carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
7/22/10 2:56 p.m.

I could have gone another 10 years without seeing that pic.

pete240z wrote:
mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/22/10 3:20 p.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/22/10 4:25 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: I could have gone another 10 years without seeing that pic.
pete240z wrote:

I always preferred this

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/22/10 4:26 p.m.

....and this

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/22/10 4:53 p.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/22/10 6:44 p.m.

The important question is who owns his socks.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
7/22/10 6:57 p.m.
DukeOfUndersteer wrote: i want one!

Is that an original Ferrari? Or is that just a really nice bodykit for a Fiat X1/9?

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/22/10 7:21 p.m.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
7/22/10 7:28 p.m.

in its native non-military element...

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/22/10 8:02 p.m.

Berkeley SA322

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
7/22/10 8:17 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
Is that an original Ferrari? Or is that just a really nice bodykit for a Fiat X1/9?

Its an AC 3000ME (ME3000) Or their successor to the AC Ace (Shelby's Cobra) Interestingly they brought a couple to the US during Shelby's time with Chrysler. They were looking at dropping an American motor in the back. Since Shelby was with Chrysler and Chevy ignored them, a 2.2 turbo drivetrain found its way in the back to make a more modern version of the Cobra. He got as far as making a couple of prototypes, but that's it, before Chrysler dropped it and focused on short term gains to get out of the hole they were in (nevermind that this could have really put them in the spotlight and one up Ford and Chevy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cars

http://www.polybushings.com/pages/3000.html

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
7/22/10 8:33 p.m.
turboswede wrote:
Salanis wrote:
Its an AC 3000ME (ME3000) Or their successor to the AC Ace (Shelby's Cobra) Interestingly they brought a couple to the US during Shelby's time with Chrysler. They were looking at dropping an American motor in the back. Since Shelby was with Chrysler and Chevy ignored them, a 2.2 turbo drivetrain found its way in the back to make a more modern version of the Cobra. He got as far as making a couple of prototypes, but that's it, before Chrysler dropped it and focused on short term gains to get out of the hole they were in (nevermind that this could have really put them in the spotlight and one up Ford and Chevy). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cars http://www.polybushings.com/pages/3000.html

Whatever...it'd still make a neat re-body for an X1-9, or maybe a Fiero...hmmm.

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
7/22/10 8:47 p.m.
shadetree30 wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:
Got curious, had to find out what it was. From what I can tell it was a one-off? From Wiki: The Conroy Tri-Turbo-Three was a Douglas DC-3 fitted with three Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 engines by Conroy Aircraft; the third engine was mounted on the nose of the aircraft. It first flew on November 2, 1977. The cruise speed of the aircraft was increased to 230 miles per hour (370 km/h). The engine mounted on the nose could be shut off decreasing the speed to 180 miles per hour (290 km/h) and increasing the range of the aircraft. It was used by Polair and Maritime Patrol And Rescue. In early May 1986 workers at the Santa Barbara Municipal Airport accidentally started a fire in the cockpit of the aircraft which destroyed the cockpit.
Marty!
Marty! Dork
7/22/10 9:05 p.m.

http://www.airventure.org/news/2010/100721_french.html

Frenchman crosses the Atlantic in a homebuilt helicopter

A full week before AirVenture opening day, a lone Kompress CH-7 helicopter was parked in the Ultralights area. It arrived Monday afternoon. From France.

No frickin' way I would even think of flying that thing across a ocean!

Marty!
Marty! Dork
7/22/10 9:09 p.m.

bigwrench
bigwrench Reader
7/22/10 9:25 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
bigwrench wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
I WANT ONE!!
You get 4 of those silly triangles with this one.

Thats oh I have 2 already! can,t I just add this one!

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/22/10 10:00 p.m.
bigwrench wrote:
mndsm wrote:
bigwrench wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
I WANT ONE!!
You get 4 of those silly triangles with this one.
Thats oh I have 2 already! can,t I just add this one!

Ornate key chains are rather silly.

Static displays of 4-rotors need some perspective:

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/22/10 10:35 p.m.

Pete Knight: one fast motherberkelyer. On October 3, 1967, Knight set a world aircraft speed record for manned aircraft by piloting the X-15A-2 to 4,520 mph (7,274 km/h) (Mach 6.72), a record that still stands today. During 16 flights in the aircraft, Knight also became one of only five pilots to earn their astronaut wings by flying an airplane in space, reaching an altitude of 280,500 feet.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/22/10 10:38 p.m.

And I prefer Basler's Turbo DC-3.

Keith
Keith SuperDork
7/22/10 11:13 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Pete Knight: one fast motherberkelyer. On October 3, 1967, Knight set a world aircraft speed record for manned aircraft by piloting the X-15A-2 to 4,520 mph (7,274 km/h) (Mach 6.72), a record that still stands today. During 16 flights in the aircraft, Knight also became one of only five pilots to earn their astronaut wings by flying an airplane in space, reaching an altitude of 280,500 feet.

Yes, and he melted his plane in the flight!

NASA has a free book on the X-15 program. Awesome read. BTW, eight of the pilots earned their astronaut wings in the plane: Robert White
Robert Rushworth Joe Engle
William Knight
Michael J. Adams
William H. "Bill" Dana
John B. "Jack" McKay
Joseph A. Walker

The last three were civilian pilots, not Air Force. They were officially recognized and given their astronaut wings in 2005. Unfortunately only Bill Dana was still alive to receive them.

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/22/10 11:48 p.m.

Those who earned their astronaut wings owe this guy, big time:

Scott Crossfield

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/23/10 12:40 a.m.

Another x-15 jockey, Joe Engle. Had the extreme pleasure of meeting him at Oshkosh. He auto graphed my logbook. Here's a man who has flown a ton of aircraft, including the Shuttle orbiter and he's thumbing through my logbook to see what I'd flown.

During STS-2's re-entry, Engle manually flew the re-entry from Mach 24 throughout the entire approach and landing — the only shuttle pilot to have done so

Hocrest
Hocrest Reader
7/23/10 6:05 a.m.
Marty! wrote: http://www.airventure.org/news/2010/100721_french.html Frenchman crosses the Atlantic in a homebuilt helicopter A full week before AirVenture opening day, a lone Kompress CH-7 helicopter was parked in the Ultralights area. It arrived Monday afternoon. From France. --- No frickin' way I would even think of flying that thing across a ocean!

When that's the only available ride out of France, you'll take whats available...

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/23/10 6:51 a.m.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
7/23/10 7:36 a.m.
shadetree30 wrote:
shadetree30 wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:
Got curious, had to find out what it was. From what I can tell it was a one-off? From Wiki: The Conroy Tri-Turbo-Three was a Douglas DC-3 fitted with three Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 engines by Conroy Aircraft; the third engine was mounted on the nose of the aircraft. It first flew on November 2, 1977. The cruise speed of the aircraft was increased to 230 miles per hour (370 km/h). The engine mounted on the nose could be shut off decreasing the speed to 180 miles per hour (290 km/h) and increasing the range of the aircraft. It was used by Polair and Maritime Patrol And Rescue. In early May 1986 workers at the Santa Barbara Municipal Airport accidentally started a fire in the cockpit of the aircraft which destroyed the cockpit.

Yup, that'd be the one! He has a ton of pics in our bin of pics of him and the plane up at the North Pole and various places around the world. Ill have to scan some in and upload them

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x8NeC8z4Hy880Rsb3R8gxjU63dYpebfhtQIkKc62XsN2RXRXcPfbLRhrlL3vcqDW