3 4 5
ww
ww Dork
8/23/08 7:37 p.m.
as I view it, makes light of people who are afflicted with common ordinary attributes

Hehehehe... this is a joke right? "afflicted" with common ordinary attributes? I freely admit, I am one of those afflicted...

But I always strive to exceed societies expectations...

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/23/08 7:51 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
JohnSSC wrote: I am just as likely to be a random victim as any other common ordinary slob out there..
I couldn't love GRM the magazine or the website more, and believe me, I don't like to be the P.C police or anything or the guy who has a problem with everything thing, but I do have a problem with this... I find it a bit offensive that you use terms like “common ordinary slob..etc etc... for your little descriptions or whatever in the discussions. I myself am not an ordinary slob, nor am I common, but I feel sensitivity for people with who are common ordinary slobs as I am a student living among them, and my Girlfriend is pursuing her masters in the field. These terms although I'm pretty sure are not even real words, are obviously meant to resemble the words used to describe people with cleanliness impairments, and it appears that they are used on these boards in a joking sense which, as I view it, makes light of people who are afflicted with common ordinary attributes

I was waiting for this...

doitover
doitover Reader
8/25/08 9:31 a.m.

No, actually I had some great teachers or I wouldn't be where I am today. None of them struck me as having the temperament of a soldier or policeman. I grew up in a farming community so my opinion of manly may be a little skewed but I can't see the 100 lb 50 year old lit teacher deftly pulling a handgun out and laying down suppressing fire. :)

The couple of jock types that there were I would not have trusted with a gun even though they would probably have had good intentions. The one guy I would have trusted was the farmer that ran the school bus shop. Those German farmers were cool headed.

I really can't imagine my experience was that unique.

Wally wrote:
doitover wrote: I can't think of a single teacher I had that I would have wanted carrying a gun. I think it's odd that we have spent decades now of taking authority away from teachers because our kids can do no wrong and we don't want their heads filled with ideas that might be different than ours, and then we want to turn around and arm these same people. Life is a weird thing.
You've had some awful teaches. I would trust most of my teachers to do what is right
Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/25/08 11:13 a.m.
doitover wrote: No, actually I had some great teachers or I wouldn't be where I am today. None of them struck me as having the temperament of a soldier or policeman. I grew up in a farming community so my opinion of manly may be a little skewed but I can't see the 100 lb 50 year old lit teacher deftly pulling a handgun out and laying down suppressing fire. :) The couple of jock types that there were I would not have trusted with a gun even though they would probably have had good intentions. The one guy I would have trusted was the farmer that ran the school bus shop. Those German farmers were cool headed. I really can't imagine my experience was that unique.

I fail to see this as an argument against arming teachers. Seems to me that not having the temperament of a soldier or policeman would be beneficial in a school. Laying down suppressive fire is not going to help in a hostage situation.

And the fact that you can't see the 50 y/o lady carrying means that no one else will expect it either.

doitover
doitover Reader
8/25/08 11:27 a.m.

I don't think the purpose of arming arming teachers is to deal with hostage situations. The purpose would be to deal with somebody that steps in the door and starts firing. Or you hear firing down the hall. You need someone that can calmly react and respond in minutes or less. Most of us aren't equiped to do that.

If you knew the teacher might be armed, they'd be the first one shot anyway.

Salanis wrote:
doitover wrote: No, actually I had some great teachers or I wouldn't be where I am today. None of them struck me as having the temperament of a soldier or policeman. I grew up in a farming community so my opinion of manly may be a little skewed but I can't see the 100 lb 50 year old lit teacher deftly pulling a handgun out and laying down suppressing fire. :) The couple of jock types that there were I would not have trusted with a gun even though they would probably have had good intentions. The one guy I would have trusted was the farmer that ran the school bus shop. Those German farmers were cool headed. I really can't imagine my experience was that unique.
I fail to see this as an argument against arming teachers. Seems to me that *not* having the temperament of a soldier or policeman would be beneficial in a school. Laying down suppressive fire is not going to help in a hostage situation. And the fact that you can't see the 50 y/o lady carrying means that no one else will expect it either.
Salanis
Salanis Dork
8/25/08 11:37 a.m.
doitover wrote: I don't think the purpose of arming arming teachers is to deal with hostage situations. The purpose would be to deal with somebody that steps in the door and starts firing. Or you hear firing down the hall. You need someone that can calmly react and respond in minutes or less. Most of us aren't equiped to do that. If you knew the teacher might be armed, they'd be the first one shot anyway.

The purpose is to deal with a lethal threat to the school population.

If I recall, there are far more instances of students going on shooting sprees than outsiders coming in. Drawing on a person pointing a gun at another student who has not fired, falls into my description of a hostage situation. They want something to happen, or their going to pull the trigger. You want to do what it takes to prevent that student, or any other, from getting killed.

Yes you need people who can calmly react and respond to emergencies. I'd say teachers have practice with that.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/25/08 2:33 p.m.

New idea...open a police sub-station near the school.

ww
ww Dork
8/26/08 12:57 a.m.

Near EVERY school? I don't think that's fiscally practical do you?

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
8/26/08 4:32 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: New idea...open a police sub-station near the school.

We've had that here for years. Doesn't do much.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/26/08 7:39 p.m.

File under "better than nothing, but really?"

I've got a better idea: allow already-legal carry.

Oh, and John, are you having your Abrams refurbished as a project at your urban youth center? Clever bastard! How can I get in on this free child labor? Have you and the clown cornered the market?

madmallard
madmallard New Reader
8/26/08 8:10 p.m.

using the improbability of a possibility as a key point to deny someone a recognised right is an intellectually vacant viewpoint...

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WLGHmhHnBkNBvSs5GwbYPyVEKCdOPjr3FZ8Mz0EXIauaeJQAlXkBlrzltxt9JJ8g