1 2
John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/18/09 2:03 p.m.

So... how do I put this...

You all know how I have automotive ADHD, right? I have been exceptionally enamored with the idea of building a 4.6L Northstar New Beetle. I even have gone as far as procuring a 1999 chassis with an automatic 2.0L.

The ONLY items worth a crap on the "Bug of Love" are the transmission and the wheels...

So a funny thing happened on the way back from the hospital.

I am buying a Dodge Caravan out of my wifes grandfathers estate (70k miles maintained very well) and was trying to sell the Passat (I see high dollars repairs in it's future) to cover the VERY reduced cost of the van and put some money back for the famdamily.

So a guy comes into the shop with a very clean 1999 New Beetle with a bad transmission and an auto/2.0L... He does not want to spend the money on the car to rebuild/replace or even swap out a new trans because he just spent $2000.00 replacing the timing belt, tires, tune up and some other maintenance items.

The owner of the Beetle says that he is looking to get enough money to pick up an older Passat like the one he saw on Craigslist earlier... Yes it was mine.

So the guy offers me $750.00 plus the title to his car for the Passat.

Did I mention the Beetle is still driveable?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Reader
2/18/09 2:06 p.m.

damnation for sure...but you are the luckiest guy going to H3LL ive ever met

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/18/09 2:08 p.m.

I love it when a plan comes together!

Just for the record, it's not evil, and I love hearing stories like this. It makes me feel less guilty about similar ones of mine ;).

Clem

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/18/09 2:08 p.m.

SAY WHAAAAAAA!? Congrats, dude. Hell schmell, it looks like the invisible wizard in the sky is smiling on you. Roll with it.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
2/18/09 2:12 p.m.

Nah, I don't think you're going to hell. It's God's little reward for all the good things you've done for others, all the patience used up recently and the stress of famdamilydom.

God smiled at you. You're even

DON'T BERKELEY IY UP!!!!

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/18/09 2:22 p.m.

where will a N* fit in that chassis?

Jay
Jay HalfDork
2/18/09 3:06 p.m.

Anywhere it wants.

J

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
2/18/09 3:10 p.m.

Owning two new beetles? I do believe that is in fact justification for hell.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/18/09 3:10 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: where will a N* fit in that chassis?

Between the firewall and the radiator ;)

I can't use the OE transmission, I will need to run a TH125, but there is plenty of room under the hood of the Beetle for an Aurora or N* engine.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
2/18/09 3:45 p.m.

The "going to hell" part will come when that same guy comes back with the Passat and you have to tell him about the high dollar repairs it needs and trying to figure out how to make it look like you wouldn't have known this ahead of time.

You might want to make sure he is not a violent person before closing the deal.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/18/09 4:37 p.m.

Advised him of every repair needed and what to look out for.

Every repair needed is minor but costly, and none will leave the vehicle disabled.

He was perfectly fine with it.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
2/18/09 8:44 p.m.

wow, sounds like a hell of a deal.

I just cant see JmfnB rollin' in a new beetle...what would you put in the column mounted flower holder?

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
2/18/09 9:12 p.m.

A bouquet of bent valves.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
2/18/09 9:14 p.m.

NOS!

Or flowers.

Anybody notice the alarming number of Dorks in this thread?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
2/18/09 9:52 p.m.

Thats Superdork to you little suddard.

Hey JB-I heard a rumor there is a N* in GA waiting for a home.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
2/18/09 11:28 p.m.

... it's prob. a good thing i moved back down here when I did haha...

i'll be heading north in a few weeks (not sure when exactly) with the empty van and a uhaul trailler to get my crap from the storage shed in jackson... just sayin...

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
2/18/09 11:55 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Owning two new beetles? I do believe that is in fact justification for hell.

No, he's just going to think he's in Hell.

steven7
steven7
2/19/09 12:14 a.m.

Hi, This is Steven, I am new member to this site. I really very happy to see this site. ========================= steven7 visit Used Cars

minimac
minimac Dork
2/19/09 4:48 a.m.
John Brown wrote: So... how do I put this... I am buying a Dodge Caravan out of my wifes grandfathers estate (70k miles maintained very well).......

HA ha ha...you laughed when I told you some time ago that when you got kids, a minivan is the only answer. For doubting me, you will go to h*ll!

914Driver
914Driver Dork
2/19/09 5:39 a.m.

Quasi, if one can be squeezed in here.....

http://www.v8mr2.com/

I've also seen them in the nose of a round eye Rabbit.

Got Saw-Zall?

fornetti14
fornetti14 Reader
2/19/09 5:41 a.m.

It's the minivan gods smiling on you.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
2/19/09 10:00 a.m.

if you turbo the minivan, and accept grip into your heart, you shall be saved.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/19/09 10:01 a.m.

Mommyvan... I am considering an SRT4 swap into the Stratus though

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
2/19/09 3:11 p.m.
carguy123 wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: Owning two new beetles? I do believe that is in fact justification for hell.
No, he's just going to think he's in Hell.

Owning two VWs is like having syphilis and gonorrhea at the same time. Only difference is if you squirt penicillin on the VWs they don't go away.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
2/19/09 3:44 p.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YfJkdf7lBANUOlX38aLMWdpcTuOIFJ8XCSOSRs9JX7mKJblOkXFZuvuYMV3qJ0dh