Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/19/17 9:33 p.m.
secretariata wrote:
Donebrokeit wrote: Unrelated
What the heck is he signaling? Hand signals are supposed to be done with the left hand.

Black power?

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/19/17 10:10 p.m.
SkinnyG wrote: Now Mark Stielow really got the ball rolling for Pro-Touring. What was in-between? Or did Pro-Street just slowly die off and then Pro-Touring got going?

I remember that Car Craft tried to make A/FX happen.

Newsflash: It didn't.

Looking back, I'm not quite sure what it was meant to even be.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UberDork
1/20/17 7:10 a.m.
secretariata wrote:
What the heck is he signaling? Hand signals are supposed to be done with the left hand.

the legal hand signals were designed for use by drivers who only have exterior access for their left arm. In single-seat, open vehicle (like a motorcycle, bicycle, or a belly tank racer) it makes MUCH more sense to simply point left or right with the appropriate arm. Of course, that doesn't mean it's legally correct.

but I think he's just looking over his shoulder at the photog, not actually signalling anything.

I've always wanted to build a tank racer. they just look so suicidal.

Karacticus
Karacticus HalfDork
1/20/17 7:17 a.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/20/17 7:44 a.m.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
1/20/17 7:46 a.m.
Karacticus wrote:

I would like to slap the VP that didn't "OK" that proposal!

Of course it's just a photoshop.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
1/20/17 9:41 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote:
secretariata wrote:
the legal hand signals were designed for use by drivers who only have exterior access for their left arm. In single-seat, open vehicle (like a motorcycle, bicycle, or a belly tank racer) it makes MUCH more sense to simply point left or right with the appropriate arm. Of course, that doesn't mean it's legally correct. but I think he's just looking over his shoulder at the photog, not actually signalling anything. I've always wanted to build a tank racer. they just look so suicidal.

That does look suicidal but I'm pretty sure that the original picture is a Lotus 18, not a tank car.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
1/20/17 10:31 a.m.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
1/20/17 10:31 a.m.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition SuperDork
1/20/17 10:54 a.m.

"And I said to Jochen, 'If you want to win the World Championship you've got more chance with Lotus than with Brabham. If you want to stay alive you've got more chance with Brabham than with Lotus'. It wasn't a bad thing to say; it was a matter of fact. That was what the pattern was, for whatever reason: people did get killed in Lotuses. Maybe Colin (Chapman) took things to the edge a bit — and anyone who drove for Lotus was prepared to go along with that and take it to the edge. And Jochen was prepared to accept that.”

-- Bernie Ecclestone

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
1/20/17 1:30 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
SkinnyG wrote: Now Mark Stielow really got the ball rolling for Pro-Touring. What was in-between? Or did Pro-Street just slowly die off and then Pro-Touring got going?
I remember that Car Craft tried to make A/FX happen. Newsflash: It didn't. Looking back, I'm not quite sure what it was meant to even be.

Back in the seventies, we did the best we could with what was available. It was a sad time.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
1/20/17 4:26 p.m.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
1/20/17 4:26 p.m.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
1/20/17 4:27 p.m.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/20/17 4:35 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Back in the seventies, we did the best we could with what was available. It was a sad time.

A/FX was like '89 or '91 or something. I think it was, Pro Street with post-musclecar vehicles, without the tubs in the back, or the pretense of big horsepower (even if just theoretical). Basically a regular rear drive blandmobile with skinnies on the front and pinstripes like someone used a Spirograph while dropping acid.

daeman
daeman Dork
1/20/17 4:38 p.m.

In reply to etifosi:

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/21/17 7:01 a.m.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
1/21/17 8:17 a.m.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
1/21/17 8:33 a.m.

Died this day, 1950.

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/21/17 12:14 p.m.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/21/17 1:36 p.m.

What I done did today:

Oktavia dragged Kyouko around. (If you're a certain kind of dork, that is mildly amusing)

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
1/21/17 5:09 p.m.
etifosi wrote: Died this day, 1950.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/21/17 5:23 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/22/17 7:29 a.m.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork