in the US than they are in Australia

daeman
daeman Dork
7/23/21 10:24 p.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

There's some great bands in that list.

Down a similar vein, these few are worth a listen (though given your tastes you've probably already come across most of them

Smog/ Bill Callahan

The mountain goats/ John Darnielle

First aid kit

Devendra banhart

And a few more aussies

Xavier Rudd

Paul Kelly 

Darren Hanlon

Courtney Barnett 

Angus and Julia stone

And a kiwi (new Zealander) for good measure ..... Liam Finn

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
7/24/21 4:03 a.m.

Seems like a perfect opportunity to shamelessly plug some of my friend's bands. All three are Orlando based, each is very different from the others.

Call in Dead:

Ludovico Technique:

Forever Dawn:

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/24/21 6:00 a.m.
barefootskater (Shaun) said:

This is my new favorite thread. 
I have to admit, I'm a picky bastard and most of what's been shared here isn't gonna land in my library, but some of it will and for that I'm grateful. I've read that a good friend is one who introduces you to new music, which I have a hard time finding on my own. Damn algorithms trying to feed me ish from the highest bidder. 
Keep it going

Speaking if algorithms, YouTube caught me off guard with this a year or so ago:

Not sure it's really off the radar, but they haven't hit my local radio stations at least. 

Leprous is awesome. If you haven't yet, check out the Bilateral album. That's by far my favorite.

They were (maybe still are?) the backup band for Ihsahn, the Emperor frontman's solo project. That's also awesome. 

7/24/21 9:44 a.m.
daeman said:

There's some great bands in that list.

Down a similar vein, these few are worth a listen (though given your tastes you've probably already come across most of them

Smog/ Bill Callahan

The mountain goats/ John Darnielle

First aid kit

Devendra banhart

And a few more aussies

Xavier Rudd

Paul Kelly 

Darren Hanlon

Courtney Barnett 

Angus and Julia stone

And a kiwi (new Zealander) for good measure ..... Liam Finn

I've actually only heard of one.  Thanks for the rabbit hole :)

daeman
daeman Dork
7/24/21 6:07 p.m.

Well, have fun, gotta love a good rabbit hole. 

By the way, which was the one you'd heard of?

Edit: also.... I've had white winter hymnal stuck in my head on loop for the last day or so because you mentioned fleet foxes dammit hahaha

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/24/21 7:10 p.m.

Wow what an amazing selection. I love music but I'm not hugely into searching out new bands but wow, I have only heard one band in this entire three pages, The Chats. I'll have to give at least 63 seconds to each video. I enjoy every genre. Thank you guys. I hope there's more to come. Let me add one.  Air Five. They have one album, Write my Story. It's the only CD I still spin, everything else I listen to on spotify.  Christian punk. These guys put together a record that just flows like a story in my opinion. I'll warn you, it's clean and about teenage angst growing up.

Write my Story

7/25/21 11:24 a.m.
daeman said:

Well, have fun, gotta love a good rabbit hole. 

By the way, which was the one you'd heard of?

Edit: also.... I've had white winter hymnal stuck in my head on loop for the last day or so because you mentioned fleet foxes dammit hahaha

Xavier Rudd.  I like listening to him for a smile when I'm done crying from listening to Darlingside and Iron and Wine  

And I totally forgot about Low Anthem.  Heard of them?  They have some amazing stuff using non-traditional instruments.  Watch this one.  They use audience cell phone feedback as an instrument.

Another one of my favorites of theirs:

7/25/21 11:41 a.m.
daeman
daeman Dork
7/30/21 7:46 p.m.

It surprised me that Xavier was the one out of that list. But yeah, he is happy making.

I was unaware of the low anthem, that's pretty cool stuff, I find non conventional instruments interesting.

Speaking of unconventional, have you come across that 1 guy?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
8/13/21 8:41 p.m.

This was on Wrench Every Day

Added to my list of in the car tunes   

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev New Reader
8/15/21 12:38 a.m.

These guys have a few albums that are great. They're a rock opera that retells the plot from Mega Man. The lyric books include the story that's being played out on stage. Really good writing. 

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/16/21 9:16 a.m.
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) said:

I go down big rabbit holes of bands starting with chill/indie/folk seeds.  I find some neat stuff, and it all seems to lead back to a few bands:

Gregory Hoskins
Darlingside
Bon Iver
William Fitzsimmons
Iron and Wine
Sera Cahoone
Sarah Jarosz
Milk Carton Kids
Tallest Man on Earth
Wailin Jennys
Fleet Foxes
Hozier

You would probably also like:

Chuck Ragan (solo)

Matt Prior (solo) and/ or the New Amsterdams

Brian Fallon/Horrible Crowes

David S. Wallens
8/17/21 3:11 p.m.

Have we mentioned American Sharks yet? I saw them open for GWAR. Totally killed it. 

Props for doing the Repo Man thing, too.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hfzXOe0wZNJ30o8lsZw7KGVMAazZ8SyX8gXMK05sUrSRmx2vcqc8tLO04auoH4R1