Will
Will Dork
1/18/13 6:05 p.m.

If everyone looking for an AR, AK or magazines right now would just write their elected officials, you'd still be able to find what you're looking for in a year when the prices return to normal.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/18/13 11:24 p.m.

Agreed.....there should be an overabundance of them when the speculators lose their asses. Although, most of them have probably unloaded the maxing of credit cards at normal price and doubled their money by now......yay free enterprise.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/19/13 10:02 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Strizzo: Right now, you might as well buy an LAR-8 through RRA......they actually have a demand for their AR pattern rifles in normal circumstances that usually leads to custom orders anyways. They had a year waiting list when I got mine in 2007. I meant some of their rifles are probably still in stock, if you're going to shell out $1500+ for a bare bones AR, you might as well buy a FAL or LAR-8 in .308 caliber for $1600-2000

Well I'm not building a regular old 5.56 ar, it's a 6.8spc, or will be if everything ever shows up.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/19/13 11:14 a.m.

Yea, my friend was wishing he built a 300 blackout now......he was in no huddle mode back in Nov to build his 3, so he settled on 5.56's. Ones a full length for coyotes, ones a mid length 18", and ones a carbine 16"......I think he foresaw this mess.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/19/13 11:27 a.m.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/19/13 2:04 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

If I had a can for it, I'd probably build a 300 blk for it, but I don't, so 6.8 it is. This will probably be my deer gun as well.

Will
Will Dork
1/19/13 2:48 p.m.

Went to a local gun store today for the first time in months just to see how crazy it was. They had tons of inventory--WASR AKs for $1600 and ARs starting at $2400. Under some .223 reloads selling for $1.20/round was a sign that said "Due to the shortage, please limit the size of your ammo purchase."

Edit: oh yeah, forgot the $80 Pmags.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
1/19/13 3:10 p.m.

Lets keep an eye out for ammunition to return to post panic levels.

Post any good links plz

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
1/19/13 3:24 p.m.
mattm wrote: In addition to #7, I believe that a concealed carry permit should require something more than a pulse, $20 and an hour of my time. The CC permit should require actual testing (that some might actually fail) and should have to be renewed every 3-5 years. Before you light the torches, I am also in favor of stricter licensing standards for driving and I am much harder on the drivers than the CC holders. Maybe this is just because I live in Ohio where the people can't drive or shoot but there are plenty of guns and cars...

Not sure where you got your info but it is completely wrong. Ohio requires an 8 hour course including a pass/fail examination and an actual range shoot.

It is also renewed every 5 years, I just renewed mine/

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo UberDork
1/19/13 3:38 p.m.

My Concealed Carry class was a little over 8 hours, with range test and written test. Not everyone in my class passed the range portion either.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/19/13 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo:

I am still pretty sure you can fire .30 carbine through a blackout...... case length was within 1/32"

Edit: also glad I will never have to renew my carry license......

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
1/19/13 4:35 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: Lets keep an eye out for ammunition to return to post panic levels. Post any good links plz

I just picked up 1000rds of Federal .40 S&W for $365 locally. I thought that was pretty much normal price for them.

Strizzo
Strizzo UberDork
1/19/13 5:42 p.m.

In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker:

Midway seems to have most pistol calibers in stock in everything but the bulk packaging.

stroker
stroker Dork
1/19/13 6:30 p.m.
yamaha wrote: my dad seems to want an AR.....I told him, "don't be foolish, there are better things out there"

"Why, Dad, are there some poodles you need to shoot?"

stroker
stroker Dork
1/19/13 6:33 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: In reply to Giant Purple Snorklewacker: Midway seems to have most pistol calibers in stock in everything but the bulk packaging.

I checked the inventory Thursday or Friday at work. There were, count 'em, SEVENTY ONE sku's on the shelf for all types of ammunition. That's it. We received a big load of Hornady components and I bet it's gone already.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
1/19/13 7:18 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

Do you work at Midway?

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
1/19/13 7:27 p.m.
Anti-stance wrote: In reply to stroker: Do you work at Midway?

Thad would be some tasty good news.....

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
1/19/13 7:58 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Anti-stance wrote: In reply to stroker: Do you work at Midway?
Thad would be some tasty good news.....

ME FIRST! ME FIRST!

stroker
stroker Dork
1/20/13 7:48 a.m.

In reply to Anti-stance:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaybe.

And that's the way it is.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
1/20/13 12:25 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

That's pretty cool. I had bought a few items from there when I was building an AR pistol.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
1/20/13 1:33 p.m.

One of my co-workers is a gun nut. He has been going off for weeks now about how soon all you can have is a single shot gun.. and eventually they will come for that soon.

he is also going on about how once the new rules go through, he is going to have to declare his arsenal "stolen" and hide everything.

Sorry buddy, stop drinking the koolaid, you are not helping anything

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
1/20/13 2:01 p.m.

Stroker, where are my mags I ordered two months ago?

stroker
stroker Dork
1/20/13 3:56 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: Stroker, where are my mags I ordered two months ago?

Berkeley you.

Depending on which magazines you ordered, I'm told they had (at one point) up to 37,000 on backorder. What I found incredible was that they were sold out of 30-30 ammunition. That staggers me.

stroker
stroker Dork
1/20/13 3:58 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Ask him if he knows what paranoid means.

That doesn't mean the black helicopters aren't still on the way, though.

Anti-stance
Anti-stance SuperDork
1/20/13 4:13 p.m.
stroker wrote: In reply to mad_machine: Ask him if he knows what paranoid means. That doesn't mean the black helicopters aren't still on the way, though.

All of the people I work with are buying guns and ammo right now. I learned my lesson a few years ago during the "their gonna take our weapons scare - 2009". I will patiently wait for "normal" prices again.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yaUA9GQEUJgA0a39xkJgZ29qJocy09JxZWEHzUGB2CqynaDnMOVItSszGxWTEpMW