1 2 3 4
ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/18/08 5:19 p.m.
ignorant wrote:
Jensenman wrote: Looks like we will get some of this, probably just rain. I wish the best for you Floridians. North Carolina gets hurricanes on the coast all the time, Wilmington seems to be in the bullseye. Western NC and SC are hurricane free.
thanks for jinxing us

thanx again for the jinx

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/18/08 5:36 p.m.

Check out the 5 day cone. Atlanta appears to be in worse trouble than us.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/205824.shtml?5day#contents

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/18/08 6:01 p.m.

stil.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard
8/18/08 6:23 p.m.

They just canceled school on Tuesday and Wednesday. We've only been back one day!

Spitsix
Spitsix New Reader
8/18/08 6:35 p.m.

What's that big "S" at 2PM Wed doing right over my house!!!!!!

SupraWes
SupraWes HalfDork
8/18/08 9:33 p.m.

Looks like we may be getting an extra day or two off work this week. Hope everyone stays safe.

Redhornet
Redhornet New Reader
8/18/08 10:35 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUqkLEL9Jwg

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/18/08 11:33 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: They just canceled school on Tuesday and Wednesday. We've only been back one day!

Shortly after the local news showed that Flagler County schools were out tomorrow (We live in Flagler, which is one county north of Volusia where world HQ and Tommy's school is. My wife teaches elementary in Flagler)... anyway, just after the news showed that Dana had the day off to gather batteries and ammo, we got the automated call from the school superintendent saying "Do not believe what you have heard on the news media! School will be in session tomorrow and learning WILL take place!" That's almost a direct quote.

Flagler got hosed pretty bad a couple of years ago when they closed down for an approaching storm that turned out to be a dud. After that I think it would take a blood hurricane full of bowling balls made out of knives to close down the schools.

jg

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/19/08 6:41 a.m.

This thing has got one weird 5 day track. It's supposed to make a hard left 90 just about over Jacksonville, then head across toward Tallahassee.

cwh
cwh Dork
8/19/08 6:51 a.m.

Looks like the new World Headquartes is going to get a roof check. We got (are getting) lots of rain in Ft.Lauderdale, but not much wind. Pretty much a non-event. Hope all goes well further north.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
8/19/08 8:40 a.m.

interestingly enough, the storm actually strengthened a touch in terms of minimum central pressure AFTER it was over land. weird.

My parents in Naples just lost a few branches

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/19/08 9:31 a.m.

Yeah, that's bass ackwards. This storm seems to be pretty minimal as hurricanes go but it is sure doing some weird stuff.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
8/19/08 10:35 a.m.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid823425597/bclid877032950/bctid1739970513

Darwin visits tropical storm country...no, that wasn't me.

cwh
cwh Dork
8/19/08 11:36 a.m.

That happened about 2 miles from my house. People do some really stooopid things during storms.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
8/19/08 12:18 p.m.

Please send Fay to Columbus Oh, Hi ya we could use the rain!

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/19/08 12:46 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid823425597/bclid877032950/bctid1739970513 Darwin visits tropical storm country...no, that wasn't me.

Can't link a video from work, but if that was the kite surfing guy, my first thought: 'Dope on a rope'.

Per Schroeder
8/19/08 1:01 p.m.

Yea, I'm going to hell, I can't watch that without chuckling.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard
8/19/08 1:43 p.m.

Let that be a lesson to all: don't tie yourself to a giant sail in the middle of a hurricane, for fun.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/19/08 1:58 p.m.

Who knew?

cwh
cwh Dork
8/19/08 4:07 p.m.

And, don't say "Gee, I wish a tropical storm could come by here cause we could use the rain". You might just get 12" and 60mph winds to go with it. No fun.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
8/19/08 4:11 p.m.

I'm guessing the guy standing around in a harness is his buddy. I wonder if he's thinking "thank God that wasn't me" or saying "Dude... extreme!"

Suppose it depends on how dumb (or drunk) they were when they first thought it might be a good idea.

Spitsix
Spitsix New Reader
8/19/08 9:56 p.m.

Much improved track - Now it's going to be a Cat 1 right over my House

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/20/08 7:10 a.m.

As of 8AM 8/20 looks like it's basically sitting right on Daytona Beach. Stay safe and dry, guys.

Per Schroeder
8/20/08 7:19 a.m.

Meh. It's still about 50 miles south of here. The question is...is it just going to keep sitting there? or is it going to move out a bit, strengthen and come back in.

so far, we've just gotten some small branches down and leaves...not even that much rain.

hurray for being on the left side of the storm and not the right.

cwh
cwh Dork
8/20/08 7:38 a.m.

I hate the waitng. You know it's coming, you know it's going to do a few bad things, but it just sits out there, totally unpredicable and mindless. They have been doing a much better job of predicting, but this one is WAY off the predicted track. Of course my family in Tampa is happy they were wrong. Hoping y'all fare well.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ekZ7oOBmgoifqbHRvgxY18GFjzUeWUSqJWjVcwRwj0cJM9LrEkbWxZLrSwfhsjEV