1 2
porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
10/15/11 6:32 p.m.

I was wondering about the HOT lanes here in Atl that require 3+ people to use them. My CRX only seats two, Am I suposed to put a person in the hatch or on the cover behind the seat so I can drive there? My, that sounds safe.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
10/15/11 8:36 p.m.

I have commuted to work.. but was never able to get more than myself and another in the car at one time

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 Dork
10/15/11 8:41 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: I used our toll road yesterday so I dug my pass out of the console, took it out of the little electronic type metal coated baggie it came in. That made me wonder, does that little baggie really stop the flow of electrons to the outside world and do these things ever wear out?

I've had my ezpass for a while now. A few days ago I got a letter from them saying that the batteries only last for 8 to 10 years, and they will give me a "free" replacement if I wrap it in tinfoil and mail it back to them.

HoustonNW
HoustonNW New Reader
10/15/11 11:20 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: in houston, they passed a bond measure to pay for the i-10 expansion, then somehow "sold" the HOT lanes which take up like 4 lanes worth of width to some other company that runs the show now. same kind of deal around austin, except afaik it was much more shady, something about "losing" the bond money and then "finding" it again after the toll road was already going up.

I've been on I10 and they still have HOV lanes, note the final consonant. Are you saying that they don't? Are you saying that Houston has 4 lanes of HOT?

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
10/15/11 11:43 p.m.

Nice story. A buddy never pays tolls on his bike. He just reaches back and covers the plate as he blows trough the I-PASS toll. Nice.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
10/16/11 1:18 a.m.
It's important to note that a patent filing is a far cry from the invention and manufacturing of a new product. Many patent filings are nothing more than a defensive measure taken to protect the farthest reaches of intellectual property. Officials at Kapsch declined to be interviewed for this story, but in a statement said that citizens shouldn't read too much into the filing. “This patent filing is part of the standard intellectual property protection process followed by every company that invests in research and development," said Erwin Toplak, chief operating officer of Kapsch, in an e-mail. "Kapsch, for example, files approximately 20 patent applications a year. This process protects our unique ideas; it does not signify that a commercial product is in development or even contemplated .”
ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
10/16/11 9:27 p.m.
porksboy wrote: I was wondering about the HOT lanes here in Atl that require 3+ people to use them. My CRX only seats two, Am I suposed to put a person in the hatch or on the cover behind the seat so I can drive there? My, that sounds safe.

You are expected to ride with someone in a car that seats 3 or more. Or get a different car. Or pay the toll. Or stay in the normal lanes.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
10/17/11 12:45 a.m.

In reply to HoustonNW:

On the west side there are two hov/hot lanes each way, at first they were hov all the time, and you only got charged if you were alone in the car. Now they've changed it to where its only an hov m-f and you pay to use the lanes regardless of how many people you have with you

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dyOcx7zDWQzl5JP9Q4dLZasClbUpL2lixX7S6mCI8Cc67gHMkOEKflWDdMcOflFK