nderwater UltimaDork
1/19/17 8:26 a.m.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/19/17 8:27 a.m.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
1/19/17 8:34 a.m.
Knurled wrote: In reply to 914Driver: What the everloving berk is going on there?? The more I look the more confused I get. Hotlink:

Everyone has a craving now and again. EVERYONE.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
1/19/17 9:14 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
trucke wrote:
sHit, someone put a lot of work int executing that conversion and ruined it (even more) by cutting up a 55 gallon drum rather than spending $50 at Tractor Supply or similar for a couple of mud guards. $58 each
Those aren't cut-up drums. Drums aren't fully corrugated, only in one or two bands, and they are MUCH smaller in diameter. What those look like to me are the metal half-bin things you put around ground-level/under-ground-level windows so dirt doesn't fill in.

I just happened to be in a NAPA parts store yeseterday after seeing this post, and there was a flyer on the counter for semi parts - mud flaps, etc. On that flyer there were steel fenders listed that looked almost identical to the ones on the blue truck and I though "Huh, I guess he didn't cut up drums." Of course, I didn't note the manufacturer and now I can't find them, so here's a pic of something that's not the one but IS still a single axle, full radius semi fender.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/19/17 9:23 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I know theoretically the ND has more and better packaged interior space, but damn, to me it feels like you need to be 5'10' or smaller and weight less than 180 to fit.

I'm 5'-10" exactly and closer to 280 and I fit in an ND RF just about perfectly. It's roomier than my NA, for me. Honestly, given the Corbeau seats and big ass Hard Dog HCDD roll bar in the Manic Miata, the RF felt just like home. More comfortable than an NC, in fact.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
1/19/17 9:52 a.m.

Karacticus
Karacticus HalfDork
1/19/17 10:54 a.m.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' Dork
1/19/17 11:01 a.m.
Karacticus wrote:

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
1/19/17 11:20 a.m.
Huckleberry wrote: Everyone has a craving now and again. EVERYONE.

"we taught a lion to eat tofu"

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
1/19/17 11:52 a.m.
Donebrokeit wrote:

I have never seen a modern mountain bike use a drivetrain on the left side (unless some crazy one off bike).

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
1/19/17 12:05 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
Donebrokeit wrote:
I have never seen a modern mountain bike use a drivetrain on the left side (unless some crazy one off bike).

Pretty sure the image is mirrored.

Unrelated

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 Dork
1/19/17 1:25 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/19/17 1:39 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote:
Donebrokeit wrote:

Usually the writing on the tires isn't backwards either Can't really tell on the downtube, the font is illegible regardless of if you mirror it or not.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
1/19/17 2:04 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:
Donebrokeit wrote:
Usually the writing on the tires isn't backwards either Can't really tell on the downtube, the font is illegible regardless of if you mirror it or not.

A better question is when was the last time you saw someone ride a 6" travel dualie around town for commuting?

And as for the instructions from the self-appointed designer king...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/19/17 3:09 p.m.

Oh yeah, she's a keeper.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/19/17 3:13 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:
Donebrokeit wrote:
A better question is when was the last time you saw someone ride a 6" travel dualie around town for commuting? And as for the instructions from the self-appointed designer king...

If I wanted to see someone commuting on a bike like that, I'd head to downtown Grand Junction and hang out for about 5 minutes. Being such a major mountain bike area, the average bike is skewed heavily towards the high end. But yeah, it's a bit much for a European city center.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
1/19/17 5:13 p.m.

Sorry if it comes close to or crosses the line, but it made me almost snort my drink.

secretariata
secretariata Dork
1/19/17 7:39 p.m.
Donebrokeit wrote: Unrelated
What the heck is he signaling? Hand signals are supposed to be done with the left hand.
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
1/19/17 7:57 p.m.

Hard top, check.

Roll cage, check.

Now, if the hard tops become an publicly available option, will one fit on a Miata? The power-top version is great, but I think rollover protection options will be limited in them.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/19/17 8:00 p.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Hard top, check. Roll cage, check. Now, if the hard tops become an publicly available option, will one fit on a Miata? The power-top version is great, but I think rollover protection options will be limited in them.

Should fit just fine, the cars use the same soft top. Rollover protection isn't looking like it's going to happen on the RF.

Also a two seater with a power hardtop.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/19/17 8:11 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Also a two seater with a power hardtop.

Wow, the 1980s called, they want their graphics back.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/19/17 8:14 p.m.

Speaking of Pro Street... anyone ever notice that it pretty much ended when this happened?

"Polished stainless-steel rollcaged J2000 with 9" between the rear tires and a twin turbo, twin supercharged, Dominator carb'ed small block Chevy... Yep, we're done here, hit the lights."

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
1/19/17 8:14 p.m.

I want one of these to stick on my toolbox.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
1/19/17 9:02 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Speaking of Pro Street... anyone ever notice that it pretty much ended when this happened?

I remember that car. Rick Dobbertin. I've never seen its equal.

Now Mark Stielow really got the ball rolling for Pro-Touring. What was in-between? Or did Pro-Street just slowly die off and then Pro-Touring got going?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/19/17 9:27 p.m.

In reply to SkinnyG:

I seem to recall a lot of people giving credit for the pro touring thing to RJ Gottlieb with Big Red.

I think I'd agree that look may have started here, but I guess not too many people are going full ham with stock car tube frames.

Surely there had to be something between Big Red in 1988 and the Red Devil in 2011.

My favorite pro-touring thing still has to be the Targa Truck though.

Which is currently getting a rebuild with some sensible engine setback.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oCdSFGGk9gxUJCtxaIfSMkBTcTxtSoqZTxspAVFU2v4aKeEKshauGusid8V4HpW9