RX Reven'
RX Reven' Reader
7/23/10 8:46 a.m.

I was going to hotlink a picture of a Cessna 172 but I thought two North American F-86's would be slightly more attractive.

slefain
slefain Dork
7/23/10 9:02 a.m.

I present you:

Colonel John Paul Stapp.

He did this for a living: +

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Stapp

John Paul Stapp > pretty much everyone

oldsaw
oldsaw Dork
7/23/10 9:08 a.m.
RX Reven' wrote: I was going to hotlink a picture of a Cessna 172 but I thought two North American F-86's would be slightly more attractive.

Sweet!

There was a mediocre show on the Military Channel yesterday that chronicled the development of fighters. The (too short) segment that featured F86's made me a bit tingly.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
7/23/10 9:10 a.m.
shadetree30 wrote:
shadetree30 wrote:
DukeOfUndersteer wrote:
Got curious, had to find out what it was. From what I can tell it was a one-off? From Wiki: The Conroy Tri-Turbo-Three was a Douglas DC-3 fitted with three Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6 engines by Conroy Aircraft; the third engine was mounted on the nose of the aircraft. It first flew on November 2, 1977. The cruise speed of the aircraft was increased to 230 miles per hour (370 km/h). The engine mounted on the nose could be shut off decreasing the speed to 180 miles per hour (290 km/h) and increasing the range of the aircraft. It was used by Polair and Maritime Patrol And Rescue. In early May 1986 workers at the Santa Barbara Municipal Airport accidentally started a fire in the cockpit of the aircraft which destroyed the cockpit.

and further research found me a quote from MY DAD that i have never seen before!

my Dad said: Chris Hutton says.. I spent many years working for Jack Conroy building and flying the TT-3. It had remarkable performance for a 1942 airframe. I am sorry to see the sad state that it is in today. The rest of the pictures are marvelous. I would however, like to mention that some of the information you have posted on the TT-3 page is incorrect. The plane never suffered from any vibration issues. In fact it was very smooth indeed as DC-3s go. There were no problems with exhaust entering the cockpit and effecting the flight crew. The flight deck environment was very comfortable. The engines were very reliable and trouble free in any climate including flight operations at the North Pole. We operated from an open ice strip at Station Nord, one of the northern most 'airfields' on the planet where cold start temperatures were routinely -40 degrees. The lack of type certification was due largely to the untimely passing of Jack Conroy and resistance from McDonald Douglas, (they liked to sell new airplanes). This airframe had a very interesting history with some great stories behind it. I hope you can rectify the errors on the page as the former employees of Specialized Aircraft and pilots of the Tri Turbo Three have great respect for this hard working airplane. I would also be very interested in any efforts to preserve/restore the TT-3.

and as it sits today...

81gtv6
81gtv6 HalfDork
7/23/10 9:28 a.m.

The first and only so far turbo mid engined V8 vehical that I have driven

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/23/10 9:38 a.m.
81gtv6 wrote: The first and only so far turbo mid engined V8 vehical that I have driven

swap in a LSX and strip the body = sweet locost

Toyman01
Toyman01 Dork
7/23/10 10:19 a.m.

Joseph_Kittinger A brave soul. Holds the record for the highest parachute jump at 102800 feet. That's over 19 miles up. He fell for over four minutes at speeds up to 614 mph.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/23/10 11:38 a.m.

Christmas tree of Heinekin.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/23/10 12:42 p.m.

THIS is happening in my borough tomorrow.

BradLTL
BradLTL Reader
7/23/10 1:02 p.m.
mndsm wrote: THIS is happening in my borough tomorrow.

I don't understand the point, or the rules, but I TOTALLY want to do it!

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/23/10 1:07 p.m.

Definitely. I read the rules, and it seems to me it's pretty simple. Make goofy looking craft that might fly. Gather idiot buddies to help you fly said deathtrap. Launch deathtrap off the end of a ramp. Pray you don't crash. Crash spectacularly anyhow. Bonus points for distance, and looking cool.

EDIT: Obligatory hotlinked pic

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
7/23/10 1:08 p.m.
RX Reven' wrote: I was going to hotlink a picture of a Cessna 172 but I thought two North American F-86's would be slightly more attractive.

Maybe, but a 172 is more grassroots ...

My uncle kept one at his ranch, flying out of one of his pastures. He had to take the wheelpants off because they turned green/brown from the cowchips.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
7/23/10 1:12 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:
81gtv6 wrote: The first and only so far turbo mid engined V8 vehical that I have driven
swap in a LSX and strip the body = sweet locost

Oshkosh, b'gosh!

rebelgtp
rebelgtp Dork
7/23/10 1:36 p.m.

My first flight, first time ever in a plane and I was flying it, was in a 172. Great little plane.

81gtv6
81gtv6 HalfDork
7/23/10 1:59 p.m.

In reply to slantvaliant:

8 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer and a window in the floor, good fun.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/23/10 2:00 p.m.
81gtv6 wrote: In reply to slantvaliant: 8 wheel drive, 4 wheel steer and a window in the floor, good fun.

There's a window in the floor? Do they float? Imagine it with half a winnebago on the back....

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
7/23/10 2:05 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: My first flight, first time ever in a plane and I was flying it, was in a 172. Great little plane.

+1. I wanna sign up to do it again, gotta blow the dust off the Flight Sim game and brush up on my skills

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/23/10 3:09 p.m.

Flying myself scares the hell out of me, mostly because when it goes wrong, i'm gonna be the one in control.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/23/10 5:43 p.m.
mndsm wrote: THIS is happening in my borough tomorrow.

Psshhh. Everyone knows Brigantines can't fly.

Toyman01
Toyman01 Dork
7/23/10 6:04 p.m.
mndsm wrote: Flying myself scares the hell out of me, mostly because when it goes wrong, i'm gonna be the one not in control.

Fixed that for you.

Required image...

Keith
Keith SuperDork
7/23/10 6:09 p.m.
slantvaliant wrote: My uncle kept one at his ranch, flying out of one of his pastures. He had to take the wheelpants off because they turned green/brown from the cowchips.

I am going to find a way to work the term "wheelpants" into conversation tomorrow.

JoeyM
JoeyM HalfDork
7/23/10 8:06 p.m.

http://www.metalshapers.org/tips/fay/index.htm

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/23/10 8:09 p.m.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
7/23/10 8:11 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
7/23/10 8:24 p.m.

Wheelpants just holds women's attention longer than "skirts for airplanes".

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F20JkFtIgukfTQ8V4qH4VbchDVkXS6a2TmH3nYKwZdsD6Ck5jxhQ1C2rd9hRKtTL