flat4_5spd
flat4_5spd Reader
6/18/24 7:28 a.m.

Technically 1989, but both very '90s and very good:

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/18/24 7:32 a.m.

MatchBox 20:

Stone Temple Pilots (Core)  is a close second.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/18/24 7:34 a.m.

It was hard for me to not pick Tool - Undertow instead of ToD.  Especially since the time we first heard Sober on the radio my friends and I sat staring at the radio in my truck thinking, "this is what my band would sound like with a drummer..."  How we managed to not sound like a Tool copy band is a testament to how eclectic we were.

I still listen to my Fugazi - Repeater +3 CD often.  We used to cover Blueprint. 

While I am a child of the 80s and still listen to a lot of the music from my early teen years, I have a ton of 90s music as well. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/18/24 7:43 a.m.

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
6/18/24 9:33 a.m.

A lot of great music brought up so far. I'm going to go with Enigma because who would have thought people would be listening to music with Gregorian chants and a heavy back beat?

Motojunky
Motojunky New Reader
6/18/24 9:42 a.m.
StilettoSS said:

For something more mellow: The Cranberries, Everyone Else is Doing It Why Can't We?

The Cranberries

Hard for me to pin down a favorite genre, let alone disc/album. I was listening to everything in the 90s. This included the early 90s influx of girl bands along the lines of the Cranberries, Sundays, Juliana Hatfield, Breeders, Veruca Salt, etc. With that in mind, I recently stumbled into the song below and it really captures the vibe of those bands. I haven't listened to that stuff in years but this song prompted me to spend a few days revisiting some of it. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
6/18/24 10:07 a.m.

For me, it's Dirt. 

That's my #1 without a doubt. It has it all, and it feels the most 90's to me. 

That said, there are so many GREAT albums from that era. Two others come to mind that are like 1-A and 1-B to me:

Soundgarden: Superunknown

Stone Temple Pilots: Purple

Both of those were MAJOR albums for me back then and also epitomize the 90's in my eyes (and ears). 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/18/24 3:42 p.m.

Not the best. Not the most 90s (too weird even for alternative) but it's the single most important album of my life. This is the exact point I started discovering music on my own. Being the midwest, we got any trend last, so everyone was still listening to hair metal, when I was running around saying how mindblowingly awesome this band was. I was ridiculed. But I was vindicated when I saw those same people at the Aragon for Tails From the Punchbowl tour.

Sarah Young
Sarah Young Copy & Design Editor
6/18/24 3:52 p.m.

I'm partial to 

Elliott Smith - S/T – Goner Records

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/18/24 4:19 p.m.

For disk with a "k", the Seagate Barracuda. :)

For music, I know it says only one, but someone already posted Violator so after that I can't decide between:

and

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
6/18/24 4:30 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Saw Crystal Method in NOLA in 99. Man was that an experience. 

Man, there isn't one on here that isn't in my mix daily. I'll add an oddball and it may be just because I saw them in concert. 

Dinosaur Jr. Where you been: 

And I went to so many shows when they were coming up in the early 90s and went to driving school with Tim Mahoney:

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
6/18/24 4:33 p.m.

My kids were over on the weekend and this topic, and more specifically, just the sheer amount of really good music that came out in the 90's was our discussion over dinner.

I can't pick out one album, there's just too much but, as a 30 year old jazz fusion guy,  I was equally blown away by Blood sugar. It was a Christmas present from PW and I didn't see it coming.

Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado
Ethnic Food-Wrap Aficionado Dork
6/18/24 5:20 p.m.

Trent is right, but MoAM's Made From Technetium is certainly a contender.

I very nearly went with Treepeople - Guilt Regret Embarrassment, fwiw.

Shadeux
Shadeux SuperDork
6/18/24 5:38 p.m.

I'm terrible at these "pick one" lists. I usually think of songs, not albums.

Toy Matinee:  "Last plane out" Fun lyrics and relentlessly upbeat.

Toy_Matinee.jpg (300×266)

SRV. "The sky is crying." Title track is face-melting.

The Sky Is Crying by Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble (Album, Blues  Rock): Reviews, Ratings, Credits, Song list - Rate Your Music

Electronic "One Day" I could call it a "resurrective song." Just so upbeat that resistance is futile. 

Raise the Pressure

So, just my one cent contribution. I hated grunge when it arrived: but I was beyond it's market. Now I'm much more appreciative and interested in it. STP's "No. 4" is a frequent repeater for me.

BenB
BenB HalfDork
6/18/24 5:47 p.m.

So many great albums!

My favorite:

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/18/24 7:55 p.m.

Hm, then there's this one:

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 Reader
6/18/24 8:24 p.m.

I've recognized much of my teenage CD sleeve on this thread.

Solid choices for Toadies / Rubberneck,  STP / Purple, and Outkast

But the one that got the most play was technically two discs:

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress Dork
6/18/24 8:34 p.m.

Fun fact: the 90's didn't begin until Nevermind and didn't end until Kid A. 

EDIT: But the answer for me is 100% Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Those guitars! 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/18/24 8:40 p.m.
preach said:

I ask new members of my crew a couple questions.

1. What is your walk up song. (Mine is Stayin Alive by the BeeGees)

2. Elvis or The Beatles? (Elvis)

3. AC/DC or Motorhead? (Motorhead)

You learn a lot about someone with those three.

1-Beck:Loser

2-Elvis I guess 

3-AC/DC

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/18/24 8:44 p.m.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
6/18/24 8:55 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Two things:

-Punk In Drublic!!!! That album is up there for me. Always reminds me of skateboarding and raising hell. The "he's more punk than me" line on Punk Guy is different on the cassette and CD, and the LP is the same as the CD. Always loved when bands did dumb stuff like that. 

-The Black Album was my first CD. It was a true crossroads situation: I had picked out either this or 19 Naughty III by Naughty By Nature. Choosing Metallica was a wise choice, and it set me down a path of musical taste that I still walk today. 

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
6/18/24 9:08 p.m.

The first Manson trilogy stands out as well. 

Portrait of an American family, anti Christ superstar, and Holywood. Before mechanical animals got all weird. 

I'd argue to this day they were the groups best albums, and they certainly made a mark on society and the music scene. 

I still find myself going back to them all these years later, and still getting the same hype as when I was 9-10 years old and hearing them for the first time. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/18/24 9:51 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Two things:

-Punk In Drublic!!!! That album is up there for me. Always reminds me of skateboarding and raising hell. The "he's more punk than me" line on Punk Guy is different on the cassette and CD, and the LP is the same as the CD. Always loved when bands did dumb stuff like that. 

-The Black Album was my first CD. It was a true crossroads situation: I had picked out either this or 19 Naughty III by Naughty By Nature. Choosing Metallica was a wise choice, and it set me down a path of musical taste that I still walk today. 

The Black album was the first album I really sought out on my own outside of traditional top 40 radio. I'd heard enter sandman and it was like nothing I was familiar with at the time. I needed it immediately. What followed has been several decades of every genre of metal you can imagine. It all started here. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
6/18/24 9:59 p.m.

Heres one I'm sure a few will recognize, but fewer might admit to. Insane Clown Posse- The Great Milenko. This is the album that broke them to the general public- and I BELIEVE their largest commercial success to date. Probably my first real experience with strange, offbeat music. Sure it counts as "hip-hop" but if you've heard it, you know. The lyrics, lets be real- are some of the worst rhymes ever put to vinyl. "I'm violent J and i'm back like a vertebrae"...come on guys. 

HOWEVER- the beats are tight and dark. It's well produced. It bangs a lot harder than it should for being what is effectively haunted carnival music. I owned my first copy of this during my 12's in the trunk era and this thing hit hard. Even now 20+ years later I can pull it up on Spotify and give the album a run through and there isn't a single song i'll skip. I'll be honest, I don't get it. Every time I listen to it I ask myself why. But I do it. I've listened to precisely one ICP song outside of this album (The one video they had that made MTV- their cover of Let's Go All The Way...previously discussed here under guilty pleasures or something) and the rest of their catalog I just can't stomach. But damned if this stupid thing doesn't hold up. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/19/24 5:00 a.m.

All the heavier stuff I'd have picked has been mentioned at least once, so I'll go a different direction. This album was the first non-heavy/prog/punk/alternative album that really drew me in & is still great - and I'm not even talking about the hits from it. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bXFEd4weyhMLhZDBDNWj6eHJRtPM17HKHDS1sJtDithlPVsoZI4EPiQk0RQLMwTu