Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/17/13 12:49 p.m.

true... everything I've bought from a gun show has been through dealers.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/17/13 1:11 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
yamaha wrote: In reply to aircooled: Personally owned at a gun show are generally not transferred via the 4473 and NICS check....if the person selling is a FFL(dealer), you can bet your arse theres a 4473 and NICS check done. 90%+ at gun shows are done through dealers. I bought my M1 at a gun show from an old man at a booth. He worked for the shop, but the rifle was from his personal collection.
In some states all transactions require a check, in some states just handguns.

for private sales yes, ALL firearms sold via a FFL gun dealer is federally required to have a 4473 and background check call.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/17/13 1:18 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to tuna55: I was expecting that.

Really?

tuna55 wrote: No way dude, you look like a gentleman to me
N Sperlo wrote: Cuz I'm seedy looking.

Shazam!

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/17/13 1:21 p.m.

LOL, you made a mistake in your ninja edit.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/17/13 1:24 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: LOL, you made a mistake in your ninja edit.

hahahahaha, ninja-fixed

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/17/13 1:39 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

A true ninja in mind control, you are.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/17/13 1:41 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: And it rarely happens anyways, because people normally put new prices on their used E36 M3 they carry around.....

For sure. My friend sold a pre-ban Cobray for $400.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/17/13 2:42 p.m.

The only thing is, background checks on private sales can only be enforced if the weapon was purchased originally after the requirement to do so(or else it'd be obvious). Currently owned weapons could be sold at hearts content to whomever without fear of reprisal. Unless, they required all firearms owners to register all their weapons.....which would meet horrifying levels of resistance.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/17/13 3:03 p.m.
yamaha wrote: The only thing is, background checks on private sales can only be enforced if the weapon was purchased originally after the requirement to do so(or else it'd be obvious). Currently owned weapons could be sold at hearts content to whomever without fear of reprisal. Unless, they required all firearms owners to register all their weapons.....which would meet horrifying levels of resistance.

that would be only if a) the gun was old enough that it never was sold via a gun dealer and form 4473 when new, and b) always exchanged hands via private, face-to-face transactions. there are likely to be a lot of guns like this, but probably not enough to get up in a twist about, lest it become the "family gun loophole."

most of the guns in circulation today have been listed on a 4473 recently enough that the person that bought it originally would be able to tell who they sold it to, and them who they sold it to, and so on. a guy on ARFCOM mentioned that he got a call that a Glock he had purchased new and sold privately was used in a suicide, and it only took the detectives about 40 minutes to track him down. they go to the manufacturer, who tells them what dealer the gun went to, then they call the dealer, who tells them who bought the gun.

LEOs aren't limited to sifting through file boxes like has been implied, either.

in other news: some Democrat senators from rural states up for election in 2014 have expressed that they probably won't support the proposed gun control legislation http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/277783-vulnerable-senate-democrats-balk-at-obamas-gun-measures

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/17/13 3:36 p.m.

The person on the 4473 is easy enough to find.....the ones after, not so much(which was my point) I refuse to collect names as long as I am not required to by law...mainly because, I wouldn't want someone else having my address, name, etc sitting in their possession. As stated before, I do however keep records of serial #, description, price, date, and location sold.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/18/13 7:30 a.m.

Apparently 7.62x39 is on back order until October. I don't shoot a ton, but I'm buying into a bulk load a friend just ordered. Well, he ordered it a while back, but its on it's way.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
1/18/13 9:25 a.m.

I am in an argument with my mom on facebook cause she thinks we should ban online ammo sales and put a massive tax on ammo.

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
1/18/13 9:34 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: I am in an argument with my mom on facebook cause she thinks we should ban online ammo sales and put a massive tax on ammo.

yours and mine should talk - mine thinks semi-automatic rifles are new and evil and only used for killing innocent babies.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
1/18/13 9:40 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote: I am in an argument with my mom on facebook cause she thinks we should ban online ammo sales and put a massive tax on ammo.
yours and mine should talk - mine thinks semi-automatic rifles are new and evil and only used for killing innocent babies.

Y'all's mom's suck. Mine wants an AK.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/18/13 9:44 a.m.

my dad seems to want an AR.....I told him, "don't be foolish, there are better things out there"

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
1/18/13 11:45 a.m.

I have stayed away from this topic until now. The police in NY are angry that the new gun laws applies to them as well as the public. I too would like to have the necessary ammunition to save my life.

Cops are complaining about the lack of a double standard:

"As a law enforcement officer for over 20 years, I understand the importance of instituting a new policy on mandating the limits of bullets that a regular citizen can possess, but as a matter of fact the bad guys are not going to follow this law," said Norman Seabrook, president of the correction officers union, the city's second largest.

"The way the current legislation is drafted, it actually handcuffs the law enforcement community from having the necessary ammunition needed to save lives," he said. "We must not allow this to happen

The rest is here.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/18/cops-are-outraged-that-new-yorks-new-mag#fold

rotard
rotard Dork
1/18/13 11:57 a.m.
pilotbraden wrote: I have stayed away from this topic until now. The police in NY are angry that the new gun laws applies to them as well as the public. I too would like to have the necessary ammunition to save my life. Cops are complaining about the lack of a double standard: "As a law enforcement officer for over 20 years, I understand the importance of instituting a new policy on mandating the limits of bullets that a regular citizen can possess, but as a matter of fact the bad guys are not going to follow this law," said Norman Seabrook, president of the correction officers union, the city's second largest. "The way the current legislation is drafted, it actually handcuffs the law enforcement community from having the necessary ammunition needed to save lives," he said. "We must not allow this to happen The rest is here. http://reason.com/blog/2013/01/18/cops-are-outraged-that-new-yorks-new-mag#fold

Haha, people will be safer if the NYPD is limited to 7 rounds per magazine. They do like shooting innocent by standers.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/18/13 12:20 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:

You know what? I have to give them props for this oversight even though I doubt this was intentional. If the public has 7, why should LEO's need more than 7 as well.....

Also, +1 rotard......

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
1/18/13 12:45 p.m.

So I didn't have a big/urgent desire to get an AR until folks got serious about saying no. Have to admit I have enjoyed shooting a friend's AR. I'm not fired up on paying a massive fear premium either - would picking up a receiver and building one later be a decent strategy or am I just playing into it?

rotard
rotard Dork
1/18/13 12:53 p.m.
oldtin wrote: So I didn't have a big/urgent desire to get an AR until folks got serious about saying no. Have to admit I have enjoyed shooting a friend's AR. I'm not fired up on paying a massive fear premium either - would picking up a receiver and building one later be a decent strategy or am I just playing into it?

Check out the prices on receivers.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/18/13 12:56 p.m.
oldtin wrote: So I didn't have a big/urgent desire to get an AR until folks got serious about saying no. Have to admit I have enjoyed shooting a friend's AR. I'm not fired up on paying a massive fear premium either - would picking up a receiver and building one later be a decent strategy or am I just playing into it?

Gl finding a stripped lower right now, most places say they are back ordered up to two years. Even if you can find one, its a huge PITA to find all the rest of the stuff you'll need to build a complete rifle.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/18/13 1:10 p.m.

The last bare AR lowers I saw for sale were going for close to $400.....parts are stupid right now too. I suppose I should have bought all the Deleware Machine and NOBO12 lower recievers back in Sept for $50-60 a pop

But yes, if you can find a lower reciever and some "fear mongered" magazines, you'll be good. That said, Rock River Arms probably still has some of their stuff on non-indefinite backorders....

rotard
rotard Dork
1/18/13 1:40 p.m.

Hmmm...I could always be convinced to sell my Colt LE6920....

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/18/13 1:54 p.m.
yamaha wrote: The last bare AR lowers I saw for sale were going for close to $400.....parts are stupid right now too. I suppose I should have bought all the Deleware Machine and NOBO12 lower recievers back in Sept for $50-60 a pop But yes, if you can find a lower reciever and some "fear mongered" magazines, you'll be good. That said, Rock River Arms probably still has some of their stuff on non-indefinite backorders....

RRA will let you order, but all i got was a confirmation that i put the order in, they won't even give you a shipping estimate at this point. similar deal at Stag but they calculated shipping and probably charged my card when i placed the order.

right now i am waiting on my LPK, upper receiver, barrel, buttstock, bolt carrier group, muzzle device and mag to be delivered or shipped.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/18/13 3:43 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo:

Right now, you might as well buy an LAR-8 through RRA......they actually have a demand for their AR pattern rifles in normal circumstances that usually leads to custom orders anyways. They had a year waiting list when I got mine in 2007. I meant some of their rifles are probably still in stock, if you're going to shell out $1500+ for a bare bones AR, you might as well buy a FAL or LAR-8 in .308 caliber for $1600-2000

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xUWCHr6iuhrKv6PpmHCKblzj2FWO8o7iijuzsxSqelK721eBBqCsJUlWaf7w8DcY