fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/16/17 11:50 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/16/17 2:44 p.m.

This is called a Gaggle, lots of gliders climbing up the same thermal. This one's sticking one is large in diameter compared to the ones we get here. Imagine sticking a wingtip to the sky and twirling around it like a pinwheel, do it often enough and you don't get dizzy.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/16/17 5:52 p.m.

Fresh meat!

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/16/17 6:11 p.m.

The RX-8 that Mazda should have built!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
1/16/17 8:45 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

That looks really good.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 SuperDork
1/16/17 8:53 p.m.

Muffin's hover mode engaged.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/17/17 12:03 a.m.

You know you've seen this Buick fly.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
1/17/17 7:01 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Fresh meat!

Love it so much. Looked at a black one at the dealership last week once I realized I could go see one in person now. They had a blue RF listed on the website, but it was sold by the time I got there. I've not yet seen the blue in person and I really want to see it. I just can't tell from pictures how it really looks in blue.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/17/17 9:40 a.m.

I really want to love the Fiat/Miata twins. I love the idea of the Abarth Fiat, but I just don't fit in the damn things. I now understand why people have complained about the NA for years saying they don't fit. I could never understand that as they fit me like a glove. I know theoretically the ND has more and better packaged interior space, but damn, to me it feels like you need to be 5'10' or smaller and weight less than 180 to fit. All derivatives of ND are off my potential shopping list unless someone does this to one.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
1/17/17 10:53 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

I haven't gotten to sit in an ND yet, but I am the same with my NA, it just fits me. I have thought about doing that to my NA for fun though for a nice clean look, I think it would ruin the hour plus daily drive...

Or this...

RevRico
RevRico Dork
1/17/17 10:57 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686:

NAs get really really hot when you strip the interior. I'm still going to do it to this one too, but just giving you a word of warning. 1-2 hours wasn't bad, but I was driving barefoot by hour 4.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/17/17 11:34 a.m.

It's even better when you strip the interior, install a big freakin' motor and chase LS7-powered Porsches when it's hot outside. I measured the heel of my driving shoe at 147F using a tire pyrometer. That's with Swain coating on the exhaust, gold foil on the bottom of the tunnel and Cool-It on the top.

But I caught him.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
1/17/17 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner: Have you tried a pair of heat shields?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/17/17 12:02 p.m.

Are these little sticks in the center part of the cage?

Unrelated hotlink:

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/17/17 12:11 p.m.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' Dork
1/17/17 12:16 p.m.
914Driver wrote:

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/17/17 12:17 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Are these little sticks in the center part of the cage? Unrelated hotlink:

That's my car in the picture. By "little sticks", do you mean that piece of 1" square tube? It's supporting the factory dash bar after the factory sheetmetal brace was cut off. There's also one going forward to the firewall. Not part of the cage, it's basically part of the support for the steering column. That's an OLD picture, the cage has evolved since then. I think it's from 2006.

Here's what it looks like under the dash skin in factory form.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/17/17 12:18 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/17/17 12:27 p.m.

Watched a program on PBS called Victoria, this is the 18 year old Queen. Interesting eye colour, light to darker blue.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/17/17 12:29 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: That's my car in the picture. By "little sticks", do you mean that piece of 1" square tube? It's supporting the factory dash bar after the factory sheetmetal brace was cut off. There's also one going forward to the firewall. Not part of the cage, it's basically part of the support for the steering column.

Yep, those. I forgot about the removed center console support.

Thanks.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/17/17 12:35 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Watched a program on PBS called Victoria, this is the 18 year old Queen. Interesting eye colour, light to darker blue.

Is that the impossible girl?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/17/17 12:38 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Watched a program on PBS called Victoria, this is the 18 year old Queen. Interesting eye colour, light to darker blue.

I came across a bag with a bunch of old Canadian coins at my place the other day. The 1900 and 1901 pennies had Queen Victoria on them. That put their age into perspective!

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/17/17 1:09 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I really want to love the Fiat/Miata twins. I love the idea of the Abarth Fiat, but I just don't fit in the damn things. I now understand why people have complained about the NA for years saying they don't fit. I could never understand that as they fit me like a glove. I know theoretically the ND has more and better packaged interior space, but damn, to me it feels like you need to be 5'10' or smaller and weight less than 180 to fit. All derivatives of ND are off my potential shopping list unless someone does this to one.

The ND fit me at 6'4" with a 34" inseam like my NA did with a foam-ectomy. I don't see why a few seat modifications wouldn't improve that a little more.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
1/17/17 1:38 p.m.

In reply to Flight Service:

It's not just the seat, I feel like I have to crouch when I'm in there. The roll hoops feel to be right behind my head, worse than my Boxster where I can actually hit my head on the plastic cover with some regularity. The whole relationship to me, the car, the controls feels wrong in the ND. I am not saying it's a bad car in anyway, it just shows that fitting in a space is an irrationally personal thing at times. I feel like this in an ND.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 HalfDork
1/17/17 1:55 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

After looking into it, that is what I discovered, which is why I'm not doing it on my daily. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n28aMRsMR6c9AJAT6x0NpnAELD2sutrgMPGD8cS4E5qa1yqbDYDYFY8sXuNYlenH