1 2
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/2/24 8:59 a.m.

Ok GRMers, got one from the vault for you, and since yall are generally smarter than me, I need help figuring this out and potentially prototyping it. 

I need a shape. Specifically a toroid. A donut, if you will. EXCEPT, I need the cross section of the "cylinder" of the donut to be triangular. so like when you roll out a tube of dough, before you make it into a donut, and you squish that tube so it's three sided long ways. google tells me it's called a traingular prism. SO- I need a toroid made of an equilateral triangular prism joined at the ends. EXCEPT....

I need a 120* twist in it. a one third rotation in the triangle. why? I have a theory. I know how a mobius strip works, where it's technically one sided. In my head at least, this triangular toroid with the twist in it works the same way. And I want to make a continuously flowing piece of art on it that runs back into itself. Three sided. Why? Because CLEARLY I should have been a pot head, despite never having ingested a marijuana voluntarily in my life. ( I can't speak for contact highs). I could theoretically do it in clay, but I'm looking for a cleaner material. Any thoughts? Ideas? 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
5/2/24 9:05 a.m.

Sounds like an application for cad and a 3d printer. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
5/2/24 9:07 a.m.

I'm sure that's possible in OnShape or other free software. At this time I can't mess with it, but maybe over the weekend???

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
5/2/24 9:07 a.m.

Tinkercad is very much like sticker designs in Forza, and you're damn good at those

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
5/2/24 9:18 a.m.

Done, where do I send it and what file format?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/2/24 9:32 a.m.

Well.....E36 M3. I wasn't expecting it THAT fast. Ummmm....HM. 

What format do 3d printers understand? 

thomas dot larson at geemail dot com

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
5/2/24 9:37 a.m.

Send't.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/2/24 9:48 a.m.

Got it. 

Once again, GRM delivers. 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
5/2/24 9:51 a.m.

Get me a STEP file and I will get a part to Mndsm.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/2/24 10:10 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

get me an email and i'll forward you what nonack has given me. 

This is going too well. I'm scared now. 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
5/2/24 10:16 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Sent

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/2/24 10:45 a.m.

In reply to Slippery :

should be en route. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/2/24 11:01 a.m.

FYI Wed o want to see this when printed cause it kinda hurt my head reading the original post.

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
5/2/24 11:04 a.m.
Mndsm said:

In reply to Slippery :

should be en route. 

Got it, will print a test part tonight. 

What kind of OD/ID are you looking for?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/2/24 11:44 a.m.

ULTIMATELY- pretty big. 15" OD- ID....that's a good question. I'm not really sure. 10-11"

At outset... IDK. Whatever you're comfortable running. I'm not entirely sure how this is going to work. EVENTUALLY I want to make a castable buck so I can mold these things and make em without having to have them printed. I get the feeling they'd sell. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/2/24 11:46 a.m.
NOHOME said:

FYI Wed o want to see this when printed cause it kinda hurt my head reading the original post.

Just wait til you see what I want to do with it. If my theory's correct I'm gonna hurt people. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
5/2/24 11:59 a.m.

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Unrelated, I found a whole skid of triangular tubing over at the laser tube cut building.  Isosceles not equilateral, 2.5 to 3" on the long side.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/2/24 12:12 p.m.
akylekoz said:

Pictures or it didn't happen.

Unrelated, I found a whole skid of triangular tubing over at the laser tube cut building.  Isosceles not equilateral, 2.5 to 3" on the long side.

I have to get the prototypes in hand first. It works in my head, I can't really model it on paper, and the easiest answer was go directly to 3d model. SO- here we are. 

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic SuperDork
5/2/24 12:19 p.m.

Try making a prototype out of 3 strips of poster board.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
5/2/24 3:42 p.m.
Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/2/24 3:55 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Yeah, I'm not THAT cool. realistically any prismatic polygon could be oriented in this fashion and come out this way, in theory. it's a matter of basic math, where a regular mobius is 180* or 360/2, this particular one is 360/3. it should scale indefinitely- as theoretically a circle is just 360*, a cylinder is that + length, and a toroid is just a cylinder turned back into a circle. It gets weird when you take that toroid, put it on its side, turn IT into a cylinder, and then make it into another toroid. This is also infinitely scalable. 

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
5/2/24 5:26 p.m.
VolvoHeretic said:

Try making a prototype out of 3 strips of poster board.

Since it is a mobius "shape" it should be capable of being made with a single flat sheet. Nonack may be able to generate the flat pattern from his model... That could provide you a way try different sizes for the effect you want.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle UberDork
5/2/24 6:11 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

I'm gonna pop some tags cuz this sounds berkeleying awesome. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/2/24 7:08 p.m.
Mndsm said:
NOHOME said:

Just wait til you see what I want to do with it. If my theory's correct I'm gonna hurt people. 

Novel design for a poly-dimensional race slick?

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/2/24 8:28 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Think of all the treads you could have. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xNAucfDgRhxwHaz5ujby4NSlH6YtsoFrdjZQa56jZPY8fzqMNknqVRzntTKABaPM