fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
6/22/11 7:44 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aPdr3usSJk&

I love how the round come out, seems to almost pause for a (thousandth of a?) second and then take off. Probably an illusion caused by the gas and smoke catching up to it but still cool!

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
6/22/11 7:52 p.m.

That's pretty wild. I like seeing the shockwave coming off the gun and going backwards.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
6/22/11 8:39 p.m.

Looks like a lot of wasted energy there. If they could harness that the shell would have more power.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
6/22/11 11:20 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Looks like a lot of wasted energy there. If they could harness that the shell would have more power.

There was no barrel recoil and the slow-mo may have disguised the efficiency.

Where's 914driver? We need his input.........

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/23/11 5:41 a.m.

Have to wait, YouTube es verboten at work.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
6/23/11 8:21 a.m.
914Driver wrote: Have to wait, YouTube es verboten at work.

Ditto

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/23/11 8:42 a.m.

The T-90 is a 125mm smooth bore, where the Abrahms is a 120mm smooth bore.

Neither have a muzzle brake.

Both have a bore evacuator half way between the turret and muzzle end.

Both have an active protection system (though the Abrahms has better coverage).

The Russian turret is cast where the Abrahms' is welded armour plate.

I'm anxious to see the video.

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
6/23/11 10:52 a.m.

Very cool, I love highspeed camera work. I doubt there's much in the way of wasted energy. The blast and fireball, though visually impressive, aren't all that big a percentage of the kinetic energy in that shells' propellant I bet. You can always try and harness more force by running the shell through a longer barrel, but at some point you run into difficulties of one kind or another. Harmonics, rigidity problems, and who knows whatall else.... We humans might not be so good at diplomacy, or cultural sensitivity, or scientific literacy on a large scale, but we're really, really good at ballistics. I bet the barrel length of that there T90 is juuuust about optimal.

cardiacdog
cardiacdog Reader
6/23/11 2:13 p.m.

That was beyond awesome. Love the way it kicks up debris from the ground. As for all the physics stuff...I tried to purge that after college

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
6/23/11 4:29 p.m.

No, that's about right. A muzzle brake would direct the flash and smoke away making it less dramatic.

Depends on the round also. Different charges do different things and we don't know what was in there, coulda been a light training round which would give a big flash. You can see the projectile and shock wave at about 0.4 seconds.

That trash can half way down the bore is an evacuator. The shell goes past it and the low pressure left behind sucks all the air out of the can. In an effort to equalize (it can't because the shell is still in the way) it sucks air from the cabin, saving the crew from all the smoke & crap when they open the door; that's about 20 seconds into the tape.

I'll see if I have some entertainment for you.

Dan

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KHKT5uyZDGuaTJX8pmfraK1Te6OdZhzHLl8bODVpksYh365OZbPJTgA6INprWk6K