Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/16/13 3:48 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: In order news, has anyone seen the rush on guns and ammo slow down at all?

nope. i got an email from cheaper than dirt saying they had mags back in stock, including black pmags and by the time i clicked the link either the site never updated or was already back out of stock. the only hi-cap still in stock is $400 beta mag drums or $100 30 round USGI issued mags. everything else is out of stock, no backorder.

i have just about everything for my 6.8 build ordered or on backorder right now from various places, i figure I'll be able to put the first rounds through it sometime in mid-March, if i have the time to do the assembly.

Stag has a notice on their website that they are backordered 2 years in rifles, complete uppers, lowers and bolt carrier groups. they are only taking online orders for select in-stock items and have pulled the entire staff from their regular jobs to pack and ship orders. and they'll be able to start taking phone orders again sometime in March.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/16/13 3:51 p.m.

Dang it I was planning on buying a snub nose .38 and a bunch of ammo but I don't feel like dealing with crowds at the local gun shop. I had been planning on that pre-rush and just keep delaying.

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
1/16/13 3:58 p.m.

Not slowing down much around here. I was finally able to pick up a brick of .22 LR this week. For about the last month, no one has had more than 100 round boxes, then only oddball makes. Pretty much no guns, except for a few used AR's on consignment at 3-4X retail.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/16/13 3:58 p.m.
Strizzo wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: In order news, has anyone seen the rush on guns and ammo slow down at all?
nope. i got an email from cheaper than dirt saying they had mags back in stock, including black pmags and by the time i clicked the link either the site never updated or was already back out of stock. the only hi-cap still in stock is $400 beta mag drums or $100 30 round USGI issued mags. everything else is out of stock, no backorder. i have just about everything for my 6.8 build ordered or on backorder right now from various places, i figure I'll be able to put the first rounds through it sometime in mid-March, if i have the time to do the assembly. Stag has a notice on their website that they are backordered 2 years in rifles, complete uppers, lowers and bolt carrier groups. they are only taking online orders for select in-stock items and have pulled the entire staff from their regular jobs to pack and ship orders. and they'll be able to start taking phone orders again sometime in March.

Screw CTD. Their antics with this are beyond reproachable and IMO they can DIAF.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/16/13 4:00 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Dang it I was planning on buying a snub nose .38 and a bunch of ammo but I don't feel like dealing with crowds at the local gun shop. I had been planning on that pre-rush and just keep delaying.

Handguns are at least still reasonably priced. I had been planning picking up either a mini-14 or something along that line right before the panic buy. Now there's no chance of that happening.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/16/13 4:02 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Dang it I was planning on buying a snub nose .38 and a bunch of ammo but I don't feel like dealing with crowds at the local gun shop. I had been planning on that pre-rush and just keep delaying.

oh, there probably won't be much of a crowd, considering that they won't have much of what people want, which is ammo and proposed-to-be-banned assault weapons. you might be able to work a pretty decent deal on a snub .38 from the consignment case from someone looking to free up some capital for one of the "scary" guns.

Will
Will Dork
1/16/13 7:25 p.m.

I'd be shocked to see prices return to pre-panic levels inside of 12 months.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
1/16/13 7:58 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Strizzo wrote:
nope. i got an email from cheaper than dirt saying they had mags back in stock, including black pmags and by the time i clicked the link either the site never updated or was already back out of stock. the only hi-cap still in stock is $400 beta mag drums or $100 30 round USGI issued mags. everything else is out of stock, no backorder. i have just about everything for my 6.8 build ordered or on backorder right now from various places, i figure I'll be able to put the first rounds through it sometime in mid-March, if i have the time to do the assembly. Stag has a notice on their website that they are backordered 2 years in rifles, complete uppers, lowers and bolt carrier groups. they are only taking online orders for select in-stock items and have pulled the entire staff from their regular jobs to pack and ship orders. and they'll be able to start taking phone orders again sometime in March.
Screw CTD. Their antics with this are beyond reproachable and IMO they can DIAF.

Cheaper than dirt was the the place I shopped when I was first getting into guns. I don't think I have shopped there in 10 years. lol.

I knew 30 round mags would go up in price but $100!?! I got mine for $8.95 each or something like that... sheesh.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
1/16/13 7:59 p.m.
Will wrote:

Agreed.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/16/13 8:06 p.m.

I'm almost sold out of ammo.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/16/13 8:43 p.m.
Will wrote:

If an awb doesn't occur, there will be an influx of people selling AR's......I'm just glad the magazines I'll need are still not backordered to high hell and back. I'm also thank full that RRA hasn't bumped the prices.

Bobzilla, get in touch with 21st century......they will help out a fellow hoosier without gouging.

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
1/16/13 8:50 p.m.

I've been trying to find a Mini-14 for a couple of weeks now. Not happening. Everyone is out of stock and can't even guess when they will be in. ATP here in town had probably 50 people in the building and a news crew.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/16/13 9:07 p.m.

I hear there is plenty of 10mm floating around.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
1/16/13 9:09 p.m.

I ordered 10 20-round mags for my SKS right after Conn shooting and while they were originally back-ordered, Bass Pro Shops delivered them the end of last week for the original internet price. Not planning to profiteer, I wanted to get ahead of the curve. Whew!

mattm
mattm New Reader
1/16/13 9:15 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
dinger wrote: flanked by children who wrote him letters after the Newtown shooting.
Biggest crock of E36-M3 ever. Children write letters only because liberally biased teachers make it a class activity. Utilizing their position of authority to A: Implant their beliefs upon the children, and B: coherce into acting upon the beliefs of the teacher should be criminal. I do not think that teachers political views have any place in a classroom. This is something that is rampantly happening.

Seriously? Do we have to go all tin foil hat in this thread? Please start a new thread so that this somewhat reasonable discussion can continue.

mattm
mattm New Reader
1/16/13 10:05 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to rainydave: OK, so he's thinking he can indeed nullify the right to not disclose, or am I confused by this.... The National Safe Gun Ownership Campaign should teach students at a high school level proper handling, safety, accuracy, and maintence as at least an elective course before graduation. You know, basically all the things the Scouts were supposed to teach you before they couldn't anymore.....

I thought the scouts was a waste of time and left in the 5th grade because I tired of listening to their crap. I'm in 5th grade, stop telling me not to pee on myself.

That said, in junior high (7th-9th grade) in my area the deputies (with the help of the NRA I believe) used to do an all student gun safety course. They were smart enough to plan this before hunting season and every student had to attend. I didn't hunt but had relatives who did and I had shot my fair share of weapons by junior high and this class was good. There was a video that they displayed that included multiple go/no-go situations. For example, deer running through the field but an orange vest behind the deer etc etc. It was at least an hour long course and I am pretty sure the NRA was involved. I do miss that version of the NRA vs what we have now.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
1/16/13 10:13 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote:
tuna55 wrote: 14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
This is the really interesting one. The implication is, that the causes are not cut and dry ("Too many guns!" / "Not enough guns!"), and that real research needs to be done to figure out what they are and how to effectively deal with them. This could very well be a first step towards a real, effective plan.

The danger is that they may go for "X% of crimes were committed using POPULAR GUN. We need to ban POPULAR GUN" instead of the more reasonable "X% of POPULAR GUN were used in a crime" when they make decisions

mattm
mattm New Reader
1/16/13 10:15 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: 1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system. 2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system. 3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system. 4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks. 5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun. 6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers. 7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign. 8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission). 9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations. 10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement. 11. Nominate an ATF director. 12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations. 13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime. 14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence. 15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies. 16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes. 17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities. 18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers. 19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education. 20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover. 21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges. 22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations. 23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health. http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/16/obama-using-gun-issue-advance-health-law/

I am actually OK with this. I want to adjust #7:

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

I say that the NRA should be involved in this. Spend more on this than they do lobbying for the gun manufacturers and we will have a good start

In addition to #7, I believe that a concealed carry permit should require something more than a pulse, $20 and an hour of my time. The CC permit should require actual testing (that some might actually fail) and should have to be renewed every 3-5 years. Before you light the torches, I am also in favor of stricter licensing standards for driving and I am much harder on the drivers than the CC holders.

I think that CC holders should be presented with a real test that they might have to practice for. Something that includes a video and go/no-go situations. They should have to re-test every 3-5 years. Some will fail, but as I walk on the street with my twin 3 year olds, I am sometimes far more concerned with the guns I can't see than the guns I can. Remember that these people can barely drive a vehicle and we give them an opportunity to drive a deadly weapon and carry another without any proof that they can operate either OR that their brain is capable of making somewhat rational decisions.

Maybe this is just because I live in Ohio where the people can't drive or shoot but there are plenty of guns and cars...

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
1/16/13 10:43 p.m.

About NY, 7 round max. How long till Ruger makes a NY legal 7/22 magazine...

And backround checks on ammo, including going on a watch list for buying "excessive quantities" of ammo. Does this mean the state is going to know when I buy a 500rd brick of .22LR?

Edit-Ok, ruger offers a 5 round mag. And I guess I need to remove the bird cage I bought and installed last month.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/17/13 1:03 a.m.

In reply to mattm:

From you neighboring state where as you put it, "just throwing money down and having a pulse" to get a handgun license that never expires, yet I'm pretty positive we also have less crime than you guys. Cleveland makes up for us having gary threefold.

Edit: You want a real acid trip, ours isn't even a CCW....open or concealed doesn't matter. Not to mention here, you could legally walk down the street with a long gun with absolutely no license/permit

SCARRMRCC
SCARRMRCC New Reader
1/17/13 7:31 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: And backround checks on ammo, including going on a watch list for buying "excessive quantities" of ammo. Does this mean the state is going to know when I buy a 500rd brick of .22LR?

honestly, who cares if they do? Hell, I would buy my ammo FROM THE GOVERNMENT, if they would give me a good price on it.

the only people that think 2,000 rounds is a lot, are people that don't understand guns. 2,000 rounds is easy used up in a day at the range, between me and my buddies.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/17/13 7:57 a.m.
SCARRMRCC wrote:
neon4891 wrote: And backround checks on ammo, including going on a watch list for buying "excessive quantities" of ammo. Does this mean the state is going to know when I buy a 500rd brick of .22LR?
honestly, who cares if they do? Hell, I would buy my ammo FROM THE GOVERNMENT, if they would give me a good price on it. the only people that think 2,000 rounds is a lot, are people that don't understand guns. 2,000 rounds is easy used up in a day at the range, between me and my buddies.

I'm with this guy. I don't give a flying berkeley. I'm not doing anything illegal.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/17/13 8:03 a.m.

In reply to mattm:

quite a few states already require an 8-hour CC course with written and shooting test at the end. I know that at least Texas requires renewal every year, probably quite a few states already do as well, since texas reciprocates with a lot of other states (meaning that they see their CC requirements as equal or tougher than here).

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/17/13 8:24 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
SCARRMRCC wrote:
honestly, who cares if they do? Hell, I would buy my ammo FROM THE GOVERNMENT, if they would give me a good price on it. the only people that think 2,000 rounds is a lot, are people that don't understand guns. 2,000 rounds is easy used up in a day at the range, between me and my buddies.
I'm with this guy. I don't give a flying berkeley. I'm not doing anything illegal.

I do. A.) its none of their business. and 2.) it's NONE OF THEIR berkeleyING BUSINESS.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/17/13 8:27 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

It is your right to give a berkeley.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bGSJOr0Iy9OVd0rWvNsWBATpdViQumUnbdSZEmVL6Xce2Z0uXOUaiQq2I30HDu0A