Mustang50
Mustang50 Reader
4/10/24 1:16 p.m.

My wife and I applied yesterday for Global Entry to help us get through Customs when we travel.   I received my PASSID number with-in a few hours but my wife has not received hers.  The only difference in our original application was we used different credit cards to pay the fees.    Does anyone have any experience with this process?  Approximately how long to receive our cards?

brandonsmash
brandonsmash Reader
4/10/24 1:19 p.m.

Global Entry does not come with a physical card. Wait times may vary; when I first applied it took me 18 months to get an interview, whereas my wife had hers done relatively quickly.

Once you receive your PASSID that's it, you have Global Entry. When you re-enter the US at a port equipped with GE you just skip the normal customs line, go to a GE kiosk, and they more or less wave you through after you scan your passport. GE attaches itself to your passport and you will not have a physical card like you do for Precheck. 

Your wife may be flagged for additional screening. I'd give it a couple weeks and follow up with USCBP if you haven't heard back by late April. They are not known as the most expedient of departments. 

Good luck! 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
4/10/24 1:29 p.m.

My global entry done about this time last year came with a physical card *but* its linked to your passport anyway.  

I had to interview at the airport when I came back from Mexico since there were no interviews locally, fortunately thats a once a month or 2 situation.  

glueguy (Forum Supporter)
glueguy (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/10/24 2:02 p.m.

I've had global entry since the early days of the program so I don't know if it's changed but I have a hard card. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
4/10/24 2:13 p.m.

My wife just got Global Entry in February and she definitely got a card as well.

The usual process involves an interview after you get conditional approval, which in her case took about two weeks. Once you have conditional approval, you can do the interview on return from an international trip, which is usually much sooner than trying to get an appointment for the interview.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider UberDork
4/10/24 2:37 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

They are just starting remote interviews. Remote Interviews It's worth checking out. 

johndej
johndej UltraDork
4/10/24 2:43 p.m.

I had an in person interview several years ago for it, recently it was just a virtual call to renew. Don't know what the hold up would be after the interview process, my wife and I had ours the same day and hers took a hair longer, we're thinking because she had recently changed her name after we got married. For others applying, our smaller airport (RIC) was much easier to get in and out of than bigger citys (DC & Raleigh), a few friends had better luck coming our way then their local area.

szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter)
szeis4cookie (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/10/24 3:47 p.m.
johndej said:

I had an in person interview several years ago for it, recently it was just a virtual call to renew. Don't know what the hold up would be after the interview process, my wife and I had ours the same day and hers took a hair longer, we're thinking because she had recently changed her name after we got married. For others applying, our smaller airport (RIC) was much easier to get in and out of than bigger citys (DC & Raleigh), a few friends had better luck coming our way then their local area.

This is funny, I had the exact opposite experience for my initial interview. I ended up having to do our interview at Dulles because I couldn't ever find a time slot that worked at RIC. I've just renewed my kids though, and the renewal was basically instant.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FTGMvJbyYslzzLXZ7jdYWboIqCVWFYu9b6MDWLHLR9H42ZvAOO4rsVmwkerA5C9X