1 2
Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
8/2/23 9:23 p.m.

Update to my situation.  Just got the renewal a few months ago. $8900 for the year...

I did have roof, siding, fencing, screen and interior damage from Ian in September of last year.  It's been a frustrating experience dealing with the claim even being in the business.  They bought the roof off the bat but the siding was an extended fight.

The fence and screen was a minor deal but  interior estimate is just a mess of factually incorrect information. A hallway that doesn't exist, painting areas that don't need it and missing areas that were damaged.  Couldn't seem to get it right in two inspections even after I had provided an estimate and sketch within their estimating platform.  

New roof is on but the contractor is dragging out the siding install. I probably doing the interior myself just to avoid further frustration. Farming out the screening.  Fencing isn't fun but worth it to versus what people want to charge.  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/2/23 9:33 p.m.

My situation died - State Farm came out and the adjuster denied the claim.  The roofer guy said we'll take a 2nd run at it and fell off the edge of the earth.  I finally got him and he decided we are done.  

Whatever - part of owning a house is paying for a roof.  

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
8/2/23 10:22 p.m.

My dad advised the following and it's proven to be useful advice.

Budget and save 3-4% of your home's value for maintenance and repairs. Every year. 

Some years you can skate by but other years you need a roof, garage door, windows, bathroom, kitchen remodel, new HVAC, water heater, copper pinholes, wood flooring, paint job, ducts cleaned, attic insulation, whole house surge suppressor, driveway or sidewalk mud jacked, wet basement.... 

...the list is endless. Houses cost money to keep and fix. Plan for it. 

FieroReinke
FieroReinke Reader
8/3/23 7:33 p.m.

I am going through this right now.   When we bought the home we knew the roof was original, home built 2005.  4 years ago we brough the roofer out to check the roof after a tornado came through Jefferson City.  He said he didnt see any damage and just an old roof, but to call him if we have any hail storms  fast forward to last month and a hail storm came through Jefferson City.  Called him up and he found plenth of hail damage.  Insurance inspector agreed and initial check is already here.  All we have to cover is deductible and any upgrades.  

For me the key with roofing is to find a good roofer you trust and not a fly by night roofer.   Talk to others they have worked for.   Check reviews online, etc.   I trust this roofer.  make sure they are certified for inspecting for damage.  If you have legitimate claims file it.   If you dont, its part of home ownership.  MY wife and I were saving up to replace the roof next summer regardless, so the timing worked out.  

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
8/3/23 8:04 p.m.

A couple of questions if anyone can answer them (I know this thread originated a year ago BTW):

-  What exactly is this 7X fees law/thing that was/is causing issues?  Some sort way to encourage insurance companies to settle claims more?  (unintended consequences)

- Did they every do anything to address the 7X problem?  Or does it still exist?

- Why the heck are insurance companies expected to replace old roofs as new and absorb all the costs? If that is how policies are normally written I can certainly suggest an easy way to reduce this issue!   

Shouldn't there be some sort of depreciation considered. E.g. the owner will need to replace the roof soon, shouldn't the insurance only have to pay for the life that is left in the roof (clearly there are not solid numbers here, but at least a reasonable estimate of life?).   If someone destroys your 15 year old Sentra in a crash, normal auto policies do not get you a new car!

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
8/3/23 9:58 p.m.

My HO policy is like a roof shingle warranty. The coverage decreases as the roof ages. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
8/4/23 9:57 a.m.

I, too, have been solicited by several of these roof "salespeople" here in the metro Atlanta area. The first thing they ask is what insurance I have. My roof age is unknown but my home inspector estimated it at 10-15 years old, and in good shape. I had a solid trusted roofer fix a few problem areas when we moved in, and they also said it was in good condition and nothing to worry about for many years. Yet I get these salespeople who take one glance at it from the street, say they see damage from "all these big storms we've been having", and that they work well with insurance and by the way which insurance do you have? Nah, berkeley off. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
8/4/23 10:09 a.m.

I got a free roof in trade for my 30 year old roof. Didn't notice any bump to my premiums. YMMV. 

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
8/4/23 1:27 p.m.

In reply to aircooled :

There was recent legislation to help fix the attorneys fees essentially eliminated the one way (from insurance companies to the claimant) attorneys fees that existed. 

What had been happening frequently was roofing companies were hooked up with attorneys and would essentially sue on a large majority of claims they were involved in. The roofer would have salesman go door to door and sign peoples policy benefits over to the roofer.  To make matters worse it wasn't always even an issue of whether the insurance company bought the roof but how much they were wanted to pay.  For example if a roof replacement on the open market was $20k the roofers would often demand $30k+.  If the carrier didn't agree they would sue. With the one way attorney fees there was very little risk for them to sue. Prior to the legislation change the insurance carrier would be on the hook for attorneys fees if one more dollar than the payment was awarded.  That made it risky to defend on top of the cost already incurred when litigating a file.  Now the fees are typically incurred by each side reducing the number of lawsuits.  

To your point on the depreciation those policies are becoming more and more common especially once a roof reaches a certain age.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/26/24 3:32 p.m.

NY has an insurance fraud tip line, don't know about rewards or how it works.  I do know every one with State Farm just missed a chance to have their rates go up.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m05dTVP16oznZljdgzqB21XiKA5EnjXiFauzebSCw5GYVzIUAFB7iSCSKodYnM1V