JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/18/12 6:15 p.m.

Thanks, Javelin. Good info.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/18/12 6:22 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: And that in this age of watchlists, wiretapping and electronic surveillance, the US government can't legally keep a database of gun owners...buying fertilizer will draw more attention.
Keeping a list may be illegal for the federal government, but the city of seattle definitely keeps one.

I just read that Massachusetts requires registration of all guns within its borders. Anybody from MA care to offer some details?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/18/12 7:08 p.m.

I am going to pose the Elephant question in the room.

How many of these nutbags shot up a couple of dozen people before the Government banned asylums?

This is serious question, I do wish to know.

alex
alex UltraDork
12/18/12 7:26 p.m.
ransom
ransom SuperDork
12/18/12 7:27 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

While we certainly don't have a good answer for what to do with people once we figure out they've got mental problems, it seems like even if we did, a lot of these folks wouldn't have been out of whack enough to commit.

That is, I think that the biggest problem is figuring out how to figure out who needs help. Once we figure that out, maybe there will be greater impetus to devote resources to helping them.

To address your elephant, I suspect that in some cases that basically will amount to helping them not kill people by keeping them contained, but that's a very specific answer to what I think is still a broader question.

Of course, all this is just where I went, off the cuff, from your question. I'm sure there are many other ways to look at it.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
12/18/12 7:29 p.m.

FWIW: Interesting point heard on one of the talking head shows - most, if not all of these recent shootings occured in "gun free zones." If you want to cause a bloodbath, what better place than one where your law abiding victims will be unarmed? See also: Airplanes.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
12/18/12 7:37 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

See also: Georgia Tech students

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
12/18/12 7:39 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote: In reply to poopshovel: See also: Georgia Tech students

Cathedrals, Churches... Bieber concerts. Wait... no Disney probably has Apache helos or some other E36 M3 an evil empire keeps around. Like death rays.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
12/18/12 7:39 p.m.

see also, banks, hospitals

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
12/18/12 7:47 p.m.

"These guys I know" keep talking about cruising downtown looking like victims. Unfortunately, w...they probably look a little too old to pass as students.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
12/18/12 7:58 p.m.
Will wrote: As for any sort of shell casing or fired bullet registry: I'd no more voluntarily provide a sample to the government than I would my DNA. The 2nd amendment is neat, but I like the 4th as well. Court order or GTFO.

I believe it was glock and ruger that were voluntarily sending them in before the guns were shipped from the factory, along with the serial number. Iirc they fired four rounds, two shells went to the govt and two went with the gun as reference.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/18/12 8:09 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I am going to pose the Elephant question in the room. How many of these nutbags shot up a couple of dozen people before the Government banned asylums? This is serious question, I do wish to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deinstitutionalization#United_States

The United States has experienced two waves of deinstitutionalisation. The first wave began in the 1950s and targeted people with mental illness.[1] The second wave began roughly 15 years later and focused on individuals who had been diagnosed with a developmental disability (e.g. mental retardation).[1] Deinstitutionalisation continues today, though the movements are growing smaller as fewer people are sent to institutions.
JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/18/12 8:13 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
Cathedrals, Churches... Bieber concerts. Wait... no Disney probably has Apache helos or some other E36 M3 an evil empire keeps around. Like death rays.

Disney will use these tarted up to actually look like star wars droids

btw,

yamaha
yamaha Dork
12/18/12 8:25 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: soooo i should stop using the brass brush on mine?

Probably, the nylon is better for it. I dipped my cleaning rods in wax as well to protect the barrel as well.

Possibly overboard precautions, but I take care seriously.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
12/18/12 8:32 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Smart choice, id be more worried about a 30 carbine m1 up close than a .223 from an evil assault rifle. Plus you wouldn't have to worry so much about going straight through.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/18/12 8:42 p.m.

BTW, Senator Feinstein has a press release giving some details about the updated "assault weapons" ban that she'll be introducing when congress re-convenes.

A summary of key provisions in the updated bill: Stops the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of more than 100 specifically-named firearms as well as certain semiautomatic rifles, handguns and shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds. Stops the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of large-capacity ammunition feeding devices (magazines, strips and drums) capable of accepting more than 10 rounds. Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by: grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment; exempting more than 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting and sporting purposes; and exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.

You may want to call your congress-critters. I have.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
12/19/12 6:50 a.m.

Been sort of following this for a few days now, and haven't seen this discussed, so if I'm re-posting someone else's thoughts, apologies in advance. This has been hinted at but not specifically stated as far as I know. Any "gun control" measure that does not specifically provide for door to door confiscation is going to have no meaningful effect at all. There are already so many of these guns and magazines in circulation that a determined wanna be shooter would have no problem laying their hands on one. If refused a legal purchase, they could (and apparently would), say, murder their mother and take hers. Pretty much everyone who doesn't already have one of these knows someone who does. Don't forget, the Sandy Hook shooter was refused purchase under existing gun laws because he didn't want the wait and background check. If there's one thing Sandy Hook shows, its that, for a sufficiently motivated domestic terrorist, they will find a way. What's more, at least in my community, there are at least couple hundred more in circulation since the gun control talk has started because the shelves at every store that sells them are empty right now.

Realistically, if you want to have a meaningful reduction in availability of high capacity firearms, you've gotta go door to door and collect them up. Anything else is just a "look at me, I did something" on the part of Congress. The sad thing is its likely only the honest, law-abiding citizens that would turn their weapons over. Everyone else is going to give the equivalent of "the dog ate my AR" to the feds. Then what? Are you going to jail people who can't come up with a gun you (the feds) think they should have? Where is the manpower for such a search going to come from? Are you going to compensate the honest owner for their $3000 match grade AR? Where's that money going to come from? Isn't there a real possibility of civil unrest if you start going door to door? Are you going to get warrants to search every home, or just ignore the Constitution? The answers to all these questions are simply too scary, even for those whose knee jerk reaction is "I must do something".

So you do what has been done in the past. You pass laws that have the practical effect of only restricting the rights of honest, law abiding citizens, pat yourself on the back, and have a big signing ceremony for the press.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
12/19/12 7:08 a.m.

Gun control? Unpossible. When I was in HS, a buddy used to make his own out of small pieces of galvanized pipe, firecrackers and ball bearings. Sure, they weren't very powerful and the range kinda sucked, but the point is when there's a will there's a way and all the legislation in the world won't stop that.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
12/19/12 7:19 a.m.

FOX News is reporting President Obama will create a gun control task force.

that's all

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/19/12 7:35 a.m.
Curmudgeon wrote: Gun control? Unpossible. When I was in HS, a buddy used to make his own out of small pieces of galvanized pipe, firecrackers and ball bearings. Sure, they weren't very powerful and the range kinda sucked, but the point is when there's a will there's a way and all the legislation in the world won't stop that.

One of the guys I work on cars with lost his eye making his own gun after his dad took away his revolver.

On another note, i just remembered a certain school district near me, which will remain unnamed, has armed officers posing as students. Don't believe it can be done? I could do it. I do have some wrinkles, but they are barely noticeable. I look young. In uniform, people think I'm 30ish. Out off uniform, 18ish.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/19/12 7:36 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: FOX News is reporting President Obama will create a gun control task force. that's all

Of course they are.

that's all

wbjones
wbjones UberDork
12/19/12 8:14 a.m.

Yahoo news has reported the same thing ... don't know if Yahoo news is considered on par with Fox or MSNBC or somewhere in between

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
12/19/12 8:47 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
fasted58 wrote: FOX News is reporting President Obama will create a gun control task force. that's all
Of course they are. that's all

This could be a good thing. "form a committee" is a common delaying tactic. It can allow the fervor to die down so decisions are not made at the peak of emotions.

rotard
rotard Dork
12/19/12 9:03 a.m.

This is sad....why not create a mental health task force? There's already plenty of gun control; I want to see insurance control. Force these insurance companies to pay for mental health treatment. Let's spend money researching this stuff. Let's create jobs for real mental health professionals. We really need to understand why some people simply "ain't right."

In other news, I wonder how much all of my "normal capacity" magazines will be worth if a new AWB goes through.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
12/19/12 9:06 a.m.
JoeyM wrote:
N Sperlo wrote:
Of course they are. that's all
This could be a good thing. "form a committee" is a common delaying tactic. It can allow the fervor to die down so decisions are not made at the peak of emotions.

It's actually a great thing. USA made gun sales and parts are about to skyrocket.

Barak Obama: The worlds best gun salesman.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oLVBddIrU6K5cJ36SnCD0jCi4p0RFsBUjvFCwJZPNi6EChuEBifhfl4aZJJGRhZm