4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
8/14/13 2:01 p.m.
DustoffDave wrote:

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/14/13 2:23 p.m.
Javelin wrote:

That picture captures the moment where the driver says "screw it, the run's blown anyway".

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/14/13 2:35 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Javelin wrote:
That picture captures the moment where the driver says "screw it, the run's blown anyway".

Yup!

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/14/13 2:36 p.m.

Weight transfer

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/14/13 2:39 p.m.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/14/13 2:40 p.m.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
8/14/13 2:48 p.m.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
8/14/13 3:04 p.m.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance UltraDork
8/14/13 3:06 p.m.

slefain
slefain UltraDork
8/14/13 3:07 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote:

slantvaliant
slantvaliant SuperDork
8/14/13 3:08 p.m.
Javelin wrote:

Same car, at about 140 MPH:

photo 162NConcorde.jpg

... and at the Optima Ultimate Street Car Challenge Qualifier (Hot Rod Power Tour 2012)

photo DSCF3689.jpg

Fairly versatile, I'd say!

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
8/14/13 3:09 p.m.

So I was unaware people raced 300s.

But holy crap dat sound http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnmZ1jgU2Kc

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
8/14/13 3:21 p.m.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
8/14/13 3:26 p.m.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/14/13 3:35 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Yup!

Where was that event? Because we had a similar... deployment not to far from this area.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/14/13 3:39 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Where was that event? Because we had a similar... deployment not to far from this area.

You talking about the one in Frederick, MD on the Camaro, or another one?

Duke
Duke PowerDork
8/14/13 3:44 p.m.

No, there was one at Dover, in a CTS-V (wagon or sedan, I can't recall).

Yes, that's a full-size COT shell in his hand.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
8/14/13 3:59 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
Duke wrote:

99% sure that was at last years Hot Rod Power Tour in Muskegon, MI. Video here:
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/06/watch-gm-engineers-cadillac-cts-v-wagon-blow-its-airbag-during/

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
8/14/13 4:27 p.m.
kazoospec wrote:
Apexcarver wrote:
Duke wrote:
99% sure that was at last years Hot Rod Power Tour in Muskegon, MI. Video here: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/06/watch-gm-engineers-cadillac-cts-v-wagon-blow-its-airbag-during/

We had a CTS-V sedan set them off at a SCR-SCCA autocross. Brand new car, first autocross for the owner, had an instructor in the passenger seat, with his helmet resting on the trim panel above the door. Needless to say it rang his bell.

The air bags deployed at the third cone in a slalom. The back end stepped out about 10 degrees and bang.

I'd be all up in GMs butt about that if it was my car. That's got to be a fairly expensive fix.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/14/13 4:30 p.m.
Duke wrote: No, there was one at Dover, in a CTS-V (wagon or sedan, I can't recall). Yes, that's a full-size COT shell in his hand.

With a wing! Someone climb up and get that.

ransom
ransom UltraDork
8/14/13 4:56 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: The air bags deployed at the third cone in a slalom. The back end stepped out about 10 degrees and bang. I'd be all up in GMs butt about that if it was my car. That's got to be a fairly expensive fix.

And then there's the heebie jeebies of a safety system which may render you unable to drive the car and thus cause you to have a crash you wouldn't have had in the first place, and have it with airbags deflating/deflated... (airbags don't stay effective for very long once deployed, right? I'm under the impression they get inflated just in time for impact and go straight to getting out of the way so you can hopefully exit the car under your own power...)

Deciding to set off airbags before sensing an impact sounds like a giant can of worms to me, though I can also see being thankful that someone is able to herd the worms...

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
8/14/13 5:08 p.m.

Holy 4 post lift. I don't think I'd climb under it.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
8/14/13 5:31 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
Duke wrote:

we had the same thing happen at a CCR event at Z-Max earlier this yr (Cadillac sedan .. not sure which iteration ) ...

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
8/14/13 6:13 p.m.

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
8/14/13 6:53 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xOJS7px7NhuicQBMviONOu4fGjfMHIxMr74kFFVHqIWskdvJFKnfNu5SDfr0Vejg