1 2 3 4
pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
11/22/11 8:56 a.m.

My Daughter is begging for the XBox with Kinect, but says that I am banned form buying a "nerd headset". Is that going to be an issue for me?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
11/22/11 9:00 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: My Daughter is begging for the XBox with Kinect, but says that I am banned form buying a "nerd headset". Is that going to be an issue for me?

No because it comes with one. You're all set, Sir. On to the Forza threads for you.

NickF40
NickF40 Dork
11/22/11 9:15 a.m.

if you just want to play die hard racing simulation and THAT'S IT, then you'd have to be a monumental moron to buy a console instead of getting a PC for Live For Speed, rFactor, and GTR2 along with other SimBin titles.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
11/22/11 9:32 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Javelin wrote: There's been like 3 films actually filmed in high enough HD to look different on BluRay versus regular DVD, so that's useless. Online gaming is pretty lame unless you're racing on Forza4 with Team GRM as all you'll do is get cussed at by a 25 year old pot-smoking slacker from his Mom's basement and his 13 year old kid brother as they cheat their way through "pwning" you.
I can't disagree with that enough.

Obviously a joke statement, but back here in reality 99% of BluRay media looks NO different than the DVD versions. That and what kind of crap do we normally watch? LeMans and HB Halacki's original Gone in 60 Seconds? Yeah, those will be worth paying 4x as much for on BluRay if that ever even happens...

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit SuperDork
11/22/11 9:33 a.m.

I have one of each, long story, and aside from Forza the Xbox does not get used at all.

The free online aspect of the PS3 keeps me coming back to it. It is also easiercheaper to upgrade the hard drive ina PS3 than an Xbox. Another thing that I really like about the PS3 is that I can plug just about any USB device into it, like a steering wheel, and it will work unlike the 360.

NickF40
NickF40 Dork
11/22/11 9:38 a.m.

^ this, exactly the same as me. Except, I don't have my 360 anymore because both died (the original one I bought and then the one they sent me after the first one RROD'd)and I got rid of them

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb Reader
11/22/11 10:19 a.m.

In reply to NickF40:

They fixed the red ring of death problem. The new ones are missing the red lights.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/22/11 10:33 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
Javelin wrote: There's been like 3 films actually filmed in high enough HD to look different on BluRay versus regular DVD, so that's useless. Online gaming is pretty lame unless you're racing on Forza4 with Team GRM as all you'll do is get cussed at by a 25 year old pot-smoking slacker from his Mom's basement and his 13 year old kid brother as they cheat their way through "pwning" you.
I can't disagree with that enough.
*Obviously* a joke statement, but back here in reality 99% of BluRay media looks NO different than the DVD versions. That and what kind of crap do we normally watch? LeMans and HB Halacki's original Gone in 60 Seconds? Yeah, those will be worth paying 4x as much for on BluRay if that ever even happens...

I'm still hoping you're joking.

Or maybe you're just talking about movies made in... the 80s or older?

Or maybe i'm just weird. The difference flat out astounds me.

I mean, i can see how you wouldn't see a difference if you didn't have an HDTV. But that's about it.

NickF40
NickF40 Dork
11/22/11 10:38 a.m.

so what's the new color? yeah I hear the new systems are a little better and that they run smoother and a little more reliable but still....meh, just don't have interest in the system anymore

my buddies 250GB S actually just died on him recently, he got that after his older Elite died

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
11/22/11 10:40 a.m.

Depends on the movie and how it was transferred... the original Predator for example, was a poor translation at best..... and Cars for example is night and day different.

92CelicaHalfTrac
11/22/11 10:55 a.m.
mndsm wrote: Depends on the movie and how it was transferred... the original Predator for example, was a poor translation at best..... and Cars for example is night and day different.

Well, yeah.... if i movie wasn't filmed in much better than SD, then there's no point. (Although the audio is usually better as well.)

But watch any movie made in the last 10 years on DVD then tell me you see/hear no difference when you watch it again in Blu-Ray.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
11/22/11 11:07 a.m.

Worth 4x the cost difference? No, none of them.

92CelicaHalfTrac
11/22/11 11:13 a.m.
Javelin wrote: Worth 4x the cost difference? No, none of them.

Let's not change the subject, here. That's subjective i suppose. I'd be happy to pay more for Bluray if it cost more for what i do.

Are Blu-Rays really that expensive? I don't recall new DVDs ever really going much under $20. I wouldn't pay $80 for a Blu-Ray, that's for sure.

I wouldn't know, to be honest. I don't buy movies. I rent them, and it costs the same either way.

Sorry for the threadjack. I don't use my PS3 as a bluray player anyways. I use a Pioneer Elite unit.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
11/22/11 11:20 a.m.

What movies are 4x the cost on Bluray? Last week, I got the new Harry Potter. Bluray was $2 more than regular. Two dollars! And the regular DVD wasn't fifty cents, either.

92CelicaHalfTrac
11/22/11 11:27 a.m.
RealMiniDriver wrote: What movies are 4x the cost on Bluray? Last week, I got the new Harry Potter. Bluray was $2 more than regular. Two dollars! And the regular DVD wasn't fifty cents, either.

Ahem!!!! Your math doesn't work!!!

$2 more than $0.50 is $2.50.

And that's FIVE times the cost!

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
11/22/11 11:54 a.m.

I just went on Amazon and checked. Avatar, which no one can argue doesn't look better on Blu-Ray, is $19.99 for a DVD AND Blu-Ray set. DVD only? $8.99

At this point you just need to admit that dog won't hunt.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
11/22/11 12:37 p.m.

People buy blu-rays?

If it isn't streaming (Netflix/Hulu/PSN/etc.), I'm not watching it. We've had a PS3 for about a year (myself and 3 roommates) - I think someone put Kung Fu Panda in once to verify that it would play Blu-Rays, and that's the extent of it's use.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
11/22/11 1:07 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
I just went on Amazon and checked. Avatar, which no one can argue doesn't look better on Blu-Ray, is $19.99 for a DVD AND Blu-Ray set. DVD only? $8.99 At this point you just need to admit that dog won't hunt.

Maybe I just haven't purchased a DVD since... ah, hold on... Cars 1, I think. Most "normal" DVD's are $8.99 a few weeks after they come out (check Target). Blu-Ray's are what, $30 normally?

It's all moot BS anyways because in under 3 years we're all going to buy "digital copy" only, so farking bother with it?

fastEddie
fastEddie SuperDork
11/22/11 1:50 p.m.

I'm hoping UltraViolet catches on but it seems like a good idea and so is probably doomed.

As for who buys Blu-Ray's? I do. We live in the country and the best we can get is a 1.5Mbs DSL line which is borderline usable for streaming something close to HD quality.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
11/22/11 2:07 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Osterkraut wrote:
I just went on Amazon and checked. Avatar, which no one can argue doesn't look better on Blu-Ray, is $19.99 for a DVD AND Blu-Ray set. DVD only? $8.99 At this point you just need to admit that dog won't hunt.
Maybe I just haven't purchased a DVD since... ah, hold on... Cars 1, I think. Most "normal" DVD's are $8.99 a few weeks after they come out (check Target). Blu-Ray's are what, $30 normally?

Come on man, what's next? I just showed you your average Blu-Ray is under $20.

92CelicaHalfTrac
11/22/11 2:12 p.m.

Ugh.... digital copies can DIAF.

I STILL buy CDs. I refuse to stop.

Until i can buy uncompressed digital copies of everything, i'm not buying even ONE. I refuse to support that crap.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
11/22/11 2:27 p.m.

shrug I only watch a movie once. Maybe twice if it's really good. Its cheaper to go to the movie theater than it is to buy a copy (and I rarely do that). Streaming services let me watch way more than I ever should and cost very little money.

I would gladly buy digital copies of some things -mainly audio books- if they weren't DRM protected.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
11/22/11 3:52 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
Javelin wrote:
Osterkraut wrote:
Come on man, what's next? I just showed you your average Blu-Ray is under $20.

Okay, so they're cheaper than they used to be. They're still about twice the price ($20 versus $10), not available for most titles older than 10 years old, and still don't look any better on the majority of movies. Bitch and complain all you want, but all you've done is derail a simulator/game console question into some stupid argument over what is essentially the second coming of BetaMax. It's stupid, and the format really isn't going to be that "big" anyways thanks to media-on-demand/streaming/cloud/UltraViolet.

I don't give a crap, neither does the OP, and neither should you. Sheesh!

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
11/22/11 5:08 p.m.
Javelin wrote: There's been like 3 films actually filmed in high enough HD to look different on BluRay versus regular DVD, so that's useless.

You are on crack or need to have your perscription checked. Films aren't filmed in HD. They are filmed with either film cameras or digital movie cameras. Both have higher resolution than the 1080p that Blu-Ray tops out at.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
11/22/11 5:17 p.m.
SupraWes wrote:
Javelin wrote: There's been like 3 films actually filmed in high enough HD to look different on BluRay versus regular DVD, so that's useless.
You are on crack or need to have your perscription checked. Films aren't filmed in HD. They are filmed with either film cameras or digital movie cameras. Both have higher resolution than the 1080p that Blu-Ray tops out at.

Again, obviously a joke statement meant to wildly out-of-proportion some small random fact. Next time I'll include the required number of smilies, OK? Sheesh!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DYCg2MoSy5ZaJsZYiPdpnexXTYEK61nwJr2wsxrhLAjQD7h4d17V3n2pi0a6ff7i