Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
1/18/24 6:03 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who doesn't like gold. 

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
1/18/24 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

It's easy for a gold watch to be over the top. That one is pretty nice.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/18/24 7:10 p.m.

I'm happy to sell the Earnshaw to any GRMer for the same price or trade it for another watch. 

dxman92
dxman92 SuperDork
2/3/24 6:08 p.m.

I have a Timex Camper in black. It's pretty much brand new. Maybe worn once and it's sat in my nightstand drawer since then. It needs a new battery. I have enough watches and need to make space. If anybody is interested in it, pm me your address and call dibs here. First one and it's yours. I'll send it in the mail no charge. I'll throw in an extra black Nato one piece strap as well. 

TheWraith
TheWraith Reader
2/4/24 7:09 p.m.

Did not know we had a watch thread, may have to round up the collection for photos, down to around 27 in the collection this week. 

Gary
Gary UberDork
2/11/24 8:24 p.m.

So we're taking a trip to sunny, warm South Florida this week. I didn't want to take one of my good watches ... just in case. The worst has happened before. So I picked this up today for twenty bucks.

It's a replacement for tho old one, which needed a battery and band. I bought the new one for less. The old one:

Now I will do something funky with the old one. Stay tuned. 

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
2/11/24 8:54 p.m.

My wife gave me this one for Christmas. I finally got around to sizing the band. 

It's a heavy thing but seems to run well.

Hoondavan
Hoondavan Dork
2/12/24 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Gary :

Nice choice, I have same watch w/orange highlights.  I think I paid ~$23 for it.  I use it primarily for surfing or when I'm doing active stuff outdoors.  You really don't want anything shiny while paddling a surfboard, so this is a much better option than my citizen diver watch.  I've had a few digital timex watches, but they didn't hold up very well.  I had an expensive ($200) Vestal surf watch that stored the tide charts for hundreds of surf breaks...but those watches leaked.  I went through three warranty replacements before the company folded. 

My only complaint w/the Casio is that the bezel is friction-based, so it's difficult to rotate without removing the watch to free it up.

slefain
slefain UltimaDork
2/12/24 5:29 p.m.

Just bought a Samsung Galaxy Watch6 to help keep track of my health. I've got it set to track my stress levels and heart rate throughout the day. Still getting used to the whole smart watch thing, but it is convenient at times. I changed up the face to be pretty much a dashboard of info I want instantly. Taking calls on it is weird, but works.

JAGwinn
JAGwinn Reader
2/13/24 9:09 p.m.

Swiss Army...10 year anniversary from Mitsubishi Motors North America assembly plant in Normal, Ill. Was layed off the next year (along with 1500 others).

Plant closed 7 years later...is now Rivian Electric Vehicle assembly plant.

TheWraith
TheWraith Reader
2/17/24 1:24 p.m.

Been wearing this new one I put together this week, tribute to the Rolex Turnograph

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/18/24 11:30 p.m.

I found and purchased a sweet vintage Longines automatic today. So far I've narrowed it down to 1946-1953. I cannot find the identical dial with the diamond shaped numeral markers and Arabic 12/2/4/6/8/10. This one will be for sale, it's too small for me, but I had to snag it to say I owned one once. 

Did I mention the box?

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
2/22/24 11:44 p.m.

Got the right tools and got the Longines open, it's gorgeous!

I was off on my dating, it's a 1960. I'm waiting to hear back from Longines on what info they have in their archives.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
2/23/24 7:27 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I have a similar watch (appears to be the same case, different face) from around the same time. It was given to my great-uncle when he retired from Ford Motor; the inscription on the back is badly worn, but I can still make out his first name and "From your Ford Friends". Unfortunately, it's sitting in a drawer looking very sad, as I haven't had time or money to pursue getting it refurbished.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
2/25/24 9:18 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Interesting, what's a watch like that worth nowadays?

I just finished my first casioak build. For slightly over $100 all in, I'm pretty happy with it.

dxman92
dxman92 SuperDork
3/10/24 11:02 a.m.

I found a vintage Seiko automatic from probably the 70s or 80s (according to the serial number) for what it looks to be a good price. How are these to maintain?

johndej
johndej SuperDork
3/10/24 11:05 a.m.

I've got a vintage seiko japan 6309 17 jewel movement that I have not done a thing to other than put a band on it after picking up from a thrift store.

ShawnG
ShawnG MegaDork
3/10/24 11:10 a.m.

Seiko automatics are tanks. I have a few of them.

DasAuto
DasAuto MegaDork
3/11/24 12:59 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I bought the tools, so if you want it opened up, I'm happy to give it a go. 

DasAuto
DasAuto MegaDork
3/11/24 1:00 p.m.

In reply to calteg :

I listed it on Chrono24 for $899. If be happy with anything $500 or more. 

MiniDave
MiniDave HalfDork
3/11/24 1:47 p.m.

I have two Rollers.......both bought in the gogo 80's, but I never wear a watch these days, unless it's to dress up for an "event"......

One is an Oyster Perpetual Datejust two tone, the other is a quartz in SS.

spandak
spandak Dork
3/13/24 4:09 p.m.

Put together this thing a few months ago. First GMT build! The crystal isn't so it's scratched up and the dial has embarrassing letter omissions but it runs really well and I just like it. Since break in I think I adjust it once a month or so with daily wear. Can't complain for $100 of Ali parts. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
4/24/24 6:42 p.m.

Just got some cheap straps to zing up my old Seiko quartz.  The punchline is 17mm lug width.  I never could find what I needed and liked but one additional Google search later, CNS watch straps shows up with a fairly big selection for this odd size.  Got 5 straps shipped for $42. Tonight is oiled tan leather.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
4/24/24 9:10 p.m.

Nuthin, at the moment, but when I read that Oris is sponsoring the concourse de Lemons, I got interested... they're one of the only independent Swiss watchmakers, they obviously have a sense of humor, so I started looking at their stuff. hmmmmm I kinda like their pilot watches...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/25/24 12:51 p.m.

My dad has a first or second year spaceview that I am going to send out for his birthday and have repaired and setup for the new battery types. I really like these I never see them in the wild. 

Bulova Accutron Spaceview – Analog:Shift

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wy3xyqZkrLvDoEfZLOGt8SNohElvQxX89bGwdIXL67lEPXSRYwKkwhG0CDH66Amh