benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
3/6/09 12:25 a.m.

Well my poor old Grandma had to move and the only place she could find in her budget is at 4000ft and gets snowed in. The road into there warns against attempt in snow and ice, one of the hills is 30% grade.

She has dogs so she needs something with power steering and easy to get into and out of. She is 73. She could also use AC and all the goodies of a newer car.

I was thinking a subaru forester or wagon sounds about fit, but was curious what you guys think. She will need something relatively low maintanence and I don't know much about the merits of various AWD/4wd cars.

Thanks for the help folks!

mtn
mtn Dork
3/6/09 12:31 a.m.

Subaru Forester, if you're gonna go the Subaru route. Another to consider would be the Volvo AWD wagon.

SUV's

Slightly used 4Runner.

Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape

What is the budget here?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/6/09 12:51 a.m.

I take it no Off-roading will be involved, so that can simplifie things I'm not sure what power steering has to do with dogs, but i think you would be hard pressed to find something without P/S.

Forester sounds like a good choise but remember that good snow tires are more important than AWD. And good luck/best wishes for your Grandma.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
3/6/09 2:21 a.m.

Thanks for the help, my Grandma doesn't have much arm strength and neither of her cars(del sol and nissan pickup) now has PS,

I think a subi might fit the bill and the time I spent in Colorado I never have seen more subis in winter.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
3/6/09 2:23 a.m.
benzbaron wrote: I was thinking a subaru forester or wagon sounds about fit, but was curious what you guys think.

Yep, that's it. Billy goat in the snow, standard power stuff and A/C, easy to operate. Get a base model, the higher trims are mainly just cosmetics and options. An Outback would suit her well, but a Forester could be easier to climb into, depending on her stature.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
3/6/09 4:08 a.m.

Your 73 year old Grandma drives a del sol?

Sounds like a pretty cool chick.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
3/6/09 5:22 a.m.

Subaru, imo.

Though beware how Grandma is getting in an out. Too many older people, something like a Subaru is too low to the ground, and they do better with the higher sport ute type.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya New Reader
3/6/09 5:32 a.m.

Also a CRV would be in the same mix, but I wouldvote subaru as well.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
3/6/09 5:52 a.m.

Because Grandma is 73, consider some type of van or SUV. My FIL eventually was sentenced to a wheelchair, but prior to that he discovered that vans & SUVs are so much easier to get into. The seat is about butt height, just slide in.

Does the Honda SUV thingie come in 4WD?

Any 4WD SUV is good, I've had a 4-Runner for 12 years and it just runs and runs, comfy, carries a boat load of stuff and dogs can go in the back keeping their hair off the seats.

Dan

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/6/09 6:53 a.m.

My uncle, who lives in colorado atop a mountain, had one of the early awd subarus.. he claims he had to chain it down at night or he would find it up in the trees come morning.. yes, it climbed up to his house that easily.

I also vote for the forester. Small enough to be easily manueverable, large enough to be easy to get in and out. With proper maintaince, reliable as a brick.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
3/6/09 7:27 a.m.

You are barking up the right tree with the subies for sure. AWD suzuki arieos are good to. AWD CRV or element would also be good choices. Regarless of what she chooses, convince her to get some real winter tires to go with it, in most winter driving conditions the snow tires will help more than 4WD. edit: I would also approach used awd volvos with extream caution, I personaly know a few owners of early XCs that had maitanence nightmares.

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
3/6/09 7:31 a.m.

I too agree to be mindful of seat height. I bet she now gets into the Nissan PU better than the del Sol (very cool on the del Sol.)
Since she is used to non-PS cars then she likely does not need luxury.

Reliability: when buying used, by the best model that your money will allow but i would look toward all the Cute-Utes
Chevy Tracker - Vitara
CRV
Rav4
Forester - as mentioned
Ford Escape
Jeep Cherokee - Liberty
anything similar

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/6/09 8:13 a.m.

I would not suggest a "true" 4x4 as those would require some thought to get in and out of 4x4. An AWD vehicle will be easy to use.. just point and press gas. If she has a regular 4x4 and leaves it in 4WD on pavement she can wreck U-joints.

Subaru Rav4 CRV escape

those have all wheel drive. Also look for Full Time four wheel drive, that would work as well. But please do not get part time 4x4. imho

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
3/6/09 1:36 p.m.

Suzuki SX4?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
3/6/09 2:18 p.m.

06-up Grand Vitara. The Limited's had fulltime 4wd/AWD that took the guess work out of it. Push teh button. Done. Still has a full frame, real transfer cases and is more capable as an off-raoder than the rest of the soft-roader Cute-utes.

Now that I think of it, I think 'Zuk added that as an option on the 04/05 GV's. Those trucks are tough.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/6/09 2:46 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: 06-up Grand Vitara. The Limited's had fulltime 4wd/AWD that took the guess work out of it. Push teh button. Done. Still has a full frame, real transfer cases and is more capable as an off-raoder than the rest of the soft-roader Cute-utes. Now that I think of it, I think 'Zuk added that as an option on the 04/05 GV's. Those trucks are tough.

I agree with you but she's a 73 year old grandma.. and I think it's time she had a soft roader.. :-)

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Reader
3/6/09 2:54 p.m.

The GV rides as good as the other cute utes IMO, but it's built to handle the terrain. I mean, if my wife loved it, she will too. Wife doens't like ANYTHING stiff.... wow, that looks wrong.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
3/6/09 3:54 p.m.

Thanks for all the help folks, I'll make a list.

I like the suzuki suggestion too, they probably loose all their value right off the lot and I doubt people are fighting over a used suzuki. I know the 4 runner is popular up in the mountains.

My sister had a dodge caravan AWD and it handled pretty well. The only issue is it overheated and started knocking on heavens door.

Thanks again!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago HalfDork
3/6/09 6:48 p.m.

The 99-00 4Runner Limiteds had a 3 mode transfer case. 4Hi, 4Lo, and AWD.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
3/8/09 3:13 p.m.

Go AWD, I heartily agree on going subie.
though I do prefer the early 90s AWD as compared to the late 90s AWD system.
I had a 94 AWD legacy sedan and it was great, I drove a friends Forester and the AWD kicked in a bit late. Think of a RWD vehicle getting traction midway through a turn and that is how it felt.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
3/9/09 5:20 p.m.

I think she needs a Lamborghini, AWD, low to the ground, and easy to open doors.

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
3/9/09 6:36 p.m.
SupraWes wrote: I think she needs a Lamborghini, AWD, low to the ground, and easy to open doors.

How about an LM-100, with a fold out "booster step"?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u3EilNUJ0JxrKoW0GU4uIblul8Mq78DbLKVWZo1YOPPUdEGEr2h2e9ZWiGPEk7Uq