EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Dork
1/27/09 3:57 p.m.

You can eat it on a tater, you can have it now or later. Cheese with bacon is the bomb, just ask your cardiologist.

I suck at rhymes.

P71
P71 HalfDork
1/27/09 4:05 p.m.

Pepperjack is the E36 M3.

Also Tillamook Extra Sharp Cheddar is

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/27/09 4:05 p.m.

Cheese and bacon...... mmmmmmm

http://foodproof.com/photos/full/bacon-cheese-roll-1290

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/27/09 4:08 p.m.

Bacon, Eggs, Potatoes, and Cheese... the perfect breakfast.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
1/27/09 4:09 p.m.

I would kill for cheese if need be. . . . I like cheese. I'd give up my wife for cheese. I'd give up my dog for cheese. I'd give up my Hyundai and drive a BMW for cheese. . .Ok that last part was a lie. But I do love cheese.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/27/09 4:10 p.m.

I've got friends who make goat cheese. Lots of varieties and it all rocks!

Cow cheese, of course, is awesome too. Muenster is among my favourites. Smoked Gouda! Mmmm...

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
1/27/09 4:11 p.m.

"Everyone knows the moon is made of cheese." - Wallace

"..." - Gromit

http://www.wallaceandgromit.com/films/granddayout/

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/27/09 4:18 p.m.

When it comes to cheese, I will quote my friend Margie before she gets a chance to do it herself:

"Cheese never goes bad, it just turns into a different kind of cheese."

jg

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/27/09 4:20 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Bacon, Eggs, Potatoes, and Cheese... the perfect breakfast meal.

Fixed

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
1/27/09 6:03 p.m.

my favorite is Manchego...it's from Spain...it's goat cheese...excellente!

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
1/27/09 6:40 p.m.

Parmigiano Reggiano is definitely my most-used. At around $15/lb it's not cheap, but a little goes a long way. One of my favorite after-work meals is bowtie pasta tossed with olive oil, torn fresh basil, cracked pepper, olives or capers, and parm. Its nutty, rich flavor improves just about everything it touches. I like to shave it and eat it with apples and pears.

I try to eat healthy most of the time, but man, a slab of Roquefort on a thick ribeye grilled medium rare... Call the mortuary because I'm going to heaven.

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
1/27/09 6:48 p.m.

Cheese makes me smile

Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
1/27/09 6:49 p.m.

Only cheese I can tolerate is feta, and not too often. Damn, 'cuz I really love me some sharp old cheddar, or good stilton.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/27/09 7:38 p.m.

Favorites: sharp cheddar, pepper jack, provolone. Swiss is good once in a while. I also like blue cheese dressing but not blue cheese by itself. I cannot stand brie; there is something fundamentally wrong with runny cheese. Put it back till it's done, dammit!

alex
alex Reader
1/27/09 7:56 p.m.

The runnier and stinkier the better!

I bought a small wheel of Camembert once in the summer, came back to my then-un-air-conditioned apartment and set it on the counter, then went out for the rest of the night. Came back the next morning and I couldn't believe the smell. Out of curiosity, I tried a bit. What's the worst that can happen, get a little sick? It was fantastic! Pungent, runny, a little ammoniac, nutty, creamy, rich... Heaven. Cheese heaven. I ate the whole thing slathered luridly on a baguette, standing in my kitchen.

Best domestic cheese I've found: Cypress Grove's Humboldt Fog, which, I'll admit sounds like a strain of high end weed. But it's a gorgeous balance of tang and richness, with a layer of ash shot down the center. Consistently excellent cheese.

I have to say I don't have much of a taste for really ammoniac blues, but I do like a pungent soft creamy cheese.

Mitchell has it right, though: real Reggiano Parmigiano is always stupendous. There's a reason Batali calls it the 'indesputed King of cheeses.' Although sometimes the Prince, Pecorino Romano, makes a pass at the throne. At least that's how it plays out in the Cheese Kingdom in my head. (The Queen, for those of you playing at home, is fresh Mozzarella di Bufala. So soft, subtle and velvety...)

Oh, and one more bit of cheese rambling: Pecorino Romano pairs alarmingly well with Schlitz in a can. If I hadn't tasted it with my own mouth, I would have never believed it, trust me.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
1/27/09 8:01 p.m.

Edam, Gouda, my favorites. The real thing from The Netherlands (or the land that was once known as The Netherlands), not the stuff from Wisconsin, which is not entirely unlike Edam or Gouda.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
1/27/09 9:23 p.m.

Alex, the Humbolt Fog sounds a bit like Morbier. Morbier was good, but it was so strong that I couldn't really find anything to eat it with other than bread. Not that this is a bad thing, a whole fresh baguette, a few strong cheeses, a glass of rich cabernet, and a book is a hard meal to beat. It's one that can be eaten slowly, as cheese becomes so much more flavorful as its temperature rises.

Double gloucester and Ossau-Iraty (I can never remember its real name, I think this is the brand) are some more of my favorites.

This thread makes me realize that I haven't bought any "good" cheeses in quite a while, other than Parmigiano. Just another one of those food hobbies that adds up quick (and I have too many of those as it is...)

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago Reader
1/27/09 9:37 p.m.

I have four kinds of cheese in my fridge. I am proud of myself.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
1/27/09 10:09 p.m.

I do the Atkins thing, so I have 8 kinds of cheese in my fridge. Stinky, runny, hard, soft...I cover the gamut.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
1/27/09 11:28 p.m.

Any cheese is good cheese. Period.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg Dork
1/27/09 11:37 p.m.

I also vote for Stilton, but there are several others i love including a very sharp cheddar, blue castello, brie, camembert, and the list goes on.

I buy from this site

http://www.cheesesupply.com/

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
1/28/09 12:05 a.m.

Thankfully there are two really good places to get cheese in town. They will let you try anything before you buy it, and will cut off as much or as little off the wheel as you want. There are a lot of other great places still that have a good cheese selection, but both of these places have a really good selection of beer and wine.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nHtAAy8rPPgBTGMXIp82nYMKQE0xXUrt2NxkFkylNks18pgC82c3jnZqjJdQXFmZ