N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/10/13 9:52 a.m.

In reply to yamaha:

Thinks will get dark for sure. Your idea (similar to mine) is kind of a best result from a bad situation.

BTW, last night in the neighborhood I work in, there was a shooting. The shooter was shot (then arrested) and the responding shooter was thanked. This had been happening a lot in this neighborhood recently.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/10/13 9:56 a.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Yes, but the waiting period should also have an expiration date on it.....All it does is effect law abiding citizens. Restrictions are not the answer, nor have they ever been. Its always just been the easiest thing they could do to keep up appearances.

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
1/10/13 10:39 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to Curmudgeon: Thanks. Much more informative. Nothing against you, toyman, but when you bring forward something that raises my eyebrow, I need more info.

Sorry, I didn't have time this morning to track that down. Thanks to Curmudgeon for posting it up.

It kind of raised my eyebrows too. I get the feeling that this fight will never end. Congress isn't smart enough to come up with reasonable legislation. I don't see where the President has any authority to deal with it through executive order. If he goes that route the court battles should be epic.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/10/13 10:42 a.m.

Ok I don't understand at all the reasoning behind making buying ammo offline illegal. It seems like that would be a lot more trackable then buying with cash locally....

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/10/13 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Epic without a doubt. I don't see it going far.

Yamaha, we have no waiting period. Background checks can be done quickly. I've never had to wait more than a few minutes. Pistol or rifle.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/10/13 10:46 a.m.

Ammunition shouldn't be regulated period......if they're arguing for it, its because they've already or are wanting to, impose a quota of how much a local retailer can sell at one time to someone.

Sperlo, I agree with that.......I'm the only one with my name in the country, so its effin quick. However, as I stated, that should be on the table as a compromise, not restricting firearms. It should also have an expiration date or exempt those who hold licenses/permits.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/10/13 11:06 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to yamaha: Thinks will get dark for sure. Your idea (similar to mine) is kind of a best result from a bad situation. BTW, last night in the neighborhood I work in, there was a shooting. The shooter was shot (then arrested) and the responding shooter was thanked. This had been happening a lot in this neighborhood recently.

this guy? http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/356100/3/Man-flourishing-gun-is-shot-arrested-in-north-city

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/10/13 12:21 p.m.

Georgia woman shoots intruder:

http://amarillo.com/news/latest-news/2013-01-09/georgia-woman-shoots-intruder-5-times

It's a good thing she didn't have more bullets in that gun to defend herself, right Feinstein? That's the POLICE'S job. Lucky for her, it only took them 11 minutes to get there. (rolleyes.)

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
1/10/13 12:49 p.m.

YAY! Another one... http://www.ibtimes.com/taft-high-school-shooting-2-shot-kern-county-california-alleged-shooter-police-custody-report

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/10/13 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo:

You got it. Beautiful North Saint Louis.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/10/13 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Cone_Junky:

These are places with strict gun laws, too.

stroker
stroker Dork
1/10/13 1:15 p.m.

the problem with the argument is that the Antis are simply trying to mask their ultimate intent which is a disarmed population. You can NEVER get a bunch of antis to sit down and say, "Okay, we think reasonable laws are X, Y and Z." then stick to them. When those laws fail then it's time to trot out the greiving survivors, pound the pulpit and get ready for another round of laws that will make no difference.

At least I'm being honest in my position. I, as a member of the unorganized militia, should be able to walk into a hardware store, slap my credit card on the counter and walk out with a belt-fed machine gun. I can make the legal argument. End of story.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/10/13 1:17 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

LOL. You read the AK-47 Shovel thread, didn't you?

rotard
rotard Dork
1/10/13 1:17 p.m.

Most people suck with automatic weapons, anyway.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/10/13 1:19 p.m.

In reply to rotard:

I bet I would. Don't even want one.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/10/13 1:31 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to rotard: I bet I would. Don't even want one.

The range near me rents a few for range use (as well as the .500 S&W revolver). I haven't tried (yet), but those that have end up with a target full of more-or-less equally spaced holes, even at really close range. It's just silly. Silly, silly fun, but I can't see it being much use unless you're truly out in the open desert with targets everywhere.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/10/13 1:33 p.m.

By me, one has some 9mm FA 30 round guns. Tec-9 or Uzi. Probably some ripoff.

ransom
ransom SuperDork
1/10/13 1:41 p.m.
stroker wrote: the problem with the argument is that the Antis are simply trying to mask their ultimate intent which is a disarmed population. You can NEVER get a bunch of antis to sit down and say, "Okay, we think reasonable laws are X, Y and Z." then stick to them.

I'd like to respectfully refer you to the prior twenty-odd pages of this thread. We didn't exactly solve everything, but it sounded like a pretty reasonable discussion to me.

I'm not going to rehash it all here, but I certainly haven't been masking any intent. I would note that this sort of broad-brush generalization is also not conducive to having a reasonable talk.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/10/13 1:43 p.m.

there's a range like that here that rents a couple, mp5, and an AK-47, but the range is indoor and only like 20 or 25 yards, and they limit caliber iirc.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/10/13 1:52 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo:

If you limit certain calibers to lead only, its not usually a problem.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/10/13 2:00 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

they limit to brass case only, no steel or aluminum (presumably so they can collect and reload), also don't allow any commercial reloads, FMJ or JHP only, no magnum loads, maximum caliber is .45.

they have a good selection of "class III" rentals though:
UZI CLASS III 9 MM
COLT CLASS III 9 MM
STEN CLASS III 9 MM
FN P90 CLASS III 5.7
Thompson CLASS III 45 ACP

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/10/13 2:09 p.m.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/10/13 2:14 p.m.

Back in November we had a G18 out at my "Private Range" err, I mean path down my fields......surprisingly, it was reasonably controllable in 4-5 shot blips of the trigger.

As stated before though, individuals can't own those(which is why I won't support the NRA)....

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/10/13 2:17 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to rotard: I bet I would. Don't even want one.

We had a friend years ago with a full auto .45 MAC-10. You'd spend 10 minutes loading up the 40-rd stick, then 5 seconds emptying it. You couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it and hte muzzle rise.... holy crap. It was a true "spray and pray" weapon.

While that was fun for a few mags, it just wasn't for me. I could control a 7.62 AK semi-auto much easier and actually hit what I was pointing at (ours had canted sights and a floppy stock, there was no "aiming").

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/10/13 2:43 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CzgtYdheambRLwBP4DdNl7ess7JFTqobSxfIRscmzliyLHTk6wynVEZ7fHdBJpS5