1 2 3
Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
2/21/24 9:47 p.m.

I do - I drive a Chevrolet Silverado so I don't just take any spot.  I also park like these guys - Chicago Midway Airport remote parking garage.  

Notice how they hug the one side to protect from door dings (I do this). I'll drive up to a higher level to find an end spot.

Do you overthink it?

Datsun240ZGuy
Datsun240ZGuy MegaDork
2/21/24 9:48 p.m.

This guys day is going to suck.

Stampie
Stampie MegaDork
2/21/24 9:52 p.m.

In reply to Datsun240ZGuy :

It's not overthinking if it's correct.

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/21/24 9:57 p.m.

What Stampie said.   Mrs Frog is even more serious about it.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
2/22/24 12:11 a.m.
Datsun240ZGuy said:

Notice how they hug the one side to protect from door dings (I do this). I'll drive up to a higher level to find an end spot.

Do you overthink it?

A parking spot so awesome I had to take a picture of it. :)

But yes.  Lacking a spot like the above, an end is best, especially if it's a right-hand end.  All cars have drivers, only some have passengers, so a right-hand end is less likely to involve door dings.  Passenger side of a sliding door minivan is good too.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/22/24 1:21 a.m.

Oh, yeah, totally, gotta get the end spot–and then creep the car as far over as possible. (You saw me parking the Miata the other day, didn’t you?)

David S. Wallens
2/22/24 1:23 a.m.

And even if it’s not my car. (I admit, could have gotten the front a bit closer to the grass.)

David S. Wallens
2/22/24 1:26 a.m.

Parking at a rest area:

David S. Wallens
2/22/24 1:27 a.m.

So, yeah, I’m (also) that guy.

David S. Wallens
2/22/24 1:28 a.m.

Not me but a kindred spirit:

David S. Wallens
2/22/24 1:29 a.m.

Wait, two more: Check out those gaps. 

90BuickCentury
90BuickCentury Reader
2/22/24 7:16 a.m.

In reply to BhambriRohunu :

But can you park a canoe properly? What knot do you tie to secure it to the shore?

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
2/22/24 7:39 a.m.

As a person that puts thought into parking, i think we start a bad parking pics thread.  My buddy and i have been shooting each other pics of bad parking since cel phones shot pics. 

a favorite. Deleted diesel, left running and stinking the hell out of the whole area, sloppily parked in a handicapped spot by an able bodied douchebag in front of STARBUCKS! Yeah it was so important that he got his latte that parking like this was somehow necessary. 

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
2/22/24 7:52 a.m.

Drive an E350, have 7 kids.  I do what I can to put the right side to a curb or open spots to make unloading/loading easier and safer.  I will also back into spots to make my exit easier as well.  

When I roll in the Ranger, I try to make sure I can pull through since my clutch likes to be iffy.  

No, you aren't overthinking it.  If your concern is people dinging your door, then I'm onboard.  Now, if you start splitting spots and parking on the line, then you're doing it wrong.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/22/24 7:55 a.m.

It depends on what I'm driving, otherwise I'm DatsunGuy.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
2/22/24 8:19 a.m.

I'm not the Corvette guy taking two spots in the back of the lot but I'm also not trying to fight the crowd at the front door.  Armada is big enough to need extra room to avoid inconsiderate people, Mustang has long doors and a care about door dings, both get parked at the back of the lot.  I'm not afraid to walk and extra 50 yards and it saves time looking for a closer spot.  Other considerations, can I escape in event of gang violence, what if there is a hot brown emergency and I need to get home fast, what door is closest to what I need and will be faster to check out.  If I get in my car and there is a robber in the back seat because I never lock my car can I take off fast enough and drive crazy enough to make him want to jump out, if I can't pull out fast enough he may get me.  Speaking of pulling out fast enough seven kids is a lot of kids jmabarone, four is enough for me.  All the cool cars part at the back of the lot and I have met a few auto enthusiast our there.  If the lot or ramp is full and we will all be leaving at the same time I back in, either way you need to back up sooner or later, backing into a known space is better than into traffic or slow old people.   

TLDR; No I never give parking a second thought

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/22/24 8:26 a.m.

I over think it because my parents lease cars and now I do. I also used to always back in my vehicles now with kids and SUV I always have to front it, to get at all the sh@t in the trunk.

David S. Wallens
2/22/24 8:31 a.m.

Somewhere there has to be a sniglet for this: curb on both sides!

11GTCS
11GTCS SuperDork
2/22/24 8:37 a.m.

I'm in full agreement here and I'm proud to share that Mrs. 11GTCS shares my obsession with parking and willingly parks farther out in the lot usually in a spot next to one of the islands.  She says "extra steps!" 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
2/22/24 8:42 a.m.

I like the spot next to a cart corral, protected on one side and out far enough that those adverse to extra steps don't go there.   Parking next to sliding door cars is a wild card, 50% less doors to come at you but is it really safer?

I mentioned parking next to the furthest out corral to a friend and he gasped as if the cart would get out and start ramming his car.

Summer is coming so now I have to determine which car I drive on days that I stop at the gym on the way home.  The lot is always full and tight, I will not be driving the Mustang there or I will drive 10 miles out of my way to the other gym that has a bigger lot.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/22/24 9:07 a.m.

Not really, I just try to park very far away. Although many times if we are going to a show/comedy club/Costco, we take the Mazda and not the BRZ. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
2/22/24 9:13 a.m.

If I am driving something nice, yes.  If its an appliance, nope.  Closest spot/first spot I see is fine.

One of the things I hated about having nice/newer cars was the stress of worrying about door dings.  

jgrewe
jgrewe Dork
2/22/24 9:25 a.m.

Am I the only one that looks at the drainage slope built into the lot? No carts rolling into my vehicles when I'm at the top of the lot.

jmabarone
jmabarone HalfDork
2/22/24 9:27 a.m.

I also follow the FL parking rule of finding shade if/when possible.  

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
2/22/24 9:55 a.m.

I drive a truck so..

Find a spot big enough, surrounded by spots where the person parking has actually managed to get their car into the center of the parking space (this seems to be nothing short of a miracle), not hugging one side or the other so they bash the door of their E36 M3box into my paint.

Begin to back into spot.

Honk horn at idiot trying to cut behind me because they don't know how to drive properly.

Back up anyway and make them get out of my way.

Fold in mirrors. 

Lock truck and leave.

Sometimes I take a picture for insurance purposes if I'm stuck with a spot where a superparent has parked their kidmobile right on the line and little Karen or Chad will open the door into my vehicle.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iuJOr6ykzuoku25SABKceDAIDzLxmEAdFM79eT3drfbFFttmRccwYwjlv5aTjndE