1 2
914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
5/27/08 5:44 a.m.
RidgeRunner wrote: I like the GS450 that 914driver has, what I can see of it anyway...

Yeah, sorry about that. I don't know what happened. It may be for sale this week so I'll tanke more pictures.

Dan

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
5/27/08 7:29 a.m.

Picked this up on Sunday...

A new 2006 XL883.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
5/27/08 9:41 a.m.

Been riding since I was 5 years old and have lost count of the number of bikes I have owned. Currently bikeless (both the WR400 and the Hodaka have been sold) but that will be corrected as soon as humanly possible.

jg, when did you get the KX? Last I remember you were riding one of those Chinese Honda knockoffs.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
5/27/08 9:52 a.m.

All my bikes are older than me. I've got a '71 Honda CB750 that I ride to work any day that it's not raining, and a '72 Yamaha CT175 enduro and a '72 Yamaha JT60 mini enduro in hibernation.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/27/08 10:36 a.m.

Nice bike, CrackMonkey. Here's our's:

2.0dohc
2.0dohc New Reader
5/27/08 12:00 p.m.

been riding legal for almost 9 years, dad dropped me off at the dmv with my bike and went home, good thing I passed, been riding dirtbikes for 20+

fewsmall dirtbikes and only a couple street, last one was a 96 seca II would love to get my hands on a sv650s(first gen) but my "job" doesn't pay the bank enough for shiny bikes

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/27/08 12:17 p.m.
CrackMonkey wrote: A new 2006 XL883.

Dang, they held on to that thing for a while, didn't they?! Literally new '06 finally sold in mid '08? Or was it a "new to you" reference?

Bryce

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
5/27/08 12:38 p.m.

K6 DL 650 V Strom. No farkles to speak of. Just shy of 20,000 miles. Just changed rear tire at 18,xxx miles. Front still going strong. Original chain and sprockets, still going strong.

Change the oil and filters, check valve clearances (haven't needed adjusting yet), lube the chain and ride her. My Miata seems so slow and like such a gas guzzler. Oh, and SOOO low to the ground.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
5/27/08 1:17 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Dang, they held on to that thing for a while, didn't they?! Literally new '06 finally sold in mid '08? Or was it a "new to you" reference?

Yeah, new new. '06 was the last year the Sportster came with carbs. The dealer claimed this one came in just before the '07s arrived and everybody passed it over.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
5/27/08 1:26 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: Nice bike, CrackMonkey.

Thanks.

I hadn't planned on a H-D, just lucked into one that was priced right. I went to the dealer to test an '07 SV650 they had leftover (they absorbed the inventory from a local Suzuki shop that closed). My wife likes shiny things, she got talking to the dealer, and before I knew it, I was riding their demo XL1200. It was fun - sort of like a Viper - not real refined, but damn does it put a grin on your face. Crunched some numbers, and taking insurance, resale, and financing into account, the Sportster was a much better deal, even if it was a bit more $$$ up front.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/27/08 1:27 p.m.

Yup, I'm familiar with the injection change....it was one of those "about damn time" changes. ;) So, did you really want a carb, or was it such a good deal you couldn't pass it up? For a carbed 883 that'd been sitting around for that long, I'm guessing they made you a good deal.

Bryce

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/27/08 1:29 p.m.

The new CV carbs might be OK on a 883, but my wife really likes her Megasquirt EFI. She says it's like having an automatic transmission. Just put it in gear and go. When you slow down, you don't have to downshift, just roll on the power.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
5/27/08 1:40 p.m.

No, I didn't really want a carb. The deal was good (could have been great if I had more patience for haggling). I'm not a sucker, just a bit impulsive. :nice:

Plus, the paint matched my helmet :omg:

Dr Hess - did you write up the MegaSquirt installation anywhere?

Nashco
Nashco Dork
5/27/08 2:19 p.m.

I wonder how much work it would take to retrofit a stock EFI setup? If you found somebody parting out an injected Sportster or swapping to carbs, you could get most of the hardware. I'm guessing wiring will be a bit different, but overall less work than a megasquirt would take, I'd imagine. I'm a huge fan of megasquirt, but having all OEM stuff available and lots of aftermarket tuners for the stock ECM does have its advantages.

Bryce

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
5/27/08 2:32 p.m.

I had a message posted on the old board GRM. I think the archive is searchable. That was pretty much all of it. I used a "derivitive" MS work because the microsquirt wasn't available when I did it and I got tired of "any minute now" for a couple of years. I used Buell parts: TB, injectors/intake, rail and an external pump. If you can't find the archived post, I'll up the links to some pics.

I would much prefer a MS injection system than the OEM HD one. I see all the trouble those people have with them getting them tuned. I just put a pentop in my backpack and ride around, then go through the log.

Edit: Here's the writeup: http://archive.grassrootsmotorsports.com/board/viewtopic.php?id=27633

twentyover
twentyover New Reader
5/27/08 4:31 p.m.

Trying to ressurect my 86 Cagiva Alazzura (think Ducati Pantah with better ergo and less sporting pretensions.) Also am working on a rephased Yamaha XS650 that may see duty with AHMRA

aeronca65t
aeronca65t New Reader
5/27/08 4:53 p.m.

I've had a scooter license since '68 and my first bike was a Honda 305 Scrambler.

I'm an earned AMA Life Member mostly because I started running off-road enduros about 30 years ago. I ran the Sandy Lane Enduro, The Meteor and a lot of other east coast events.

My present ride is a Honda 500 Ascot thumper.

Also, we have this dorky pit-bike/ sidecar outfit... :grin:

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
5/27/08 7:52 p.m.

Hey, an Ascot! I was looking for one of those when I bought my GS450. I still think they're neat, although I've been hearing some people have problems finding parts. Not that I haven't had that problem with my bike!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
5/27/08 10:18 p.m.

Been riding off and on for 35 years. More off lately though. I have a 1980 XS650 special in the corner of my garage. Haven't ridden it since I move to north Alabama several years ago.Just haven't got around to fixing it, brakes needed work on it. Now obviously needs more, like tires, handle bars (rusty), mirrors. Can be road worthy for a couple hundred bucks. Finally got that corner cleaned out yesterday and can get to it. Now that the 70 Opel GT is almost finished, I've considered hauling it out and do a quick resto on it before I start the 63 Midget, especially with gas prices the way they are.

Been eyeing the Victory motorcycles. H-D type, Arlen Ness styling and cheaper than H-D.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
5/28/08 6:01 a.m.

My next bike......

This one actually made me U-turn in the city to go back and look at. Parked in front of a diner was what looked like and old Indian. The wheels were powdercoated black, nothing on the handlebars but a mirror. Floorboards, leathery fringes all over, old laquer paint with a big indian on the tank. On my second lap around the bike I noticed the drive shaft. WTF!!! :omg:

It was a Kawasaki Drifter that the owner tarted up to look like an Indian. Nice. The saddle bags hid the shaft, but overall it was nicely done. The base coat/clear coat was striped for a one part paint, the gauges were yellowish and everything looked right.

Now if I only had more time and lots more money....

Dan

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KqtPfO8LC5V2FQ0c870JmXKQqdrDtA9OQl4bQk9S7R3A2EkpKS6QcXJBaJTRQskW