1 2
jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/5/11 1:10 p.m.

I will be adding electric dog fence to my new house. My plan is to do the instal myself on my .6 acre property.
Does anyone here have tips, tricks, or testamony to share?

I am thinking about this system:
http://www.innotek.net/Products/In-Ground-Fences/Rechargeable-in-ground-pet-fencing.aspx

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
7/5/11 1:18 p.m.

From personal experience and the experience of friends, I came to the conclusion that the DYI fences generally don't work. I bought an Invisible Fence system. It has worked for 3 different dogs. I have no experience with the one you link to, just stating the experience I do have.
One thing I can say with a lot of confidence is that with at least some dogs, training is everything. You have to take the time to train them to know the boundries. If not, they just blast through. I know at least a dozen people who have tried the DYI fences and then bought the Invisible Fence. I'm currently trying to talk my neighbor into it, because his boxer keeps getting out of his electric fence and coming over to our house.
I don't even put the collar on my dog anymore. He's 2-1/2 years old, very engergetic. He'll be chasing a rabbitt at full bore and will slam on the brakes just before the fence. He never even thinks about trying to get out.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
7/5/11 1:19 p.m.

As a livestock owner, I hate the blasted things. Dogs running after my livestock frequently have gotten out through those electric dog fences. Useless things.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
7/5/11 1:43 p.m.

I use a PetSafe brand (ala Lowes) inground fence to keep our Houdini mutt in the back yard. It's worked well for years. training really is the key part. Also, I specifically buried the wire at the base of our privacy fence. It was a huge deterrent because the dog wouldn't spend the time required to dig out in the shock zone. I have heard from more than one user that on open ground it's easy for a dog to cross one when they really want to, and then it becomes a deterrent to them coming back IN the yard.

Again, training, training, training.

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
7/5/11 1:46 p.m.

Our house came with a PetSafe system already installed, we just had to buy a collar.

http://www.petsafe.net/Products/Fencing/In-Ground-Fences/Deluxe-In-Ground-Fence.aspx

So while i didnt have to do the install, you can rent machines that will bury the wire without having to manually dig a trench or anything.

http://eztrench.com/wire-cable-installers.html

EDIT- our dog (best dog ever, a rescued mutt) learned within 1-2 years and now can go outside without her collar and chase rabbits or whatever but she knows where to stop! We tried a small collar at first but it didn't have enough kick so we stepped up to the adjustable model which got her attention a little better!

http://www.petsafe.net/Products/Fencing/Collars/Super-Receiver.aspx

DBL EDIT - we're on 1.5 acres out in the country with no hard fences in sight.

failboat
failboat Reader
7/5/11 2:04 p.m.

We bought a house w/ an electric fence. Well, I should say the previous owners left the wiring for the fence in the ground and took the box that would provide power to said fence. I believe its Invisible Fence brand.

So far we havent too interested in using it or trying it with our dogs. Wife has some sort of moral issue with it, the other thing is we would rather have an actual fence to help keep the neighbors animals out of our backyard. We dont need a rooster or another dog wandering in and being attacked by our dogs. They are not the friendliest towards strangers or intruders, and will give chase.

What says the community? Is it worth trying? It would be A LOT easier to get this system up and running than installing a huge fence (hah, you think she's going to help me put up the fence?!) I just dont think its such a good idea knowing our dogs personalities.

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
7/5/11 2:07 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: I have heard from more than one user that on open ground it's easy for a dog to cross one when they really want to, and then it becomes a deterrent to them coming back IN the yard.

I've seen it first hand more than once. Even the best trained dog occasionally does something stupid, like take off after a squirrel. They go out at high speed and try to walk back in.

There's the wireless distance-based ones, but I don't know anything about them other than that they exist. Seems like the "running past the shock zone" problem would be solved as I don't believe there's a "safe" zone farther away. But it seems like it would open up a whole different set of issues.

Personally, I don't like either option as the sole restraint for an otherwise unsupervised dog, so our back yard is fenced. I am thinking about doing the buried wire bit for the front yard as an aid for when we're out there hanging out, but not specifically working with the dog.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
7/5/11 2:20 p.m.
keethrax wrote:
ultraclyde wrote: I have heard from more than one user that on open ground it's easy for a dog to cross one when they really want to, and then it becomes a deterrent to them coming back IN the yard.
I've seen it first hand more than once. Even the best trained dog occasionally does something stupid, like take off after a squirrel. They go out at high speed and try to walk back in.

This situation is a result of the dog not being trained properly. My three dogs have NEVER gotten out of our fence. But then, the Invisible Fence boarder is much wider and higher than others. But then again, my dogs have been trained and never even try to get out.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
7/5/11 3:24 p.m.

I'm not a fan. Recently a neighbor came by asking if we'd seen their lab. Their electric fence had failed and the dog got out. They even had a battery backup in case of a power outage.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/5/11 3:53 p.m.
keethrax wrote:
I've seen it first hand more than once. Even the best trained dog occasionally does something stupid, like take off after a squirrel. They go out at high speed and try to walk back in. There's the wireless distance-based ones, but I don't know anything about them other than that they exist. Seems like the "running past the shock zone" problem would be solved as I don't believe there's a "safe" zone farther away. But it seems like it would open up a whole different set of issues. Personally, I don't like either option as the sole restraint for an otherwise unsupervised dog, so our back yard is fenced. I am thinking about doing the buried wire bit for the front yard as an aid for when we're out there hanging out, but not specifically working with the dog.

wE use the wireless. Both dogs are EXTREMELY fast and either would be past that 3' "barrier" of the inground fences in one leap. So we went wireless. It works REALLY well, except needing batteries about every 3 months in each collar. They get shocked as long as they are outside the area (we have ours set to the max, ~100' radius) so they turn back to the house fast.

Ours is the "PetSafe" brand from Lowes IIRC and I cannot recommend it enough.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/5/11 3:59 p.m.

nothing to add but this..

Invisible fence prank

Graefin10
Graefin10 Reader
7/5/11 3:59 p.m.

I spent a lot of money installing the system on about 6 acres intending it to keep my two Great Danes in. It didn't work. I even paid an employee to do daily training walks with them for about two weeks. This is not to mention the many walks I did. At first it appeared to work. Then one day I was standing at my shop door and saw a rabbit on the other side of the IF perimeter. Off they went, two yelps when they both got shocked and that was that. They found out there were no other shocks on the other side of the fence and from then on it didn't work. I poured some used fish grease out on some weeds near the perimeter and saw the female licking the grease off the weeds while her neck was convulsing from the continual shocks. That did it, I sent the system back for a refund. Lesson learned, it doesen't work on Great Danes.

I've heard others say it worked fine on their dogs but they were smaller breeds.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
7/5/11 4:04 p.m.

Mrs. Oldtin spent time as a dog trainer. The advice is don't let electronic nannies take place of proper training that takes, time, dedication and practice. Many people use them successfully to keep a dog in. It doesn't keep other dogs or beasties out.

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
7/5/11 4:39 p.m.
Graefin10 wrote: I've heard others say it worked fine on their dogs but they were smaller breeds.

It works on my parents' large mutt. But their three small dogs (Jack Russels) blast right past it.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/5/11 4:48 p.m.

I want to add thta I agree that these are not a replacement for proper training and being with them when they are outside. We use it because we have LOTS of wildlife (skunks, chipmunks, squirrels, possums, birds yes birds) that can easily grab their attention and send them running into the roadway to get hit. It's our "backup" plan. But usually a simple command brings their attention back to us.

chrispy
chrispy New Reader
7/5/11 5:27 p.m.

I have about the same size lot as the OP. We've used the wireless type on 4 different dog over the past 8 years. No issues after proper training other than replacing the battery every few months. It only took a couple of days for our puppy to get used to it. The others were adults and took maybe a week. I like the fact that the wireless is portable too.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Reader
7/5/11 7:59 p.m.

These may do a job of keeping your dog in (or not) but not other creatures out as has been mentioned. I have yet to meet an electric fence I liked. We keep our dogs on leash or behind a real fence.

Put up a real fence and don't leave the pooch unattended.

I also know what they feel like as the neighbor's fence will loose power and their dog ends up in our yard. Was bringing him back (in the rain) after taking his collar off and carrying it with me. Found the border myself. OUCH. I would never subject any animal to such torture. Would you put one on your kid? Didn't think so.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
7/5/11 9:01 p.m.

I do agree with using a real fence..

Toyman01
Toyman01 SuperDork
7/5/11 10:55 p.m.

I used these with about 9K volts running through the wire. One just above ground level, and one 6 inches below the to. The dog never got out as long as it was on.

\

Just don't touch it.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
7/6/11 6:16 a.m.
I've heard others say it worked fine on their dogs but they were smaller breeds.

All three of my dogs were/are 70-80lbs, and my fence works fine. Most of the posts here about fences that don't work are clearly because of the fence used or the lack of training. Done properly, these things work fine. I have an acre of my 4 acres boardered. I'm not sure if the amount of space makes much difference or not, but maybe. We would have used a physical fence, but our yard is not condusive to it. One poster mentions a 3' shock zone. My fence has a 14' shock zone. It also reaches 6' high. Invisible Fence includes training in their price. They come out and train your dog for you and guarantee it will work, so there's nothing to lose.

Jake
Jake HalfDork
7/6/11 10:02 a.m.

I have a petsafe wireless fence. It works for me, keeps my 6-month-old mutt home. We live in the country burbs, though- all the folks in my neighborhood have at least an acre, most have two or more, as we do and our neighbors on either side do. As such, the containment zone is far away from the road and anyone else's house, but it doesn't do a thing to keep other dogs from coming in, which is the main downside- most people just let their dogs roam. Hasn't been a problem, part of the reason the dog roams around our place is to keep the random strays (there are a lot) away from our house.

The reason I went with the wireless (besides not having to install/ maintain the wire) is that it has a timeout function- if the pup decides to chase a squirrel, he gets corrected when he leaves the zone, but it'll stop after 30 seconds (he only needs about 1 second to turn around from whatever he's doing) should something happen, and then there's no "penalty" for him to come back into the yard like there would be on a fence that only senses proximity to the wire.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/6/11 10:17 a.m.

We use this:

Petsafe Wireless. One Transmitter, One Collar = $250. done.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=petsafe+wireless&hl=en&client=firefox-a&cid=16764161569537459481&os=sellers

Dog is petrified to leave the safety zone

orphancars
orphancars Reader
7/6/11 1:27 p.m.

I don't have one -- we use good old fashioned real fencing here with our 4 dogs.

All of my experience with these type devices has come from my neighbors that have them. I don't like 'em. Have seen when they fail (power outage, power supply failure, batteries in collar going bad), have seen where the dog is willing to take the risk/shock just to get at what is on the other side of the fence (and then take the risk/shock to get back in his yard!)......

It also depends on the dog. I have a rescue mutt here that I just know would not be deterred by any of these systems because he has a very high prey drive.....no matter the amount of training! This dog just likes to chase and kill things (and he's only 35 pounds and not a PB mix). With some dogs, no amount of training will be able to override the innate tendencies of the breed.

And true what some other folks have said -- invisible fence doesn't help when a dog/coyote comes into your yard and attacks your pets. Having a real fence keeps my dogs in and safe.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette Reader
7/6/11 4:51 p.m.
Dog is petrified to leave the safety zone

Torture will do that to you...

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
7/6/11 4:57 p.m.

The dog next door to my house finds it worthwhile to crap in my yard every morning even though he has to pass through his electric fence to do it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NZS65qZbVRhWicpZ57iXLvy49ZqwFV4L1cfAsZb1ZmAkFO4WM0dAHU1hy6Tl34mm