1 2
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/28/23 3:34 p.m.

SWMBO   Started canning 3 weeks ago.  The cost of canning jars is up over $2.00 each.   Then there is all the rest such as  cucumbers vinegar , Dill, salt, garlic, clove, and whatever else she puts n that makes her pickles addictive. So far she's  made over 5 dozen qt.  jars.   She has 3dozen + 1 left.   The cucumbers alone have cost her $150.   Corn is $10 a dozen ears. ( and this is where corn is grown.  Tens of thousands of acres. 
  Apple butter a dozen qt  jars. Apple jelly 1 dozen pint jars,  ( the apple crop is just starting to come in ). That's all free, ignoring my labor.  The cost of bait apples, fertilizer.  Etc.   It's an off year so we will only get maybe 8 dozen jars of applesauce. 
   Apple slices for pies?   5 gallon bags in the freezer. A gallon bag makes about 4-5 pies. 
    She canned 10 qts Venison stew for her brother. And in exchange we got 6 packages of Walleye and perch.   ( can't tell you how great that is.  Absolutely  bone free). 
  So far she's probably put 20 hours a week in canning. ( on top of her 40 hr job) 

matthewmcl
matthewmcl Dork
8/28/23 4:29 p.m.

Careful, she might start looking at how much time and money project cars take.

Unless, of course, you are trying to establish parity...

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/28/23 4:30 p.m.

French, I don't know about canning, but that corn price really caught my attention. It's 25-33 cents per ear here in Texas (yesterday when I was at the stores), and we aren't exactly corn country. I wonder if it's different quality corn or what. 

It seems that canning is a dying craft. All the old ladies who used to do it when I was a kid have passed on and none of the younger generations have taken up the process. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
8/28/23 4:32 p.m.

This bunch is so enamored of statistics....  I'd love to see a graph showing percentage of people who can vs. age.  I bet that would tell a story!

My parents canned some.  My wife has canned cucumbers a few times in the last ten years.  We have a neighbor that does a fair bit of canning.  She's about our age, that is, old enough to have attained a fair measure of wisdom. laugh

I suspect this thread will soon swell with input from all the people on here who participate in the art of canning foodstuffs.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/28/23 4:35 p.m.

As predicted...we're canning peaches tonight :) Weirdly, western Colorado grows really tasty peaches and we're right in the middle of the season. Also just pulled some nectarines out of the dehydrator - that is one seriously tasty snack.

Fresh sweet corn in the grocery stores is (I think) about $6/dozen. It's probably 1/3 that if you buy it from the back of a truck by the side of the road. Also weirdly, there is a decent corn area close to here. Not as good as the good peaches and cream stuff from Ontario, but that's not surprising.

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
8/28/23 4:41 p.m.

If you are making your own pickles, why aren't you growing them yourself?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones SuperDork
8/28/23 4:45 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Buy a new EV. That's at least $7500 tax credit more if your state or community add to it!!  
  Install solar panels!  Another $7500 federal tax credit plus no electric bill again. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
8/28/23 5:08 p.m.
frenchyd said:

The cost of canning jars is up over $2.00 each.  

Completely ignoring the fact that you are buying the produce you are canning, if you are paying $2 per jar you are simply just shopping stupid.  I bought three 6packs of Ball half gallon jars for $10.99 a pack last week. I bought a couple 12packs of pint jars for $9.99 same day. Fleet Farm and Menards both run sales every other week all of the different jar sizes. Replacement lids and bands are under 50cents a jar for both regular mouth and wide mouth.

If you are giving away canned goods and not asking for the jars back you don't get to complain about the cost of canning supplies.  Anyone who actually cans more than just a dozen jars of salsa understands the cost of the jars and not to give them out if you don't expect them back.

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
8/28/23 5:17 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

French, I don't know about canning, but that corn price really caught my attention. It's 25-33 cents per ear here in Texas (yesterday when I was at the stores), and we aren't exactly corn country. I wonder if it's different quality corn or what. 

It seems that canning is a dying craft. All the old ladies who used to do it when I was a kid have passed on and none of the younger generations have taken up the process. 

I disagree, I think canning is more popular now than its been in years. Certainly saw a spike during COVID when home gardening gained in popularity.  I find it rises and falls in popularity every few years.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
8/28/23 5:28 p.m.

Front page of Fleet Farm's ad this week Frenchy. There is 3 Fleet Farm stores within 20 miles from the city listed in your bio.  I know Menards is up your way and there's probably a Farm&Fleet or Tractor Supply in your neck of the woods too.  You have no excuse to be paying $2 a jar.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/28/23 5:33 p.m.

The history of the Ball Corporation is kinda wild. The Supreme Court was involved at one point, and they started making satellites in the 60s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_Corporation

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/28/23 9:19 p.m.

My wife's grandmother grew up in the country - rural Alabama.  Giant garden and a ton of canning.

This shelf was floor to ceiling and three jars deep.  She canned into her 80's this was all considered normal.  

If those shelves let loose it's crush her to death as her bed was right there.  

johndej
johndej SuperDork
8/28/23 9:54 p.m.

I don't know how it compares to historical costs but I certainly know a ton of folks who have at least dabbled in canning they're own home grown products over the past couple of pandemic years. My brother flipped around 100 bell jar and lids from an estate sale this time last summer. Bought for like $5 and sold for $50 by the end of the day. That left a few friends and family peeved that would have happily paid that much at the time.

Anecdotaly cast iron also seeing a resurgence.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/29/23 11:46 a.m.
matthewmcl said:

Careful, she might start looking at how much time and money project cars take.

Unless, of course, you are trying to establish parity...

No just admiration of her hard work and then she gives it all away.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/29/23 11:49 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Front page of Fleet Farm's ad this week Frenchy. There is 3 Fleet Farm stores within 20 miles from the city listed in your bio.  I know Menards is up your way and there's probably a Farm&Fleet or Tractor Supply in your neck of the woods too.  You have no excuse to be paying $2 a jar.

Last year we shopped all over looking for them. ( yes fleet farm and Menards).   Eventually found  in a long Lake hardware store. 
    This year we went straight there without shopping.  Oops!   

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/29/23 11:55 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

As predicted...we're canning peaches tonight :) Weirdly, western Colorado grows really tasty peaches and we're right in the middle of the season. Also just pulled some nectarines out of the dehydrator - that is one seriously tasty snack.

Fresh sweet corn in the grocery stores is (I think) about $6/dozen. It's probably 1/3 that if you buy it from the back of a truck by the side of the road. Also weirdly, there is a decent corn area close to here. Not as good as the good peaches and cream stuff from Ontario, but that's not surprising.

So far she's bought 6 cases of Colorado peaches.  Canned them all too. She eagerly awaits them coming in season. 
but they were $39.99 a case. Ouch!  
  Am I going to have to drive to Colorado for peaches now?   

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/29/23 11:57 a.m.
RacetruckRon said:
frenchyd said:

The cost of canning jars is up over $2.00 each.  

Completely ignoring the fact that you are buying the produce you are canning, if you are paying $2 per jar you are simply just shopping stupid.  I bought three 6packs of Ball half gallon jars for $10.99 a pack last week. I bought a couple 12packs of pint jars for $9.99 same day. Fleet Farm and Menards both run sales every other week all of the different jar sizes. Replacement lids and bands are under 50cents a jar for both regular mouth and wide mouth.

If you are giving away canned goods and not asking for the jars back you don't get to complain about the cost of canning supplies.  Anyone who actually cans more than just a dozen jars of salsa understands the cost of the jars and not to give them out if you don't expect them back.

Oh, she asks for them back!  But kids!!! Short memory. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/29/23 12:02 p.m.

Unless you are brand new to canning, you should not be paying for glass. Or screw lids. The only hardware cost should only be seal lids. 

As for $10/dozen, they are on drugs. We just got a dozen ears of corn in Michigan for $4. 

Still, canning means preserving the extra, meaning you grow it. I've only canned pickled green tomato's and jellies from the backyard fruit. Why can food that costs the same in December fresh as it does now in the market?  Lots of effort for zero gain. 

IMHO, the only other thing you should spend money on is pectin, sugar, salt, vinegar, and spices.

Im hoping that our peach crop at home is big enough to can some into jam. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/29/23 12:03 p.m.

We buy from one particular farmer and pay slightly over market because his corn is so darn good. Grocery store is cheaper.  But not as fresh or tasty.   
 It's run by his sons to pay for college.  They work an hour or so picking then sell for 4 hours. Doing that Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday  for the month of August  it pays their tuition and etc for a year!! 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/29/23 12:04 p.m.
frenchyd said:
Keith Tanner said:

So far she's bought 6 cases of Colorado peaches.  Canned them all too. She eagerly awaits them coming in season. 
but they were $39.99 a case. Ouch!  
  Am I going to have to drive to Colorado for peaches now?   

Get local fruit. A case of Michigan peaches is closer to $15 right now. Importing the stuff being canned is not the way to do it. 

My mom cans every year, too. But it's limited to what they grow in the back yard. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/29/23 12:06 p.m.
frenchyd said:

We buy from one particular farmer and pay slightly over market because his corn is so darn good. Grocery store is cheaper.  But not as fresh or tasty.   
 It's run by his sons to pay for college.  They work an hour or so picking then sell for 4 hours. Doing that Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday  for the month of August  it pays their tuition and etc for a year!! 

So you justify paying way too much, and then complain about it?  I don't get it. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
8/29/23 12:32 p.m.

$10 a dozen for sweet corn is just nutty, it's $5-6 a dozen at the farmers markets and the locals that camp out at the gas stations. In a 20'x40' plot I grew 800 ears of sweet corn this year for less than $35 in seed and fertilizer.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
8/30/23 10:02 a.m.
alfadriver said:
frenchyd said:

So you justify paying way too much, and then complain about it?  I don't get it. 

Really?  You've never heard of preference? She cans Colorado peaches because we prefer the taste. 
   A particular corn because it tastes better than the cheaper stuff.  
   Yes it turns out I paid too much for Ball canning jars and that's on me.  Last year we went everyplace looking for them.  The only place we found a few was at an antique store. @$5 ea  when we discovered the hardware store in Long Lake had a supply.  
     I realize that there can be cheaper sources. Especially in More rural areas. Or from your own garden.  But since we aren't allowed those  and we both are working long days so don't have the time  to maintain a garden. 
 I'm happy to pay the prices asked.  Actually I'm glad farmers are getting rewarded for their work. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic Dork
8/30/23 10:37 a.m.

Not a canner but I sure like eating it. I'm especially grateful that they make these canning jar racks which make the bestest 10" subwoofer grill guards.

Katie Wilson
Katie Wilson Advertising Coordinator
8/31/23 11:10 a.m.

I went on a crazy canning spree when I was growing cucumbers. With the move this spring-summer we've been too busy to get into it. I'm hoping once we finish getting settled into the new house I can get back at it. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W1E9pC3oyedSXqbDyEQ2Q5sKZ25y5Ugr7nPY5ZkHmcN0k7NHVz0WSBKmImFfWvDz