Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/31/17 11:44 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote:
Apexcarver wrote: Here's my old book(ish) frame.
So, I presume that was welded up by you, or someone very much like you, so I have a question- Did you have to manage pulling during welding? I have a vision for a double tube frame I'd like to build for a Model A Ford hot rod, and one of my concerns is how hard its going to be to keep it straight and square during the welding process.

I did not weld up this frame, so I can't give you any secret insider tips. I'll let someone with more experience answer the question.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/31/17 12:09 p.m.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/31/17 12:20 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: IIRC, Champion book dimensions are Caterham/Westie dimensions. It's the internet 442 frames that are huge. Here's my old book(ish) frame.

I lifted the following from LocostUSA here http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=12142&start=15

Thread said: One of the main differences other than overall size (a "book" Locost is about 3" wider than a Caterham S3 and about 1" narrower than a Caterham SV: a "book" Locost is about 4.75" longer in wheelbase than a Caterham S3 and about 1.5" longer than a Caterham SV

also here http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6561

in fact....

Keith Tanner said: One of the main differences other than overall size (a "book" Locost is about 3" wider than a Caterham S3 and about 1" narrower than a Caterham SV: The Locost chassis is already oversized for a Seven

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/lo-cost-101-how-do-i-make-a-cool-caterham-replica/17266/page2/

Plus skinnyG with "3". The "book" size is 3" wider than a Lotus or S3 Caterham, although narrower than a Caterham SV (SVelte?)"

My basic plan is to try to go to the smallest "factory" Caterham/Lotus dimensions that I can with a K-series. Narrower helps in autocross...

Still in beginning phases of the plan, been thinking about it for years (as you can see in that thread from 2010), but finally have an ability to do it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/31/17 12:32 p.m.

My bad Apparently I do not recall correctly. I will stand by my assertion that a 442 is huge.

I don't know if you want to go as narrow as an original. If it's 3" narrower down the passenger's compartment than a Locost, then you're not really going to have room for a seat. Just pads on the floor and the bulkhead. I'll have to check our Westfield, I don't think it was narrower than the Locost but I suppose it could have been. You do want a wider front track than the S3 Lotus, even Caterham has abandoned the original.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/31/17 12:36 p.m.

Why did I sell that car???

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
1/31/17 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
1/31/17 1:41 p.m.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
1/31/17 1:59 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Yeah, I plan to beadseat the chassis like a formula car. (as well as a few other tidbits, exploring the rules a bit)

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/31/17 6:28 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/31/17 6:32 p.m.

I'm just going to leave this here. Then I'm gonna drive it home. FM Fox Racing suspension, FM Little Big Brakes, 17x9 6ULs and 235/40-17 S-drives. I may not bring it back.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
1/31/17 6:33 p.m.

I was modded! Sorry! It was the se7en reference that got me.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
1/31/17 6:41 p.m.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/31/17 6:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I'm just going to leave this here. Then I'm gonna drive it home. FM Fox Racing suspension, FM Little Big Brakes, 17x9 6ULs and 235/40-17 S-drives. I may not bring it back.

Your temp tag expires the same day my red Mazda's temp tag expires.

I'd post a picture of it but I've already posted pretty much all of them in this thread, so I did a GIS for "RX-7 rallycross alabama"

Okay, that's me in the car that I just scrapped in order to make room for the car I have temp tags on. Spooky.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
1/31/17 7:04 p.m.

This also came up.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
1/31/17 7:14 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
SkinnyG wrote: This is #2:
How is progress looking on that one? You are building it to more Caterham/lotus dimensions rather than book dimensions, right? Been following you for awhile, bought a house and a welder last year and am getting ready to start one myself (as soon as I get the current project moving under its own power). Been starting to gather information on the CSR chassis to start from that design. (looking to do independent rear and to cherry pick the smallest production 7 for a K-series powered DM build)

Zero progress in a number of years now.

The V8 Firefly came home, so the 7 got hung from the ceiling. The Firefly ~should~ be done this summer, then I'll be back at 7#2.

7#2 is dimensionally correct to a Lotus Series 2, or the smaller of the Caterhams. I have a Caterham scuttle, Caterham doors and top, and an original Lotus 7 windshield for it. It will be 2.0L Duratec, and possibly still stick axle.

Picture because Lotus:

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/31/17 10:19 p.m.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/31/17 10:33 p.m.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/31/17 11:45 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Why did I sell that car???

I warned you about that...

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
2/1/17 7:37 a.m.
Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
2/1/17 7:43 a.m.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
2/1/17 8:17 a.m.

I liked the diffused lighting when I came out of work last week so I snapped a pic of my car.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/1/17 8:21 a.m.

There's a house I drive by on my way to work that has a 1980-ish Malibu wagon, two door. It's a chop and has this proportion:

Obviously this isn't it.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
2/1/17 11:34 a.m.
Indy-Guy wrote:

That looks like one of my old Aurora Thunderjet HO Slot Cars...

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
2/1/17 12:06 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
2/1/17 12:35 p.m.
fanfoy wrote:

Now, are they camping or are they broken and waiting for rescue?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QMfbD0LoXlhvJibRllIsW4lNIki4v6ETeBEdcucVMypk8S7zhQbAXIh5Ecy4MTgF