914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/2/16 4:31 p.m.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
9/2/16 5:04 p.m.
914Driver wrote: We need more flames.

I would have to disagree with you there. Flames are akin to having a little cabbage patch kid with his face buried into the car in my opinion. But i will say it does certainly takes talent to do flames; less so on the stuffed toddler.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine HalfDork
9/2/16 5:39 p.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote:
Mezzanine wrote: Also not a steer:
Simmental is my favorite breed of bovine! I started showing cattle in the 3rd grade with a Simmental bull, they're a very docile breed. I had a bull in high school that was as friendly as puppy, like Clifford the Big Red Dog puppy, sometimes unaware of his own size and power, but friendly still. I won grand champion in breed stock with that bull, and best I ever did in showmanship was with that bull, I had complete control. However, best I could do in showmanship was reserve champion. The judge was more impressed with my competition in the Bareback Rocky Mountain jeans, than my control of the giant beast. I guess were I judge, I could maybe see his point.

MY FAVORITE TOO! We had a small herd of Simmental growing up, and I'm amazed to hear your story as mine is very similar. I never showed, but I did handle ours a lot. We had a bull that looked almost exactly like this guy (maybe a little smaller):

We drove him around the area for stud service, and he was the most gentle, docile friend. Just like a big pup. My sister and I had to give him a wash once a week when he got mange once, and we'd climb right up on his back. He seemed to enjoy the attention.

I've been trying to convince my wife to let me have a cow or three all along, but she isn't biting.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
9/2/16 5:43 p.m.

More car flames coming up!

A must admit, this makes me a bit sick to my stomach.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
9/2/16 7:08 p.m.
Mezzanine wrote:
bigdaddylee82 wrote:
Mezzanine wrote: Also not a steer:
Simmental is my favorite breed of bovine! I started showing cattle in the 3rd grade with a Simmental bull, they're a very docile breed. I had a bull in high school that was as friendly as puppy, like Clifford the Big Red Dog puppy, sometimes unaware of his own size and power, but friendly still. I won grand champion in breed stock with that bull, and best I ever did in showmanship was with that bull, I had complete control. However, best I could do in showmanship was reserve champion. The judge was more impressed with my competition in the Bareback Rocky Mountain jeans, than my control of the giant beast. I guess were I judge, I could maybe see his point.
MY FAVORITE TOO! We had a small herd of Simmental growing up, and I'm amazed to hear your story as mine is very similar. I never showed, but I did handle ours a lot. We had a bull that looked almost exactly like this guy (maybe a little smaller): We drove him around the area for stud service, and he was the most gentle, docile friend. Just like a big pup. My sister and I had to give him a wash once a week when he got mange once, and we'd climb right up on his back. He seemed to enjoy the attention. I've been trying to convince my wife to let me have a cow or three all along, but she isn't biting.

My big gentle giant was a Fleckvieh, looked similar to this fella, except he was completely baldfaced no eye patches.

We've had a little bit of everything over the years, predominately Simmental though. For a while Grandpa ran a Brahma bull with the heard, so the calves were Simbrah. Somewhere there's a picture of me and my cousin riding on that Brahma bull's back, his name was Beebe. Went back to Simmental bulls for a long time, then Grandpa got a wild hair, and got a black Limousin bull. The Limousin made some pretty black calves that were/are en vogue, but he and his calves were berking nuts! I don't miss him. Then keeping with the black trend (black calves sell better) he got a black Simmental.

I showed steers, and commercial heifers too. Our steers were always from our farm, got 3rd in my class at state one year, pretty good considering it was a steer we raised instead of a $15-20K calf from one of the Texas or Oklahoma niche breeders.

I bottle fed and raised a dozen Angus/Holstein cross calves bought from a local dairy farm with my steer earnings, to raise and sell to assist the next year's livestock show costs. I was that kid that went to school smelling like milk replacer and wood smoke from feeding claves and stoking the furnace every morning before catching the bus.

Dad went to Japan and Thailand in the early '90s as part of an agricultural leadership exchange program. He was introduced to Kobe beef, and the Wagyu breed that Kobe is made from. Dad then got a wild hair too. At the time there were only a handful of Wagyu breeders in the US, he ordered some seaman straws from a Wagyu breeder in California and started A.I.ing his herd with Wygu, to the point now that his entire herd has a strong Wygu influence. His crazy idea turned into some crazy tasty beef, and he and my stepmom have a very busy freezer beef business, started on craigslist, that and word of mouth, they now have standing orders waiting to be filled.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
9/2/16 7:22 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: More car flames coming up! A must admit, this makes me a bit sick to my stomach.

Every now and then, I look to find a Yellowbird engulfed in flames.

All so I can say that the Ruf, the Ruf, the Ruf is on fire.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
9/2/16 8:17 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:

That is awesome. The hardware down the street has chrome bolts and nuts. I know what I'm doing the next time I need cufflinks.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
9/2/16 8:29 p.m.

May you always have cows around.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UberDork
9/2/16 9:31 p.m.

photo BCDBDDE4-EA99-48C0-8882-D01C11D87FFF_zpsgxff11ez.jpg

Odd trade, but the vette for the ramcharger just happened.

ncjay
ncjay SuperDork
9/3/16 10:23 a.m.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
9/3/16 11:19 a.m.

Parked a couple blocks from my house:

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/3/16 12:02 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote: Parked a couple blocks from my house:

The Green Horney lives in Canada?