RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
10/1/22 3:51 p.m.

I feel like it's time for me to give sausage making a go. I have a 10lb pork butt and am going shopping this week. 

So what's your favorite recipe mix or blend? Sweet, hot, savory, I'm open to all suggestions. 

Because it's my first time, I'm not going to do links, if that makes a difference in your suggestions.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/1/22 4:06 p.m.

Do ya have a good grinder? 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/1/22 4:34 p.m.

My Italian grandmother's recipe rewritten by my dad.  Both made it on the machine as shown.  I go to the local Italian deli.  

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
10/1/22 5:21 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Do ya have a good grinder? 

All metal kitchenaid grinder. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/1/22 7:45 p.m.

I make a 100+ pounds of sausage and liver pudding every year for the family. I usually use AC Legg sausage seasoning mixes and seaon to taste. 

Buy an assortment, set up the grinder and a frying pan and try a few of them. I usually use the hot pork seasonings in everything. 

Another good place to get seasonings is your local butcher. He will have a mix that he uses. 

Edit to add: I run mine through a Weston #12 commercial machine with the large plate and grind it twice. Once before seasoning and once after. 

Get the meat as close to frozen as you can. It will grind easier and keep the grinder cool. 

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
10/1/22 9:04 p.m.

Boerwors is the best sausage I've ever had. The wife is South African, and it's a staple in the homeland. It may have played a factor in my 23 year marriage. Literally translated it is "Farmer sausage". Pork speck, beef, and lamb (if you're nasty). Toasted coriander, salt, pepper, and some other stuff. It's delicious. Don't grind fine - do 3/8" or greater for best texture. And do one continuous coil with a whole casing. 

Serve with Mrs Balls chutney and a cold beer and you will experience nirvana. 

My grinder has sit idle too long  I've made myself hungry. 

Boerewors recipe

https://www.africanhut.com/collections/bottled-sauces-and-condiments/products/mrs-balls-original-chutney-470g_100126

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/1/22 9:42 p.m.

This always makes me hungry........

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/2/22 9:53 a.m.

Not sausage but hold out some unseasoned, ground pork.  I think I'll make some of these today...

Pork Egg Rolls

Sesame oil, garlic, ginger saute and brown ground pork (about 1 lb)

Half a bag of fresh coleslaw mix (shredded cabbaged and shredded carrot) heated in the skillet till just sort of limp.  

Mix pork and cabbage mix with Chinese 5 spice and some sesame seeds.

Roll into egg roll wrappers.  I don't deep fry mine (but you can,)  I just cook them in my oven on convection.   

Serve with a red sweet/sour dipping sauce or make your own.  

Similar but different...  Last week I had some boneless pork blade chops.  I marinated in teriyaki, soy sauce, ginger and garlic then grilled using the remaining liquid marinade as a basting sauce.  Damn good!  

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/2/22 11:06 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Also goes surprisingly well in stir fry and meatloaf. 

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
10/2/22 8:49 p.m.

I make meatballs for spaghetti sauce with 1/2 fresh ground chuck and 1/2 ground pork.  I purée onions garlic and fresh basil and mix with some homemade bread crumbs.  Then roast them off.  Always a big hot here.

danrothat
danrothat
10/2/22 10:29 p.m.
Teh E36 M3 said:

Boerwors is the best sausage I've ever had. The wife is South African, and it's a staple in the homeland. It may have played a factor in my 23 year marriage. Literally translated it is "Farmer sausage". Pork speck, beef, and lamb (if you're nasty). Toasted coriander, salt, pepper, and some other stuff. It's delicious. Don't grind fine - do 3/8" or greater for best texture. And do one continuous coil with a whole casing. 

Serve with Mrs Balls chutney and a cold beer and you will experience nirvana. 

My grinder has sit idle too long  I've made myself hungry. 

Boerewors recipe

https://www.africanhut.com/collections/bottled-sauces-and-condiments/products/mrs-balls-original-chutney-470g_100126 bloxorz

It look so delicious. I will try it

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
10/3/22 11:53 a.m.

My brother is a meat cutter, actually put a small shop in the back of a 24' trailer.  Stainless tables, band saw etc. I mounted an engine hoist on the right rear corner to hoist Bambi, goats or pigs up for peeling and bagging.  Easier clean up for him, you get the skin, guts and mess, he gets $100.

Mike gets a lot of his supplies from LEM Products.  They offer spices, equipment, casings, everything.  Poke around, they may offer recipes with their spice.  Mike used it, but once he learned the ingredients it went better buying the stuff separately and personalizing the sausage.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
10/8/22 12:27 a.m.

I need to try sausage making.  The boerwors looks great.

Anyone have a good recipe for Portuguese chorizo?  I bought an asado (little grill thing) and can't find the sausage locally.

Chorizo asado - Picture of O Cantinho da Rute, Lisbon - Tripadvisor

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DOK0FfOk4Ea5mHraon4EZDGfq0z9obSkZRiDuFV5Do6RbfrzVhiEQwxU1EQRBQfU