redvalkyrie
redvalkyrie New Reader
3/1/11 7:39 p.m.

What are some of your favorite game shows? What do you like about certain games shows, what do you not like?

I'm brainstorming for ideas to refresh the classic academic quiz bowl game show--imagine a show consisting of high school students competing for cash and scholarships. It's have to be fun, fast, and entertaining to watch.

Let's hear your thoughts!

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
3/1/11 7:39 p.m.

I LOVE Cash Cab! Best game show on tv...

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit New Reader
3/1/11 7:49 p.m.

Lawn darts and blindfolds kind of like shoots and ladders (kind of?)

Claff
Claff Reader
3/1/11 7:51 p.m.

I much prefer fast-paced shows like Jeopardy compared to the shows that let contestants take 15 minutes to come up with an answer.

flountown
flountown Reader
3/1/11 7:56 p.m.

Jeopardy is the best.

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
3/1/11 8:18 p.m.

I prefer Japanese game shows. Never really know what's going on, but it's always going to amuse me, and injure the contestants.

porksboy
porksboy SuperDork
3/1/11 8:37 p.m.

Jeopardy is my favorite also. I like something fast paced and that challenges the viewer.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
3/1/11 8:44 p.m.

Count me in for Jeopardy. I've been told I might make a good contestant*- I am a font of useless knowledge!

*as long as the opponent isn't our new computer overlord Watson, whom I, for one, welcome!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/1/11 8:47 p.m.

Jeopardy.

Gubby
Gubby New Reader
3/1/11 8:58 p.m.

I've always been a fan of Jeopardy, a classic trivia contest. Here in West Michigan (land of enchantment) there is a television program called Quizbusters, broadcast weekly on WKAR, out of East Lansing. The contest features teams representing various high schools from all across the region. I was a member of my school's team back in the day...and was capped twice for the TV team. I had the honor of sitting under the lights that one night when our team came tantalizingly close to actually winning for the first time ever. I wonder if they have those episodes in an archive...? I would be easy to spot--with my beat-up Michigan State jacket over an equally worn Detroit Red Wings t-shirt--I kinda stood out amongst the sweater-vests

Gubby
Gubby Reader
3/1/11 9:04 p.m.

mndsm wrote: I prefer Japanese game shows. Never really know what's going on, but it's always going to amuse me, and injure the contestants.

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!!!!! I CAN'T SPEAK JAPANESE!!!!!

NickF40
NickF40 Reader
3/1/11 9:17 p.m.
Donebrokeit wrote: Lawn darts and blindfolds kind of like shoots and ladders (kind of?)

hahaha

Celebrity Jeopardy and Match Game 74 funny as hell

stroker
stroker Reader
3/1/11 9:43 p.m.

The original Password was the best. Especially when Elizabeth Montgomery was on.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit Dork
3/2/11 12:42 p.m.

Cash Cab.

kazoospec
kazoospec New Reader
3/2/11 1:45 p.m.

Not sure if it officially qualifies as a "game show", but really enjoying this season of "Top Shot" on History.

EDIT: Re-read your initial post, Top Shot style games + kids = not recommended.

flountown
flountown Reader
3/2/11 2:28 p.m.

I had a funny thought, what if you brought a kid on, and millionaire style took him through trivia for a scholarship. The catch is, there are five tiers of scholarship, Ivy League, Engineering School, Liberal Arts, State College, and Community.

The questions would be structured depending on the category, Ivy league would be well rounded with tough questions in history, math, science, literature while being forced to sit on a silver spoon. Engineering would be tough, but a lot of math and science questions with no hot chicks allowed to attend the taping. Liberal Arts would be history, literature and recreational drug use. State College would be all around and easier than Ivy League but they'd have to shotgun a beer after every wrong answer, and Community would be simple questions and you'd have to answer while your parents give you grief and wonder when you are going to move out.

(Please note, this is not meant to offend/stereotype anyone who went to one of these categories, this is just for fun joking.)

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
3/3/11 1:52 p.m.

Jeopardy. Mkes me feel brilliant some nights, drooling idiot others.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mv1kBqIZ07wiaGVWOhN80kJomOWR7ciX0vi2fP75hdAx6gRCfiFgDhBOWi8SkuTD