3 4 5 6
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/19/24 12:23 p.m.

The longer I read this thread, the more I realize how little music I bought in the 90s.

I'm angry, angsty and whiney enough as it is.

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
6/19/24 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

90s Band Alignment Chart — Acetonic

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/19/24 1:11 p.m.
Mndsm said:

I'm gonna listen to all the stuff in this thread that I haven't heard, and I started here. It reminds me a lot of Cypress Hill, if CH were into haunted houses and butthole play instead of weed and shotguns.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
6/19/24 1:23 p.m.
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) said:

All the heavier stuff I'd have picked has been mentioned at least once, so I'll go a different direction. This album was the first non-heavy/prog/punk/alternative album that really drew me in & is still great - and I'm not even talking about the hits from it. 

I barely talk to my best friend from childhood/teen years these days.  However i can still send him any of the lyrics to Kiss From A Rose and expect the next line within the hour.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/19/24 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Mr_Asa :

Tell me you're gay without telling me you're gay.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
6/19/24 1:50 p.m.

This thread also reminds me of my first concert.

Incubus, touring for the S.C.I.E.N.C.E. album opened for Sugar Ray (when they still were ska-ish) and 311 closed it all

Maybe not the peak 90s concert, but a pretty strong mid-late-90s contender 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom MegaDork
6/19/24 2:05 p.m.

I can't stand how much time and energy I couldn't help putting into this.

This isn't The Right Answer, a perfect answer... It's this moment's best guess for me/90s/me-in-the-90s...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/19/24 2:10 p.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Duke said:

But not THE high point.  There isn't one.  Great stuff gets made every day.

Music is a bit like car styling -- for most people their taste gets formed when they're in their late teens and remains largely frozen for the rest of their life.  For me music peaked in 1987 and by 2000 or so I mostly wasn't interested.  That's not an absolute of course, I do occasionally hear newer stuff that I like but most of it is consciously emulating the sound of an earlier era.

Oh, I'm well aware of that tendency.  I just work hard to avoid it, because I don't want to miss out.

It also makes people sound prematurely old when they make comments saying that "good music" ended after a particular time frame.

StilettoSS
StilettoSS Reader
6/19/24 2:29 p.m.
RevRico said:

Portrait of an American family

Such a great album, I wish more people understood/appreciated it. laugh

StilettoSS
StilettoSS Reader
6/19/24 2:32 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Heres one I'm sure a few will recognize, but fewer might admit to. Insane Clown Posse- The Great Milenko.

Huge guilty pleasure to this day, I can probably rap the whole thing from memory blush From another album, F*ck the World is a favorite of mine when I'm royally pissed off, it makes me laugh and then I'm all better.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/19/24 2:42 p.m.

Have we mentioned They Might Be Giants yet?

Flood, their first major release, came out in 1990. I saw them perform it live in Williamsburg a few years ago. Magical. 

And, here, a deeper cut.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/19/24 2:47 p.m.

Angry reminded me. Cypress Hill's Black Sunday is hands down my favorite rap album.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/19/24 2:48 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Flood is a total classic. 
also, Goldfinger!

StilettoSS
StilettoSS Reader
6/19/24 2:53 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I love that you are trying out stuff you haven't heard. It's good to get out of your musical comfort zone laugh Try Marilyn Manson Portrait of an American Family next if you haven't heard it!

10001110101 Reader
6/19/24 3:01 p.m.

Can't forget this gem.

David S. Wallens
6/19/24 3:06 p.m.

Have we mentioned Sonic Youth? (I know, do a seach, noob.)

Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star (1994) is still a banger that defines the era. And like several albums mentioned here, involved Butch Vig. 

David S. Wallens
6/19/24 3:10 p.m.

Should have shared this version, by the way.

Beer Baron 🍺
Beer Baron 🍺 MegaDork
6/19/24 3:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Have we mentioned They Might Be Giants yet?

Flood, their first major release, came out in 1990. I saw them perform it live in Williamsburg a few years ago. Magical. 

And, here, a deeper cut.

Lock the thread because...

This is where the party ends.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS HalfDork
6/19/24 3:41 p.m.
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) said:

Live - Throwing Copper

This was my choice... 

but solid list all around (except for DMB, every single one of his songs sounds the same, they all sound like a guy whining)

David S. Wallens
6/19/24 3:58 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron 🍺 :

Can’t shake the devil’s hand and say you’re only kidding. 

llysgennad
llysgennad HalfDork
6/19/24 4:13 p.m.

I don't think anything was everywhere more than this...

Made from these:

hobiercr
hobiercr UberDork
6/19/24 4:35 p.m.

In the 90's I was listening to a LOT of small indie radio. A couple of standouts.

hobiercr
hobiercr UberDork
6/19/24 4:45 p.m.

A couple more.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/19/24 4:59 p.m.
Duke said:
jfryjfry said:

so many other greats already mentioned but I wonder how many would remember this one?

I have that one, plus Liquidizer, PLUS, I saw them live.

The '90s were a high point of music, agreed.

But not THE high point.  There isn't one.  Great stuff gets made every day.

I saw them...wait for it...last year. And they had some new material. Good stuff for sure. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
6/19/24 6:29 p.m.
RevRico said:

The first Manson trilogy stands out as well. 

Portrait of an American family, anti Christ superstar, and Holywood. Before mechanical animals got all weird. 

I'd argue to this day they were the groups best albums, and they certainly made a mark on society and the music scene. 

I still find myself going back to them all these years later, and still getting the same hype as when I was 9-10 years old and hearing them for the first time. 

There was a definite genre shift between PoaAF and ACS but they are both still solid in their own ways.  PoaAF was a loose collection of indictments of society, with a lot of loopy riffs and samples. ACS was a true concept album, describing the arc of a demagogue from rise to his end.  In that respect, MA and HW are both the same album as ACS, switching religious allegory to a dehumanizing Hollywood-glam-machine (heavy David Bowie influence, as well as Pink Floyd) and then a fictitious world (there was supposed to be a tie-in book) where the main religion was something called Celebritarianism, where celebrities were deified and dying in a photogenic, media friendly way in the spotlight was considered sacred. (No doubt influenced heavily by Columbine and the way the mass shooters became famous media darlings.  If you die when no-ones watching, then your ratings drop and you're forgotten. But if they kill you on the TV, you're a martyr and a lamb of god...  Or, more pointed: Some children died the other day/We fed machines and then we prayed.... You should have seen the ratings that day)  Same story, different settings.  (There was a thing someone did where they mixed a certain song from HW over a song from MA and the two melodies interacted with and complemented each other if you lined them up correctly)

They're all good. PoaAF, HW, and MA are sitting in my CD visor right now.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NpMQZF1iMQDZAUCFesTLcWXdb4yuiBpqvPCC5fv39ldSPCpk0T7MR6q9ybW8iZSm