8 9 10 11 12
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
12/18/12 10:14 a.m.

In reply to ransom:

So, if 99.9999% of the kids don't need armed protection, why do we need to "do something" so badly?

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
12/18/12 10:19 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: In reply to JoeyM: Jesus. Hell no!!!!!!!!!!!! Have you met most parents?!?!
I'm just pointing out that this is already happening at some private schools.

My fiance is a teacher at a public elementary school. She told me there were a few parents she would be scared of coming into school and shooting up the place. I don't think it would be a good idea to invite them into a school with weapons.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
12/18/12 10:20 a.m.
ransom wrote: If you have a guy with an AR-15 in the back of the classroom every day, I'm not at all sure what you're going to engender is a sense of security. It says "things could come down to a firefight any time now."

Thats about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You only have a rifle if you need range. Handguns and shotguns would be the best tools for building defense.

Then again........people are ignorant to knowing these things. At 10ft or less, a knife is more dangerous than a firearm.

I'm going to revote that the problem here is getting mental health treatment, and the simple fact most of the public would rather see the mentally ill dead or in prisons.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/18/12 10:21 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: In reply to ransom: So, if 99.9999% of the kids don't need armed protection, why do we need to "do something" so badly?

We don't. When has logic ever prevailed?

My local paper was full of editorials stating that now is the time to enact meaningful gun control legislation but not one single plea for addressing mental illness treatment. Go figure.

12/18/12 10:25 a.m.
yamaha wrote: I'm going to revote that the problem here is getting mental health treatment, and the simple fact most of the public would rather see the mentally ill dead or in prisons.

Don't be silly. The obvious solution is to use armed hall monitors. The kids have to be there all day anyway... so put them on security detail

yamaha
yamaha Dork
12/18/12 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

+1 sir, +1.......I won't even charge for the keyboard.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/18/12 10:27 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: In reply to ransom: So, if 99.9999% of the kids don't need armed protection, why do we need to "do something" so badly?

Because 0.0001% do.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
12/18/12 10:30 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
We don't. When has logic ever prevailed? My local paper was full of editorials stating that now is the time to enact meaningful gun control legislation but not one single plea for addressing mental illness treatment. Go figure.

This.

We do need to do something, but it's more about working on the societal problems than securing the schools (EDITed for syntax from "that security the schools" which isn't even English...). As much as I don't like guns, the biggest issue is neither gun control nor arming possible targets.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/18/12 10:41 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:

Somebody needs to give that kid in the front row a refresher on the four rules

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
12/18/12 10:44 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Beat me to it. But, it's hezbollah, so I don't care as much about an AD.

And no, autocorrect, I'm not capitalizing hezbollah, you turrorist sympathizin sum bitch.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
12/18/12 12:13 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
ransom wrote: If you have a guy with an AR-15 in the back of the classroom every day, I'm not at all sure what you're going to engender is a sense of security. It says "things could come down to a firefight any time now."
Thats about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You only have a rifle if you need range. Handguns and shotguns would be the best tools for building defense.

Just referencing what was said by one of the actual armed dads. Actually, I did add the "15", but my small amount of research suggests that this is what someone is talking about when they say "AR". Even if it's a different variant he was apparently talking about an assault rifle, yes?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/18/12 12:21 p.m.

In reply to ransom:

Basically any .223 or .556 is commonly referred to as an AR when technically only a Colt AR-15 is from what I understand. My 7.62x39 Saiga is no AK-47, but I call it an AK because it is the same basic build and design.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
12/18/12 12:36 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

I was curious the gun so talked about over the w/e, so I googled it: a Bushmaster AR-15 is bascially a civilian M-16.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/18/12 12:46 p.m.
Ian F wrote: In reply to N Sperlo: I was curious the gun so talked about over the w/e, so I googled it: a Bushmaster AR-15 is bascially a civilian M-16.

Yea. basically the definition of a lot of "assault rifles." The Colt AR-15 was made to be a non-military assault rifle. Bushmaster makes pretty nice one.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/18/12 1:31 p.m.

The problem with "assault rifle" is that the term is so fuzzy. Here's what it takes to be an "assault weapon"

Semi-automatic rifles able to accept detachable magazines and two or more of the following: Folding or telescoping stock Pistol grip Bayonet mount Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one Grenade launcher (more precisely, a muzzle device that enables launching or firing rifle grenades, though this applies only to muzzle mounted grenade launchers and not those mounted externally). Semi-automatic pistols with detachable magazines and two or more of the following: Magazine that attaches outside the pistol grip Threaded barrel to attach barrel extender, flash suppressor, handgrip, or suppressor Barrel shroud that can be used as a hand-hold Unloaded weight of 50 oz (1.4 kg) or more A semi-automatic version of a fully automatic firearm. Semi-automatic shotguns with two or more of the following: Folding or telescoping stock Pistol grip Fixed capacity of more than 5 rounds Detachable magazine.

This shotgun is fine right now but if you swap stocks, it is an "assault weapon" (pistol grip + semi-auto +more than 5 shells)

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
12/18/12 1:45 p.m.

I have stayed away from this pretty steadily, but I want to add something now.

Suppose tomorrow, a 300 foot tidal wave came out of nowhere and knocked out all of a small city in Maine.

Do we:

Build a 350 foot wall around all coastal cities?

Legislate against tidal waves?

Not allow any coastal cities?

Or maybe we just look at better ways of identifying when that tidal wave might hit and accept that was a one in a million that will probably never happen again, even if we do nothing.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
12/18/12 1:51 p.m.

Say that schools become inpenetrable fortresses. Great, no gunman will ever attack a school. But what about the bus stop? What about malls, restaurants, public parks, playgrounds, markets, churches, or any other areas where a lot of people congregate? this issue is so much more complex than arming adults on school grounds, because the gunman will simply choose the path of least resistance. Disarming everyone won't help either, because there are plenty of ways to kill a lot of people.

The best solution really looks to be addressing the mental issues that cause people to make these decisions in the first place.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
12/18/12 1:53 p.m.

Now now.... we shouldn't be using common sense in here. It's not emotional enough.

12/18/12 1:54 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I have stayed away from this pretty steadily, but I want to add something now. Suppose tomorrow, a 300 foot tidal wave came out of nowhere and knocked out all of a small city in Maine. Do we: Build a 350 foot wall around all coastal cities? Legislate against tidal waves? Not allow any coastal cities? Or maybe we just look at better ways of identifying when that tidal wave might hit and accept that was a one in a million that will probably never happen again, even if we do nothing.

There would be an outcry to drain the ocean. No matter how many times someone said "The oceans are not the problem" people would still blame the ocean.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
12/18/12 1:55 p.m.

remember, personal responsibility is not your problem. There's always something/someone else to blame.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
12/18/12 2:13 p.m.

Relevant article:

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/12/gun-control/all/

I'm surprised they mentioned microstamping at all since it's super easy to defeat through modification, but there are some facts in there that you may not know, like that online gun sales through dealers don't require background checks or anything, and a couple of the recent mass-shooters bought this way.

And that in this age of watchlists, wiretapping and electronic surveillance, the US government can't legally keep a database of gun owners...buying fertilizer will draw more attention.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
12/18/12 2:16 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: I have stayed away from this pretty steadily, but I want to add something now. Suppose tomorrow, a 300 foot tidal wave came out of nowhere and knocked out all of a small city in Maine. Do we: Build a 350 foot wall around all coastal cities? Legislate against tidal waves? Not allow any coastal cities? Or maybe we just look at better ways of identifying when that tidal wave might hit and accept that was a one in a million that will probably never happen again, even if we do nothing.

What if it's not a natural disaster and something caused by man...and it happened three times in the last 6 months?

BTW-they are looking into permanent tidal walls on the East coast to avoid disasters like Sandy again.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/18/12 2:22 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: And that in this age of watchlists, wiretapping and electronic surveillance, the US government can't legally keep a database of gun owners...buying fertilizer will draw more attention.

Keeping a list may be illegal for the federal government, but the city of seattle definitely keeps one.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
12/18/12 2:23 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote:
What if it's not a natural disaster and something caused by man...and it happened three times in the last 6 months? BTW-they are looking into permanent tidal walls on the East coast to avoid disasters like Sandy again.

Massacres are actually trending downward. No changes in policy or culture have happened drastically enough that something new caused more issues in the past six months.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/18/12 2:26 p.m.
Cone_Junky wrote: What if it's not a natural disaster and something caused by man...and it happened three times in the last 6 months?

Hey! We already have a thread for "crazy talk" about man-made "natural" disasters

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HmUBL5lxsBRft68qDJEjiDxBQmMIoRY8N9rggoC6xseB7WA5eSUc4QgPIfXPrVGf