914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/26/23 8:16 a.m.

New to me, but pretty interesting.  It's a city, 100 miles long in a straight line in Saudi Arabia.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
4/26/23 8:38 a.m.

It's an interesting idea but there is no way I could live in it. 9 million people living in a 200-meter by 170 km wall? That sounds like a NYC subway during rush hour. 

I'm also curious where the 2.25+ million acres of farmland is that will be required to feed 9 million people. 

The whole Saudi Arabia connections would be a turnoff as well. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/26/23 8:44 a.m.

Yeah I have, whoever designed that thing clearly has no concept of serial access problems.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
4/26/23 9:10 a.m.

More dollars than sense.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
4/26/23 9:32 a.m.

Yes, live how you like, as long as it agrees with what one person says (who got the job because he was the son of the previous one).  Question that?  Get dissected while you are alive then have your parts thrown into a vat of acid never to be seen again.

Paradise.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/27/23 2:31 a.m.

I love how it's going to save the planet.....  I'm sure the environmental impact of all that earth moving equipment and concrete is negligible.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/27/23 6:49 a.m.

Talk about environmental impact, they have to import their sand for the concrete. 

Desert sand is largely useless to us. The overwhelming bulk of the sand we harvest goes to make concrete, and for that purpose, desert sand grains are the wrong shape. Eroded by wind rather than water, they are too smooth and rounded to lock together to form stable concrete.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AmpKd6ndcbItfgCLRlHi0a2ibmFnlySR7eJ7dErdyka8rhtZgUOdcyRE7DAF6MU2