1 2
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
12/27/23 1:36 a.m.

If you made it full scale, would you be able to keep the "tail" that connects the two words on either "RAM" or "VAN"?  I would then epoxy the two words together before mounting the emblems.  (I'm worried about the words being misaligned after I mount them)  I also don't yet know if there are any holes to accomodate pegs for the square emblem that is already on my doors with the callout for the weight class of the van, and I want every opportunity to be able to hide them if find them under that emblem.

I have no way of knowing how deep the recess is on the original emblem, but in the crappy photo I have of the one on the red van, I can still tell it appears to throw a shadow.  (Which is the only way I could tell it is recessed)   Maybe 2mm deep?   I can more easily fill the recess cleanly than I can make it deeper once it is in my grubby mitts.   I haven't decided what to use to add the color to the recess, but it will likely be paint, if I can't find vinyl to match my existing paint.  I would like the edge to be noticeable no matter what I use, and around 2mm should do the trick.

chandler
chandler MegaDork
12/27/23 10:27 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself :

Question.

Due to the print size of my bed, I can either print it at 88% scale in one piece (RAM would be about 5.5" long), or I can separate RAM and VAN into two pieces and hit your 5 11/16" measurement for the RAM part. What's your preference?

Also, the recessed area (for your color) is 1mm (0.040") deep. I can make that any depth you want, just let me know if you want something deeper.

I'll print this in black, but the rendering looks better in grey :)

Wow, nailed it

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
12/27/23 1:41 p.m.

This thread is relevant to my interests! 

I've been thinking about doing custom emblems for my Power Wagon for a while. When I bought the truck, they looked like this:

I have since removed the 90's V8 Magnum badges (although they are accurate now!) and nature has removed much of the chrome from the factory Power Wagon 150 badges, so they are looking kind of junky. Was thinking of getting a friend with a 3D printer to do ones that say "Power Laggin' 150" in the 70's font to match its BangShift project truck name, just for fun. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/28/23 5:46 p.m.

Changes made, but my printer demanded a firmware update and now refuses to print. Ask me about how much I love my Ankermake :) 

I'll get it figured out.

12/28/23 6:26 p.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/30/23 9:08 p.m.

To continue this conversation in public - I got the Anker going again, and we have the first run. I measured from the wrong spot so it's too big, so I'll be able to print it as one piece after all. But here's the extended version. Don't mind the surface blemishes, that was from some old filament with too much moisture and I've dried it now.

7/17/24 5:33 p.m.

Took the least best pair and played around a little with them.  

I think I like how they are going to turn out.  (Test set on Dajiban instead of DogeVan)

7/17/24 5:48 p.m.

Huge thanks to Keith for printing these (months ago)

Just finally got around to messing with them.

Recon1342
Recon1342 UltraDork
7/18/24 11:14 a.m.

I love GRM!

3d printed emblems? Check.

Making a set to replicate another one of Mother Mopar's endless oddballs? Check.

Painting and finishing the test piece and throwing it on the spare van? Check.

7/19/24 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Recon1342 :

It's how I roll.   

The "Spare Van" has a thread of its own, actually.   If I can stop driving it long enough, it will get dropped on some sweet eight spoke Superlite variants I bought from Chandler, my wheel hoarding hero.

Noddaz
Noddaz PowerDork
7/19/24 1:46 p.m.

I will leave this here.

Ram emblem on the center caps.

Not the critter, the word Ram

7/19/24 2:37 p.m.

In reply to Noddaz :

I'm thinking "Dodgy" 

1 2