JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/14/10 6:54 p.m.

http://www.allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?action=openalbum&albumid=9980231374607

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/14/10 7:37 p.m.

http://io9.com/5578742/futuristic-cars-inspired-by-syd-meads-blade-runner-designs/gallery/

alfadriver
alfadriver Dork
7/14/10 8:07 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
triumph5 wrote: In reply to alfadriver: Was he the guy who bought pieces for one from all over the world, then assembled them? I think the majoity of it came from south America. It met the same demise as the RB51 due to a flame-out. He ejected and lived. but years of work, pancke. It is a gorgeous plane, and GREAT in the Right Stuff.
It's actually a bit worse than that. After setting a 996 mph low altitude speed record (better than any military or civilian plane in the world) he was preparing for an altitude record when... Full Story: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1093756/1/index.htm

Ironically, the RB51 met a very scary similar fate- the props reversed pitch all of a sudden, and since he was in a race- there was no recovery. How the heck he survied it was shocking to all of us in Idaho Falls.

He also had a "basic" P-51D that we got to enjoy listening to. And it appears that it's no longer there anymore (can't find hotlinks to that plane). OTOH, they still do restorations there-

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/14/10 8:48 p.m.

YEAH! Triple Solex Carbs on a Z car.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/14/10 8:51 p.m.

WHY?

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/14/10 11:11 p.m.

A few decades ago, we lived about a mile (as the crow flies) from the municipal airport where the town had built its' regional trade school right next to to the runway. Yeah, the school featured aviation-tech classes - oooh!

A friend and I were exploring the woods on a late fall afternoon when we heard "IT", an airplane nothing like the Ford Tri-Motor that was serviced at the school a couple of years earlier. Thank God the leaves had fallen and we could catch a glimpse of that profile painted in an awful (but eye-catching) blue; we knew where we heading next!

There was no trail and a few of those damn New England stone fences in the way, but we got to the airport in time to see a few touch-n-goes and the Mustang finally land and disappear into the school's hangar.

Don't know who owned the plane, who flew it, or what happened to it, but that was a day remembered - forever!

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/15/10 12:50 a.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Dang, that's rough. Coulda been rougher for Greenmeyer, tho..didn't the early 104s actually have "downward" ejection seats?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/15/10 12:54 a.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:

Risi rocks. Everybody remembers their GT cars, but forgets they had the most success with Ferrari's last prototype..

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
7/15/10 4:55 a.m.

In reply to friedgreencorrado:

Haha, i remember it. Wasnt it Wayne Taylor, Ralf Kelleners, Eric Van de Pole.... A family friend drove their rig, would hook me up with broken 333sp bodywork.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/15/10 5:44 a.m.

Powar
Powar Dork
7/15/10 8:44 a.m.
Opus wrote:
Powar wrote:
more info please!!!

I don't really know anything about it except that it has a (thankfully) one of a kind front end conversion and is supposedly a V4 like mine. I'd love to have a set of those Compmotive wheels and 4-bolt hubs for mine.

Here are the other pics that were posted.

The pics were posted by a member of SaabLink.net in Finland.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/15/10 9:57 a.m.

Here's a nice rendering of the Seven and a pair of Elans on steroids.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/15/10 10:37 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/15/10 10:38 a.m.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
7/15/10 11:15 a.m.

Streamliner trucks FTW. And some Raymond Loewy locomotive lovin':

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
7/15/10 11:49 a.m.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/15/10 12:22 p.m.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
7/15/10 12:24 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:

Some things get better with age apparently...

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/15/10 12:29 p.m.
914Driver wrote:

The future certainly looks a little retro

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/radical-aerodynamic-semi-truck-with-0-29-cd-offers-dramatic-fuel-savings/

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
7/15/10 12:29 p.m.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow HalfDork
7/15/10 1:13 p.m.

Sorry I don't see it the well aside from the fact that they are both red.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/15/10 1:24 p.m.

Ford took the queues from everywhere else too - handles in the body lines? BMW, Headlights wrap all the way back to the B pillar? Nissan, I bet they have 'yotas bulbous tailights too. Thats the way of the industry (which is unfortunate most new cars today look gross!)

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/15/10 1:36 p.m.
fastEddie wrote:

Could be so much better with body-color trim, blacked-out grills and, please get rid of those fugly chrome wheels.

hobiercr
hobiercr Reader
7/15/10 1:43 p.m.

Powar
Powar Dork
7/15/10 1:55 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oCkETCNAL7YrCCNg9N2lt5L6JOMZnpy8JNIa6y1dJhdVmFiXfjbJmngndWoDizbu